2013 after market bumper issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

makerman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hi Guys, looking for some help and surprised I can't find other threads on this.
I put an aftermarket rough country bumper on my 2013 1500 sport. I had previously added the tow hitch attachment as I did not get the tow package initially.
Now the tailgate will not open and lay flat as it rests on the bumper. I am unable to get the bumper lower as it sits on the bolt in the top of the tow hitch.
I don't really want to cut a hole in the bumper like the stock bumper have.
It seems my only option is to replace the whole tow bar.
When I look online I find lots of options that say they fit my truck however when I look under the truck it seems the bumper also bolts onto the main bar that the tow hitch is on.
As you can see in the attached pictures the Mopar one has the extra plates on the front side. It also has a bolt hole on the top similar to the location of the large bolt on my current hitch!?
I don't was to buy one and end up with the same issues.
Anyone else been through this or have some advice on the easiest and most cost effective way of solving this?
Thanks!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240509_054618_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20240509_054618_Samsung Internet.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 7
  • Screenshot_20240509_054808_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20240509_054808_Samsung Internet.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 7

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
I would leave the hitch as is and work on getting the bumper to fit properly. Bullet Proof in Red Deer makes lots of choices and they will ensure it fits, if you can send the Rough Country back. If you can't send the Rough Country back you may want to modify it so it fits correctly. Rough Country is expensive and tend to make poor quality, poor fitting stuff. For sure never buy any of their lift or suspension stuff.

2010 Dodge Rear Bumper
MSRP: $1,595 CAD
With Sensors: $ 1,745 CAD
Rear Bumpers are designed to utilize the existing Factory receiver hitch
  • Comes Standard with 2 hidden reverse lamp mounts
  • Integrated side steps mounted 6" below the top of the bumper
  • Side steps and center step come standard with custom fit polyurethane coated inserts

Last edited: