2012 Spark Plug question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ozzy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Well after extensive reading I decided it was time to order my plugs. My truck has 103k on it. I'm the 2nd owner so figured I'd change out the plugs as the last record I can find it was done is at 50k.
Went to rockauto and was looking up parts for it and a explorer I'm fixing up, and i noticed the 92174 NGK OEM plugs listed now has a note below it directing folks to the NKG 92145 iridium plugs as a FCA OES recommended replacement.

What if anything has changed? 99.9% of everything I have read says use copper plugs, change at 30k. My manual calls for copper but I have to admit I've used platinum in the past and have had fantastic results but had recently swapped and started using iridium in all my other vehicles for the last 100k with excellent results as well.
I plan to call the local dealer and just ask to see if this information is indeed correct but figured I'd ask on here as well. Most of the relevant post to this topic concerning the model year of mine is dated back in 15/16 so perhaps there has been an improvement or correction someplace along the line. I just like the idea of 100k intervals being as they are 16 to swap now instead of 8 lol.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
What year is your truck? In 2013 or 2014 they updated to the iridium plugs. They changed the coil pack. The earlier 2012 and before Hemi coil packs don't have the power to handle the iridium plugs. And they end up miss firing or having issues. Just stick with the copper plugs.

Edit sorry I just realised your title says 2012. Stick to the coppers a lot of people have had issues with the plat or iridium plugs.

RAMTRPR

"Enjoy The Little Things"
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What if you are running a non-OEM coil, like MSD or Accel? Can you run iridium then?

2009 QCSB - Not Stock [emoji41]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

rotwiler

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 QC Outdoorsman
Engine
My 2013 still had ngk nickel plugs, they changed to iridium mid 2013. Just changed mine last week with just over 40k on truck, made big difference even though old plugs looks fine. You can buy the mopar ngk nickel(copper) plugs on amazon for $61 for a set of 16.

OP
OP
O

Ozzy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
What year is your truck? In 2013 or 2014 they updated to the iridium plugs. They changed the coil pack. The earlier 2012 and before Hemi coil packs don't have the power to handle the iridium plugs. And they end up miss firing or having issues. Just stick with the copper plugs.

Edit sorry I just realised your title says 2012. Stick to the coppers a lot of people have had issues with the plat or iridium plugs.
I get what ya saying, what I don't understand If the coil pack changed from the factory in mid 2013 why is the NKG (48716) coil pack the same replacement pack for 2011-2015 model years? I just matched that number, I didn't look at the other brands.
It looks as if after 2015 NKG isnt offered as a replacment part on there web site, or perhaps this aftermarket pack is of a different design than that of the factory version with an increase in power.
I do not wish to seem to dense here, I just dont understand what could cause problems.

daveray9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I get what ya saying, what I don't understand If the coil pack changed from the factory in mid 2013 why is the NKG (48716) coil pack the same replacement pack for 2011-2015 model years? I just matched that number, I didn't look at the other brands.
It looks as if after 2015 NKG isnt offered as a replacment part on there web site, or perhaps this aftermarket pack is of a different design than that of the factory version with an increase in power.
I do not wish to seem to dense here, I just dont understand what could cause problems.

I have a 2012 as well and have been trying to figure this out for a few years. If the COPs were different, changing plug types would be an issue. However, like you, I compared model numbers from the 09-2012 and the 13+. Everywhere I looked the COPs have the same part number.

Only reason I kept copper is they are a ***** to change.. and if they do have an issue I dont want to have to change them again right after I just did em.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Wahrsuul

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Its kinda confusing, I've been over this site a few times, and for the most part from what I can tell, the coil change came in 2015. After that, the plug change interval went up. I've heard it said that you could get a set of '15 coils and run the iridium plugs for a 100k interval, but no one would own up to doing it.

I haven't had my '09 long enough to have to change the plugs yet, but on my previous Dakota, it sure didn't like anything but the coppers. Since I've read lost of feedback here about people trying other plugs then going back to the copper, I'll just save myself some trouble and start there.

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
Maybe I'm wrong about the coil pack but something is different I had a 14 and it had the 100k iridium plugs. Something change with the 4th gen update. I searched more than just this forum when I did the plugs in my 2010 and lots of people had issues from the ram to the charger to the challengers also.

rwreuter

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You could always just pull one of the easiest plugs and see what the part number on it is and then order that one.

dropkicknick

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
time to do the spark plugs myself and saw the same thing on rockauto

(copy and pasted straight from rockauto)
OEM copper:

"NGK 92174 {#LZFR5C11}
Dual Plug; Gap 0.044"; Actual FCA OE NICKEL plug (30,000 mi/48,000 km interval). **NOTE: FCA OES now recommends IRIDIUM extended service plug."

Recommend Iridium:

"NGK 92145 Laser Iridium
Dual Plug; Gap 0.044"; Recommended FCA IRIDIUM OE extended service part (100,000 mi/160,000 km interval)"

came to the forums to figure it out. im all about using OEM but if i can get another 70,000 miles between changing these suckers out im all for that too.

for the people who have ran iridium and have had issues, did you use the same part number as the one above? because im seeing quite a few different iridium models. im thinking these have maybe different construction to allow it to work better with our coils? idk ill keep digging but if anyone has TSB or something to show this to be true or not or some sort of announcement from chrysler would settle this pretty quick. if not then copper it is

EDIT: the NHTSA website has 34 Manufacturer Communications about my truck but 9 of the communications say "summery to be provided at a future date". but no where else does it mention spark plugs

EDIT 2: NGK is the MOPAR OES. so i went to the NGK website. the "NGK LASER SERIES IRIDIUM" (the same series thats recommended from rockauto) is built to OE standards while the "NGK IRIDIUM IX SERIES" is built for performance. since NGK is the oes i imagine they know there stuff so i might try out a set of laser series and see how it goes

Last edited:

Wahrsuul

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I looked at RA a while back about this. Info here says that the around '14/'15 FCA went to iridium plugs and a 100k service interval. If you look at RA pat numbers for the coils, the later models have a different part number. I'm thinking it's more than just plugs changed.

dropkicknick

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I've read about having to change coils to go iridium but was thinking since its labeled "OE replacement" that tells me modifications are not required. I'd understand if they slapped the "Performance replacement" tag on it like on the ngk iridium IX series

Got me thinking that maybe these are re-engineered plugs. Heat range and resistance are the exact same as OE copper and from what I understand, those are the 2 major issues when moving up to less conducive plugs like iridium or platinum.

Could be way off base so let me down gently

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Dropkick, all I can tell you is that other than oe plugs have not played well in your model.

RAMTRPR

"Enjoy The Little Things"
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The NGK Iridium IX series model number is LZTR4AIX-11. I am trying those to see how they act in my 2009. I had coppers and the OEM lasers and didn’t see much of a difference.

My mods are basically everything engine wise except power adder and cam.

2009 QCSB 4WD - Not Stock [emoji41]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
firefox9