2013 Dodge Ram 1500 Transmission Flush

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kusanation

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I just went to Mr.Lube and decided to do a transmission flush on my 2013 5.7L Dodge Ram. It’s currently running at 155,000km and has never had it done before. Is this okay? I don’t think they dropped the pan and changed the filter. From what I understood was they flushed out all the old fluid and put the new fluid in. Is this okay? Or is there an issue with how this was done? Was the pan and filter suppose to be changed? Why would they not do it? Did I messed up my truck? Help!

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
On the non ZF 8 speed transmission a transmission service means you drop the trans pan install a new filter then refill with fresh ATF, nothing in your owners manual states for you to have it flushed, the problem with flushing is it can/ will loosen gunk hidden all over the inside, you can almost bet the old filter inside is/will get clogged and not doing is job properly and breaks down... As it was passed on to me many, many moons ago by a transmission shop owner & rebuilder, never let any shop Flush your transmission while its still in the vehicle, all it will do is cause problems, some times sooner rather than later.

Good Luck....

OP
OP
K

Kusanation

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Oh damn... is there anything I should do? Should I try to drop the pan and change the filter?

OP
OP
K

Kusanation

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Okay maybe Ill call Mr.Lube and ask them for a refund or something since the dummy doing the work didnt advise me correctly!

Spoke to a local transmission shop and he told me its not the end of the world and it should be fine but advised that the pan drop was the method that should have been used for this transmission.

markabby

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
correct me if i'm wrong, but, isn't there like tons of transmission oil in the torque convertor that never gets changed when you empty the transmission fluid?

markabby

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Okay maybe Ill call Mr.Lube and ask them for a refund or something since the dummy doing the work didnt advise me correctly!

Spoke to a local transmission shop and he told me its not the end of the world and it should be fine but advised that the pan drop was the method that should have been used for this transmission.

so, you going to have him correct it? or, wait till the "end of the world" to happen? He'll always deny he told you that.

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD

Well of course they would say that, did you really think they would openly bad mouth another business to some unknow person?

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I just went to Mr.Lube and decided to do a transmission flush on my 2013 5.7L Dodge Ram. It’s currently running at 155,000km and has never had it done before. Is this okay? I don’t think they dropped the pan and changed the filter. From what I understood was they flushed out all the old fluid and put the new fluid in. Is this okay? Or is there an issue with how this was done? Was the pan and filter suppose to be changed? Why would they not do it? Did I messed up my truck? Help!
Do you have the 8 speed or the 6 speed?

OP
OP
K

Kusanation

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Well of course they would say that, did you really think they would openly bad mouth another business to some unknow person?
Sorry, I should mention that this transmission shop that I called is somewhat familiar with me as they have worked on my rear diff before. When I called the guy he remembered me and when I explained to him that they did a flush and not a pan drop he said they should have done a pan drop instead but its not the end of the world if I did a flush. Sound about right?

markabby

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
since you went with a "flush" might as well go for the new filter. At this point, i know they have to charge for the additional fluid, but peace of mind is worth it. I'd watch too.

just my opinion

buckeyexx

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
If it were me I would have the filter changed. Im not too familiar with the 8 speed trans but I do know its a little more involved than just dropping the pan. Not sure if its something your comfortable doing yourself but if not I would have a shop handle it. If it were the 6 speed rfe trans then its a pretty straight forward process. Im sure someone with more knowledge on the 8 speed will chime in.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I have the knob on my dash so I believe it is 8 Speed
You need a new transmission pan to change the filter.The filter is part of the pan,and the only way to change it,is to replace the pan.Here's the instructions for checking the fluid level after you've changed the pan and filter.You do need to jack the rear tires roughly about 8 to 9" off the ground to get the pan rail level.

Attachments

• IMG_3383 (2).JPG
    IMG_3383 (2).JPG
    272.9 KB · Views: 18
OP
OP
K

Kusanation

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
You need a new transmission pan to change the filter.The filter is part of the pan,and the only way to change it,is to replace the pan.Here's the instructions for checking the fluid level after you've changed the pan and filter.You do need to jack the rear tires roughly about 8 to 9" off the ground to get the pan rail level.
So I called back to ask them how much to drop the pan and change it out and they said the same thing you said that the entire pan needs to be changed because the filter is attached to it. They said since that is the case it is not a $200 job but rather a $650 job because of the part to buy the pan. I cant spend another $600-$650 right now. You guys think im okay to just leave it with a flush? They are saying it is?...

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
So I called back to ask them how much to drop the pan and change it out and they said the same thing you said that the entire pan needs to be changed because the filter is attached to it. They said since that is the case it is not a $200 job but rather a $650 job because of the part to buy the pan. I cant spend another $600-$650 right now. You guys think im okay to just leave it with a flush? They are saying it is?...
It's not cheap to service the 8 speed transmission,lol.It's not hard to do at home,but it's still not overly cheap even doing it yourself. As soon as you can afford it,it's probably worth doing though,as you still have a dirty filter in there,but for now you're probably okay

OP
OP
K

Kusanation

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
It's not cheap to service the 8 speed transmission,lol.It's not hard to do at home,but it's still not overly cheap even doing it yourself. As soon as you can afford it,it's probably worth doing though,as you still have a dirty filter in there,but for now you're probably okay
Okay sounds good! Thanks!

markabby

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
wouldn't you like to ask the engineer that designed that where his head was at?

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
wouldn't you like to ask the engineer that designed that where his head was at?
That is the downside to the 8 speed.The aftermarket has that covered,but you still need to buy the aftermarket pan to get one with a replacable filter

markabby

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That is the downside to the 8 speed.The aftermarket has that covered,but you still need to buy the aftermarket pan to get one with a replacable filter

this guy has a pretty detailed procedure on changing the fluid and pan:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowrider357