2013 diesel smells like coolant all the time

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SuperBeaner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Cannot find a leak, but it always smells like the coolant tank is overflowing.

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Had the same issue with my 2013 Hemi, strong smell of coolant around the front of the truck after driving it. Took it to the dealer (that was a mistake), they topped off my coolant level, said they found nothing, and to keep an eye on it. Thanks a lot!

My son added a dye that would glow by black light to the coolant. After several days of driving, he took a black light to the engine bay and walla, there was the leak. The leak came from the coolant temperature sensor mounting location, the leak was only visible as a bubbling from the sensor mount when the engine was running and up to temperature. A simple tightening of the sensor fixed the problem.

Look for loose hardware on all the hose clamps, etc. I bet your leak is like the one I had, you are basically smelling the evaporation of the coolant boiling away.

Last edited:

walter

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Cannot find a leak, but it always smells like the coolant tank is overflowing.

Assuming 2013 has the same set up as 2014

The top radiator hose check the plastic Y close to the Engine oil dip stick. that is a known area of leak. I just had to replace mine last week. Mine was leaking very little on the bottom. I had to get a mirror to see it.

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Didn’t the cumin’s just have a massive water pump recall??

Dodge4x4810

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I have a '17 6.4 and I get the smell from time to time. There is no coolant loss, but to make sure, I have pressure tested it and found no leaks. I have heard many people with the same complaint and to my understanding...there is some problem with the hoses from the factory. Something about the material it was made out of, allowing it to cause this smell. That's what I have heard anyways. If you do a search on this site, I am sure you will find many people with this problem.

But, that being said, you have the Cummins and not a Hemi, so this could all be different. I also looked at recalls and campaigns on a program I use for work. For that year there is no recall on the water pump. I believe there was a recall years before. We had a 2009 Ram 5500 Wrecker with a 6.7 and I had to prematurely put a water pump in it. I believe it was under warranty, but the truck gets used 24/7, so we could not wait. So, I did it myself.

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Several threads on this in the past and it seems many get the smell but really don't have anything else. I'm a Hemi owner and often get a whiff but that's about it. I can't remember for sure but it seems like it may be more of an issue with the Hemi than the Cummins.

Ram13BH

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CUMMINS