2014 EcoDiesel Catalytic Converter Issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

controllerzhu

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
I bought a 2014 EcoDiesel in June and really have liked the truck, great milage and towing. But with just over 7000 miles a CEL came on which I had the dealer check. Apparently there was an issue with a DEF valve (leaking) and the converter needed replacing. They made it sound like this was a common issue, my dealer said they have had about 10 trucks in recently with this issue. (wish I was aware of this when I purchased ). The converter is a complete redesign so I've been waiting almost a month to get my truck back while the newest converter is manufactured. So please Eco Diesel owners check with your dealer about having your trucks checked. And Chrysler LLC try to keep your customers informed of issues like this maybe a recall in needed.

AOFA

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins I6
Wonder if that's why I'm going through so much DEF? How much have you gone through in your 7000 miles?

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
could possibly be.. if it is constantly leaking

OP
OP
C

controllerzhu

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
Wonder if that's why I'm going through so much DEF? How much have you gone through in your 7000 miles?

Almost 3 tanks, but I did tow an RV on about 3000 of those miles. I thought that was why I used so much DEF. When I researched before buying I thought I would get about 5000 miles or greater from one tank.

AOFA

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins I6
Yes, That's what I was told as well :/

dkmesa

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
that's annoying that they have to keep your truck until the revised truck comes in. On the plus side, you get to put miles on a loaner for a while instead of your own truck.

Ramzaq

Reaction score
Ram Year
2009 CC 4X4 3.55 Big Horn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I bought a 2014 EcoDiesel in June and really have liked the truck, great milage and towing. But with just over 7000 miles a CEL came on which I had the dealer check. Apparently there was an issue with a DEF valve (leaking) and the converter needed replacing. They made it sound like this was a common issue, my dealer said they have had about 10 trucks in recently with this issue. (wish I was aware of this when I purchased ). The converter is a complete redesign so I've been waiting almost a month to get my truck back while the newest converter is manufactured. So please Eco Diesel owners check with your dealer about having your trucks checked. And Chrysler LLC try to keep your customers informed of issues like this maybe a recall in needed.

No mention of this on the Ram 1500 Diesel forum where the majority of owners are. There is a part of an extension pipe in the exhaust system they have a problem with and are replacing but nothing about leaking valves for the DEF unit.

Last edited:

RLJ10X

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
It'd be pretty cool if you could rip all that epa junk off your truck, and be done with it.

I drive a 2010Mack tractor for UPS. It has the DEF emissions junk on it. We've had numerous little problems with that tractor over the last year, or so. All those problems were related to the emissions/DEF system. I will have to admit tho, that thing burns unbelievably clean. I go thru a lot of DEF when it's cold.

OP
OP
C

controllerzhu

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
Got my truck back today and finally got the straight story, I hope, from the head service guy. I didn't have a def fuel leak, but a exhaust leak on the back side of engine coming off the turbo. The check engine light was for P20EE, when they pulled then DEF injector the found "the injector assembly restricted and full crystallization". They replace the whole assembly. Only 7000miles on the truck what's next???
He said they replaced the particulate filter and converter in hopes that the exhaust leak will not return. They have had a few ecos in with this leak problem and apparently they have redesigned the connections. Maybe I'll use less def now since I have all new exhaust components up to the cat. Fingers crossed.

BTW I got a lot of apologies from the repair shop and mostly denials of issues from the RAM help line. You would think they would at least give a customer a free oil change service for the 2 camping trips we had to cancel while waiting on parts.

Mglii

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have been a master certified Diesel Mechanic for the last 17 years, this Urea system(DEF) is the reason why my new truck is a Hemi and not a Diesel.

How this this system is supposed to work is at at highway speeds Fuel is sprayed into the exhaust and super heats the DPF(catalyst) and burns off the soot that has loaded up the DPF, the DEF is sprayed after the DPF into a SCR (selective catalytic reduction)chamber to reduce the NoX that is produced. With heavy City or load use the system can call a parked Regeneration to burn off the Soot.

As mentioned in the above post any exhaust leak no mater how small will cause major issues with the DPF/SCR system. I have seen about a 65% failure rate of DEF Dosage valves in the last 18 months. The worse one I saw was an exhaust completely plugged with crystalized DEF. There is also a Filter in DEF system thats purpose is to stop contaminates from going to the Dosage valve.

Here are some DEF/DPF tips that will that will make the experience less painful:

-If Def is available on the Fuel Island always wipe the nozzle before you fill it
-if you fill from the 2 1/2 gallon jugs only use new jugs throw out any partials
-routinely inspect your exhaust for leaks,signs of soot or white power, get it to the dealer
- avoid prolong idling and loading up the engine when cold, this creates heavy soot build up
-at every 60,000 miles or 2 years have the DEF filter replaced
-every 150,000 miles have the DPF removed and machine cleaned.

Mglii

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It'd be pretty cool if you could rip all that epa junk off your truck, and be done with it.

I drive a 2010Mack tractor for UPS. It has the DEF emissions junk on it. We've had numerous little problems with that tractor over the last year, or so. All those problems were related to the emissions/DEF system. I will have to admit tho, that thing burns unbelievably clean. I go thru a lot of DEF when it's cold.

I am a Fleet Mechanic for a company that runs the Mack Tractors as well with the Volvo MP7 engines. Since 2010 we have had several issues with our tractors and all but 2 of the failures have been directly related to emission control systems.

OP
OP
C

controllerzhu

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
I have been a master certified Diesel Mechanic for the last 17 years, this Urea system(DEF) is the reason why my new truck is a Hemi and not a Diesel.

How this this system is supposed to work is at at highway speeds Fuel is sprayed into the exhaust and super heats the DPF(catalyst) and burns off the soot that has loaded up the DPF, the DEF is sprayed after the DPF into a SCR (selective catalytic reduction)chamber to reduce the NoX that is produced. With heavy City or load use the system can call a parked Regeneration to burn off the Soot.

As mentioned in the above post any exhaust leak no mater how small will cause major issues with the DPF/SCR system. I have seen about a 65% failure rate of DEF Dosage valves in the last 18 months. The worse one I saw was an exhaust completely plugged with crystalized DEF. There is also a Filter in DEF system thats purpose is to stop contaminates from going to the Dosage valve.

Here are some DEF/DPF tips that will that will make the experience less painful:

-If Def is available on the Fuel Island always wipe the nozzle before you fill it
-if you fill from the 2 1/2 gallon jugs only use new jugs throw out any partials
-routinely inspect your exhaust for leaks,signs of soot or white power, get it to the dealer
- avoid prolong idling and loading up the engine when cold, this creates heavy soot build up
-at every 60,000 miles or 2 years have the DEF filter replaced
-every 150,000 miles have the DPF removed and machine cleaned.

Great advice, thanks for all the responces

LovMyRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 QCSB Black Edition, 2014 RCSB.
Engine
Stop worrying so much. Things go wrong with new designs all the time. I tend to shy away from the first year model when its released. Gives them time to work the bugs out. It was replaced for free and I'm sure it's a very exspensive part, you'll be fine. Drive on...