2013 Dodge Ram 1500 Transmission Flush

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
this guy has a pretty detailed procedure on changing the fluid and pan:

Except he doesn't level the transmission to check the fluid level.The transmission "pan rail" needs to be leveled front to rear and side to side in the trucks.In the cars it's not as big a deal,as their 8 speeds sit virtually level in the chassis,but in the trucks the transmission faces downhill. It's important enough ZF highlights it as the very first paragraph in the instructions that come with a brand new truck specific 8 speed,bought through my local dealer.Cost me a few bucks to get these instructions,lol

Attachments

• IMG_3383 (2).JPG
    IMG_3383 (2).JPG
    272.9 KB · Views: 11

Jas34

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If this is the 8 speed, depending on what the lube shop charged you I would question what they used for fluid. It would have taken a lot of fluid and the proper fluid for that transmission doesn't come cheap. I would do the filter sooner than later.

buckeyexx

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
If this is the 8 speed, depending on what the lube shop charged you I would question what they used for fluid. It would have taken a lot of fluid and the proper fluid for that transmission doesn't come cheap. I would do the filter sooner than later.
I agree. Thats a very good point. I would be concerned they even knew the type of fluid they were using. Not trying to concern the op but I would be asking this question to the quick lube shop that performed this. Could be good but I would find out.

farout75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 L
I just went to Mr.Lube and decided to do a transmission flush on my 2013 5.7L Dodge Ram. It’s currently running at 155,000km and has never had it done before. Is this okay? I don’t think they dropped the pan and changed the filter. From what I understood was they flushed out all the old fluid and put the new fluid in. Is this okay? Or is there an issue with how this was done? Was the pan and filter suppose to be changed? Why would they not do it? Did I messed up my truck? Help!
I would NEVER take my RAM to a Mr. Lube! By the owners manual and MOPAR Warranty the trans fluid should be changed at 120,000 miles. Yes that means changing the pan/filter. Just pumping the fluid leaves all the gunk in the filter.

Daniel from Texas

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Absolutely not, they/you have to use ZF fluid and change the pan. The filters are part of the pan and have to be replaced. If that is the 8 speed and it should be, there is no other way to do it.

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If it was my truck yes I would drop the pan and install a new transmission filter, the sooner the better, that is if you can afford it, JMHO
I agree. With respect to the cost, whether he can afford it or not the alternative could be much more expensive!

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33-gallon fuel tank, 18” wheels. Build Date: 3 June 2018. Now at 105570 miles.

Tominator223

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
IMO. If you’re going to flush a trans. It should be done at low miles 40-50k. Automatic’s. Not manual. If you do this at low miles , you can often skip the filter(s) once. If you go to 80k or more , it’s often best to just do the filter(s) & the 6-8qts it take’s to just do filter(s). I’ve got the 545rfe . I only did filters &7qts ever 50k & I got 300k out of it. Before the clutch’s were gone. The trans guy I used said he’d never seen one get that many miles. You went 155k then flushed . I would do the filter(s) as soon as you can. Because a flush does NOT clean or flush the filter(s).

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The flushing machine doesn't flush fluid so hard it's going to 'significantly' disturb any 'gunk' at the bottom of the pan. Generally that stuff becomes kind of a sticky film and needs to be brushed with solvent or gasoline, on vehicles to remove ..on vehicles where ya reuse the pan. Not like a snow globe.

More than likely, I would almost guess, they probably used like a Valvoline (works for most) fluid. But find out for sure.

OP, if you're not really mechanically inclined, yer probably better off letting another shop change your truck's tranny fluid/filter ...as long as they know how to do it 'right'. It's a messy job and even as simple as it is for a mechanic, there are plenty of ways a newbie can screw it up. Ask the shop questions how they'd go about it ..because a lot of shops are going to do it the 'easy way' and put new fluid in it while on the hoist and not follow the EXACT procedures. But this tranny is different, So be sure to ask the questions ...and BE THERE ..standing there (watching from a distance) so you can ensure for 100% they are leveling the transmission and getting the fluid level correct. 100% level, not 90% level. I personally wouldn't take any shop's word that they will do it 'right'. Shops and mechanics default to the easiest way to do a job 85% of the time. Be there to be sure.

But yeah, that's why it's expensive to do 'right'. And BTW, most other cars that use the same tranny, the transmission sits almost level in the car. You can do those on a hoist. But that's not the case for the Ram. So if a shop say, "Oh, we do those ZF's all the time and we can do them on a hoist." they're not thinking about Ram trucks where the tranny is angled downwards.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
That said, I'm personally not a big fan of flushing machines. In the real world there's too much opportunity to introduce contamination from dirty line connectors (machine-side), and dirt/rust/debris on the vehicle side.

If a guy just looked at some exchange machines' hose end connectors as they sit in the shop, ...and I have looked at a few, it would keep me from wanting it put on my truck. Plus it doesn't change the filter. In an ideal world a tech would clean the ends with a clean brush in solvent or gasoline and ensure they were 100% clean and not a "single" speck of dirt, sand or rust on them. And the same on the truck-side. But they don't. You might have 5 guys using the machine. The ends are often gobbed up with a grease/dirt mix, and the truck-side can be dirty too.

And how clean is the inside of the flushing machine's new-oil tank? They probably have a screen/filter, but still?? Have they mixed oils in the past? Did one worker who couldn't pass a THC test, screw up and put motor oil in a few days ago? Or type F that the parts store mistakenly delivered ...and nobody noticed, or didn't care to say anything? Overall, I wouldn't let a high-schooler or even an advanced tech put a flush machine on my truck. Unless I observed the whole procedure. The reason most trannys can "typically" last so many miles these days is they seal them up better, and cut out people from putting in whatever fluid they have on-hand and crud falling inside. And better fluid. Just a theory

I had a chance to get a tranny flushing machine real cheap. From a repair shop. Looked it over. Not too bad on the outside. It was kind of disgusting everywhere else. I'm thinking to myself, "Wow, I wonder how many tranny flushes have been done with this dirty machine?! I told myself the 'old fashioned way' was a lot more hermetic although more effort. But still, I didn't want to 'murder' anyone's transmission (or mine).

All that said, some guys are finicky with cleanliness. Hopefully the tech doing the OP's truck was super careful and detail-oriented and had everything clean when doing the job.

Last edited:

Jas34

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Some one finally said it, what oil did they use? That is the issue here.
There are alternative fluids that can be used besides the Mopar 8/9 or the ZF fluids. Valvoline, Amsoil… there’s options

Regardless of what many on this forum put in their 8 speeds (and I'm not saying it doesn't work), from a shop's point of view, I can't imagine one wanting to take on the liability of using anything that isn't approved by ZF. (At least any shop that I would let work on my vehicle.)

Here's the aftermarket list from ZF. To the best of my knowledge, there isn't another one that lists any of the other aftermarket brands. The "approved" list here for the 8 speed is all oem.

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
"The flushing machine doesn't flush fluid so hard it's going to 'significantly' disturb any 'gunk' at the bottom of the pan."
I assume you are referring to the bladder exchange system.

Some shops still use a force method, especial to blow out transmission cooling lines and cooler where clutch silt likes to congregate. In fact, some techs. replace the cooling lines on a rebuild to ensure a perfectly clean and unobstructed path.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33-gallon fuel tank, 18” wheels. Build Date: 3 June 2018. Now at 105756 miles.

farout75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 L
There are alternative fluids that can be used besides the Mopar 8/9 or the ZF fluids. Valvoline, Amsoil… there’s options
To rebuild a ZF 8 speed around close to $5K. Its just not worth the risk using any of the other fluids, no matter how good they say they are, especially if its under warranty.

JJRR

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
On my 2014 Ram 8 speed, I have almost 200,000, and not a problem. I do have a lifetime warranty and talked to the dealer and he confirmed.1708579183821.png

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OasisNinjaBat