Transmission Flush?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

A

abraxasowner

Can anybody tell me if they have had a transmission flush done and what were the long term results? I had one done on my old truck (2002 Chevy Silverado) and put 47k miles on it with no problems. Bought a 2013 Ram 1500 Tradesman SC 2WD in December and did an oil change and coolant change soon as I got it. I own a Roadside Assistance company and put a lot of miles on my vehicles and want to protect it as much as possible. Thanks in advance for any help.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
What transmission does your tk have BTW? (or....is there a dip stick?). I assume it's a 1500? How many miles? Much towing?

When you say 'flush' ...are you talking, they flushed the tranny with solvent? Or they exchanged the old fluid with new ATF? Just want to be sure your definition of 'flush' is the same as what I think of flush (solvent). Thanks

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Can anybody tell me if they have had a transmission flush done and what were the long term results? I had one done on my old truck (2002 Chevy Silverado) and put 47k miles on it with no problems. Bought a 2013 Ram 1500 Tradesman SC 2WD in December and did an oil change and coolant change soon as I got it. I own a Roadside Assistance company and put a lot of miles on my vehicles and want to protect it as much as possible. Thanks in advance for any help.
If you have the rfe trans, 6 speed,, I would just do a drop the pan and change the filter.

Last edited:

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
What transmission does your tk have BTW?
If the OP truck is a '13 with the 4.7L engine it will have the 65RFE Transmission. Only the 3.6L and 5.7L could have the ZF 8spd transmission (shift knob and no dipstick).

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
True...I forgot about that (4.7L).

OP
OP
A

abraxasowner

Way they explained it to me was they use a detergent based solution that doesn't harm any parts or seals, etc. They have a dedicated bay with a constant temperature of 65 degrees and it pushes through the system while a vacuum pump pulls the old stuff out. When we do a "regular" fluid/filter change only 40% of the old fluid is actually expunged. Their flush gets ALL the old out, torque converter, pan bottom, filter, etc. Then a second neutral solution gets any residual flush fluid out. Finally they install new fluid specifically for your make/model vehicle and give a 75K mile guarantee. These are guys I've done business with for years and the first time I talked to Dan I said " GUARANTEE ?" He said yep. We'll replace your entire transmission and cover Towing or other costs if our system fails in any way. But now I gotta put a disclaimer here. These are guys I know. Somebody else, somewhere else may or may not go to all that trouble. Total cost for my other truck that had it done... $189 out the door. 2002 Chevy Silverado. I totalled it on the way to a 12:30 am Roadside call. Got blinded by a Jack up rig oncoming and head on into a parked car facing the wrong way on a residential street. That was Nov. 17th last year had surgery for a broken shoulder Dec. 1st, bought the Ram Dec. 6th and was taking calls again December 10th.

Attachments

• 20240103_135610.jpg
    20240103_135610.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 6

crackerjack1957

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport 1500 CC 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7...65RFE...4.56
Wow, that had to hurt.......back on the job quickly after surgery also.

Pretty sure you have the 65rfe trans.
Don't see a problem with the flush but make sure they change the filters.

Redline C+ is the best trans fluid for that transmission.

OP
OP
A

abraxasowner

Thanks for the info and response. That was my old truck(R.I.P.) I'm gonna have the Ram done next week. Appreciate the heads up on the Redline C+. Dan said if I request it he'll change the filter. And yeah, it did hurt like, well it hurt. Still does now and then but me and my dogs gotta eat and folks don't stop breaking down just because I broke me. Anyway, thanks again.

crackerjack1957

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport 1500 CC 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7...65RFE...4.56
Best rfe transmission gasket... Sumit Racing & Amazon will have also

OP
OP
A

abraxasowner

Thanks. I'll go with Summit. They got a long history and I try to avoid Amazon when possible. They no speak gud inglish.

62Blazer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have no issues with people doing a trans flush. As stated if you just pull the pan and filter you leave a lot of the old fluid in the system....but it's still better than nothing. However I usually recommend, and many shops do the same, of just flushing fresh trans fluid through the system versus using any solvents or anything. If the trans has any age on it the color of the old fluid is usually way different than fresh fluid. They just run a few gallons of fresh ATF through the system until what comes out looks nice and bright red like fresh fluid.

OP
OP
A

abraxasowner

Thank you for your response. However as noted under Disclaimer in my post these are guys I've known for years and they may or may not have gone out of their way to do mine right. I'llrefrain from offering mechanical advice about other people doing work. Put in short form, I'll have my Ram done next week and allow everyone else to do their own assessment according to their needs. Thank you again for the response and have a blessed week.