2014 Keyless Entry?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dwfish

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My dealership told me the same thing. I bought the FOB and took to them and asked them to humor me. I now have keyless entry for < $100 using all factory components. My truck didn't even come with a FOB, I had a normal key.

If you have the power locks, everything is there but the FOB and the programming, unless they changed something between 2012 and 2014. For a $30 FOB, might be worth taking a risk, worked for me.

OP
OP
vpalace

vpalace

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Won't hurt to try I suppose. How much did the dealer charge you to program it? And will my other keys be useless after it's programmed?

dwfish

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The dealer charged me $40 to program it and took about 20 minutes. If you have a FOB style key, I would expect they would still work. If you have regular keys like I had, all they will do is unlock the door the old fashioned way.

OP
OP
vpalace

vpalace

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yeah, I have the normal keys with the chip in it. Them I would need to get 2 fobs. I have to give it back with 2.

NYCruiser

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Wouldn't the truck need to have the antenna and receiver installed for remote keyless entry?

dwfish

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm not an expert, just read that post from a DodgeTech on another forum when I was researching as my ST didn't come with keyless entry from the factory.

He said 4th gens come with the everything needed except the FOB and the programming. I bought mine used and didn't realize that it came from the factory without keyless entry, so I bought a FOB online. The first time they programmed it, the new FOB would start the truck, but wouldn't unlock it, they thought the FOB was defective as it was from eBay.

That's when I started researching and learned that it hadn't come from the factory with keyless entry, and found the post mentioned above. I was skeptical, but now I was carrying 2 keys ( 1 key to unlock the door and 1 FOB to start the truck ), so I took the instructions I found back to the dealer.

They doubted it would work, but said they'd try it if I paid for a programming again. 15minutes later they came out and it was working. Rolls down the windows and everything just like if it had come that way from factory.

OP
OP
vpalace

vpalace

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'll have to make a few calls I guess, first I'll need to bite the bullet and get a fob. I wonder if you can reprogram the keys now that you have it working. That procedure is pretty easy to do.

dwfish

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You need 2 FOBS to reprogram yourself and I only bought 1. I need to buy another, and then I can check and see if I can program the key.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Going rate here to program keys for 2013 is $225.00 per key. Some other poster told about the receiver and antenna.These thing operate off rf. Don,t give up.

dwfish

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'd call a dealer and ask them how to program a FOB. My dealer would have sold me the FOB and programmed for ~$200 (dealers charge alot for FOB's). That's insane just for programming one, it only takes about 10-15min.

OP
OP
vpalace

vpalace

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
3 different dealerships, wanted $175, $200, $205 to program the FOB. Even though I want the oem setup, an avital system installed for $150 is the route I'm going to take.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'd call a dealer and ask them how to program a FOB. My dealer would have sold me the FOB and programmed for ~$200 (dealers charge alot for FOB's). That's insane just for programming one, it only takes about 10-15min.

Dealer is the only one that can program it.They must be trying to pay for the programmer.

OP
OP
vpalace

vpalace

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
At the dealership getting my Bedliner put in, talked to the service manager about all the above, showed him the service directions. He said he's heard of it and done it before, but the truck does not have the necessary computer components to have it done. Checked by the VIN and he he also grabbed a brand new fob and tried it just to satisfy my curiosity. IT DID NOT WORK no matter what he did. Scanner kept posting an error to the fact that it was missing components.

I asked him about purchasing the components and he said honestly he would like to do it and even if I paid for everything, it's just not possible to add it if it wasn't done from the factory.

Case closed, I'm going aftermarket.

OP
OP
vpalace

vpalace

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
here is the unit and the t-harness

Remote Start Kit for 2013 Dodge RAM with DBALL2 THCHD3 T Harness XKLOADER2 | eBay

here is the remote kit

Directed 9656V (dei-9656v) 1-Way LED Remote System

there is only 2 wires to actually hook up. both of which are note 100% needed (parking lights and rap shut down)
rap wire i know in the trucks with the evic the delayed accessory can be turned off so this wire is not needed. park lights they ill not flash when you unlock/lock or remote start. otherwise its all plug and play

Finally got an answer to the ebay seller of this equipment.

"Sir, this kit does not work for your situation. This is answer to all 3 of your requests.
1. The DBALL2 firmware has not been released yet for the 2014 Dodge RAM by Expresskit.
2. This DBALL RSR 3x Lock Start system requires that your vehicle has the Factory Keyless Entry to activate the remote starting.
3. There is no kit that I know of that would enable you to install without doing wiring and splicing into the factory wires. You would have to install a remote starter with keyless entry (hard wired into your vehicle) plus the DBALL2, and possible the THCHD3 T-Harness.
Regards."

I have an apt this coming Saturday to get a viper keyless entry system installed.

OP
OP
vpalace

vpalace

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Wound up going with a Python remote start and keyless entry system. $225 installed. Working great so far.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Orca