2013 Ram 3500 4WD bed rail height and 5th wheel

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

David1941

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
I hope to buy a 2013 Ram 3500 4wd dually mega cab short box diesel for towing a to-be-purchased 2014 Excel 31IKE 5th wheel (17,5000 GVWR). Am buying 4WD to enhance resale value and “just in case”. But I’m worried about achieving a level towing setup. The Ram has a bed rail height of around 59” unloaded .

The newer Excels already come with the springs over the axle. The Demco pin box has a height range of 41.5-45.5”. Have any of you successfully leveled your newer fivers/ 4WD trucks and attained the minimum 6” bedrail clearance?

I asked Excel the distance between pavement and the fiver's overhang (when level) that sits over the truck bed was told 60". As a newbie (and terrible at spatial relations!), I'm confused. With a 59" bed rail height and 60" from pavement to Excel's overhang, that sounds like just 1" of clearance, far from the minimum 6" needed.

Adjusting the spring shackles from the default middle to bottom hole would help a bit. Also, does the type of hitch (5th wheel or gooseneck) and the brand make a difference re clearance? Will I need to actually lower the trucks suspension or will that cause other problems?

What is the difference in bed rail height between the 2013 RAM 3500 4WD and 2WD?

Sorry to be so ignorant, but I don't want to end up with a truck that can't tow my Excel !

Thank you in advance for your replies!

David L.
Dover, NH

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Find a dealer with a 3500 dually and take it to the camper dealer and ask them what they will do about it. They wouldn't make these new 5th wheels untowable by these new trucks. There has to be some sort of adjustability in them.

OP
OP
D

David1941

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Find a dealer with a 3500 dually and take it to the camper dealer and ask them what they will do about it. They wouldn't make these new 5th wheels untowable by these new trucks. There has to be some sort of adjustability in them.

Thanks. That's what I'm banking on. A lot of new hitches have come out the past months re the Ram 3500, esp. those with the 5th wheel tow pkg.
David

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Thanks. That's what I'm banking on. A lot of new hitches have come out the past months re the Ram 3500, esp. those with the 5th wheel tow pkg.
David

Exactly, but like you said you can drop the Hitch down but if you don't have the recommended 6 inch gap it won't do you much good. If the rv dealer says that the truck would need to be lowered I would suggest another 5th wheel that is a little taller. You don't want too small of a truck when pulling a 5th wheel that big so you don't want to step down to a smaller truck, but you also don't want to settle on a 5th wheel you don't love. I would assume by your screen name that you are retired so I'm sure you will be using it a lot so you want to get what you truly want, not just what will work.

OP
OP
D

David1941

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Exactly, but like you said you can drop the Hitch down but if you don't have the recommended 6 inch gap it won't do you much good. If the rv dealer says that the truck would need to be lowered I would suggest another 5th wheel that is a little taller. You don't want too small of a truck when pulling a 5th wheel that big so you don't want to step down to a smaller truck, but you also don't want to settle on a 5th wheel you don't love. I would assume by your screen name that you are retired so I'm sure you will be using it a lot so you want to get what you truly want, not just what will work.

Already bought the Excel 31 IKE (17,500 GVWR). For year-round living situations, the Excels and the Hitchhikers are the standouts, though there may be others. If we can send a man to the moon, there's got to be a way of making this combo work even if I end up putting 1000 lbs. of cement sacks in the back of the bed!
David