2013/2014 SPORT DIY (Partial Tow hooks)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
M

MiRamDriver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What would you say is a fair price to have custom fabricated two hooks added to a 2014 Limited?

At a shop, probably 4 Hours @ $100/hr (ish) + $150 in parts. They have to pull the bumper, measure, cut & weld adapter brackets, attach them, attach the hooks and re-install the bumper.

Knighthawk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Done

So after reading this thread I figured I could pull this off. I found a pair of hooks on Amazon being sold by a Dodge dealer in Texas (about 136 shipped). When they arrived I pulled the bumper insert and made some cuts that I thought would be large enough to feed the hooks through but small enough not to be too noticeable. Found out right quick that I made them too far off one side and not far enough on the other (off center). When feeding the hooks through you really don't have a lot of room to angle the hooks around anything. You really need to have a straight shot from the back through the holes you cut. Not a big deal really, they ended up looking great. Thanks for showing me that all the dealers that I talked to are just as dumb as I thought they where when I talked to them about what I wanted to do. Another project complete thanks to Ramforum... Pictures attached. I took more pictures during if any one wants them. Different angles inside and such.

Attachments

• 20140709_193341.jpg
    20140709_193341.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 484
  • 20140709_165247.jpg
    20140709_165247.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 187
  • 20140709_165330.jpg
    20140709_165330.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 457
  • 20140709_165447.jpg
    20140709_165447.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 213
  • 20140709_193602.jpg
    20140709_193602.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 463

nickb1907

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram Sport
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So after reading this thread I figured I could pull this off. I found a pair of hooks on Amazon being sold by a Dodge dealer in Texas (about 136 shipped). When they arrived I pulled the bumper insert and made some cuts that I thought would be large enough to feed the hooks through but small enough not to be too noticeable. Found out right quick that I made them too far off one side and not far enough on the other (off center). When feeding the hooks through you really don't have a lot of room to angle the hooks around anything. You really need to have a straight shot from the back through the holes you cut. Not a big deal really, they ended up looking great. Thanks for showing me that all the dealers that I talked to are just as dumb as I thought they where when I talked to them about what I wanted to do. Another project complete thanks to Ramforum... Pictures attached. I took more pictures during if any one wants them. Different angles inside and such.

Can you give me a measurement on where the hook comes through the plastic? I attached a picture for reference. I think this will make the mod even easier for me instead of guessing I will know exactly where the cut is. And can you confirm it is the same on the opposite side?

Thanks

Attachments

• Hook Measurement.jpg
    Hook Measurement.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 1,212

Knighthawk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
hi. Love to help. First, I would not cut it as big as I did. So to help you out right, let me say that these measurements are to where the hook is not where I cut. Here are the measurements as you asked for them. The X is 10.5 Inches from the outer edge of the plastic and the Y is 4.5 inches from the same edge.

But you will see that I did not go 10.5 for my first cut. I made my first cut (in the picture you used) on the right at the point of the plastic stopped so as not to cut in to it. I would start there again. From that point I went over 6 inches for my sec cut. WAY to wide.

If I where to do it again, I would cut as close to where the hook was going to sit (measurement for Y) and only open that up if you are not happy with how tight it is. Also The over all height of the opening is 1.5 inches currently. I would have started at 1 inch from the bottom.

Second, If when installing the hook, you will remove the top mounting bracket and install it separate this will go easier and you can keep the hole smaller than I did. coming at the opening from an angle then straightening out after it is through the hole.

Really hope this helps. Sorry it is so long.

nickb1907

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram Sport
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sorry, I swapped the X and Y in my post to start with. It is corrected now.

Thanks for the help, not having tow hooks and given a donut spare are the 2 things dodge screwed up on this truck.

dkmesa

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Knighthawk - thanks for the additional info and pics. very helpful. Do you have any side profile shots that show how far the hooks stick out relative to the front edge of the bumper? I'm hoping that, as an added benefit of adding hooks, that the hooks might stand a chance of light front end impact like pulling forward too far in the garage, etc before scratching the paint on the bumper.

Rodallg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi

Can you send me the other pics you have plus any measurement you may have taken for the cut out? Did you remove the center piece to trim? I tried to remove today and was afraid to break the clips, is there a secret?
Thanks

Knighthawk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I did not take any side pictures, but I just went and looked, if you hit a curb straight on you will hit the bumper first. If by some miracle you happen to hit it at just the right angle there is a small small small chance you COULD hit the hook first in the right circumstance. In other words, don't count on the hooks saving your bumper..

Knighthawk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
If you look back to my reply to Nickb1907 you will see the best measurements I have taken. I would start by leaving the truck out in the sun for a bit, the plastic was softer and easier to cut that way. Then just use a good sharp knife and cut the part out still in the truck. Be careful not to cut too far, the plastic is pretty easy to cut when it is warm. I used the bottom trim as a guide to cut the bottom cut. I would start out cutting it small and open it up more if you need too. Good luck I hope it helps a little.

OP
OP
M

MiRamDriver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

You do realize that your hooks are on backwards.... Correct? How do you even get a rope in there?

This is how mine have been on two trucks now and work properly.

T22_zps35a6ff61.jpg

Knighthawk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
We had that same talk earlier in the thread. Where do you get that it is "wrong"? One way or the other you have about the same amount of room to put a rope in. The reason I did not do it the way you did was that it pushes on the lower part of the bumper. That caused it to be deformed. The only way you would have a problem either way is if you are trying to pull the truck to the side, ever really a good idea any way. It bowls down to what works.

OP
OP
M

MiRamDriver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
We had that same talk earlier in the thread. Where do you get that it is "wrong"? One way or the other you have about the same amount of room to put a rope in. The reason I did not do it the way you did was that it pushes on the lower part of the bumper. That caused it to be deformed. The only way you would have a problem either way is if you are trying to pull the truck to the side, ever really a good idea any way. It bowls down to what works.

It is "wrong" because that is not how the hooks were designed to mount. You don't have the same amount of room, believe me, I tested both ways. If you trim the valance properly (Flush with the painted surface) and don't use the locator pin there is no deformation. See below.

T21_zps7f5ce6e3.jpg
T16_zpse72a32ea.jpg

Last edited:

jwheeler

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You do realize that your hooks are on backwards.... Correct? How do you even get a rope in there?

This is how mine have been on two trucks now and work properly.

T22_zps35a6ff61.jpg

It is hard to see from your pics. Is the open part of the hook to the inside or the outside of the truck?

nickb1907

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram Sport
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It is "wrong" because that is not how the hooks were designed to mount. You don't have the same amount of room, believe me, I tested both ways. If you trim the valance properly (Flush with the painted surface) and don't use the locator pin there is no deformation. See below.

T21_zps7f5ce6e3.jpg
T16_zpse72a32ea.jpg

I agree with them needing to be turned outward. Got mine done today and tried them both ways. There was no way for me to get a strap around the hook with them facing inward. It looks that it would have a lot less cutting though.

Below are some of the pics from my install. I few things for people that do it in the future. You need a minimum of 4.5" opening to get the hook through. I believe from the edge of the plastic inward I ended up being at 12". Trial and error put me at a 6" wide opening but I am okay with it. Also you have to trim the lip of the plastic piece where the hooks contact the bumper. My touched barely am I am fine with it.

Attachments

• IMAG0496[1].jpg
    IMAG0496[1].jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 892
  • IMAG0497[1].jpg
    IMAG0497[1].jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 315
  • IMAG0498[1].jpg
    IMAG0498[1].jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 547
  • IMAG0495.jpg
    IMAG0495.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 2,557

Airborne314

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Think I just found my first mod to my truck when it gets here! Thanks guys

Pault9797

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Just curious I saw that it was said that the tow hooks would not work with a body lift and I was wondering if they would work with my bilstein 5100s in the front? Also I have a 09 sport and wondering what how hooks would work with it thanks

jwheeler

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just curious I saw that it was said that the tow hooks would not work with a body lift and I was wondering if they would work with my bilstein 5100s in the front? Also I have a 09 sport and wondering what how hooks would work with it thanks

The bilsteins raise the while truck up and will be fine. A body lift raises just the body up from the frame so that the hooks won't stick out the hole in the bumper anymore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GOGO

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Added to my to do list.