2014 Ram 1500 Air Suspension Overview

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rday63

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My first time to any forum, very informative so far. I just purchased the same Ram 1500 truck with the air suspension a couple weeks ago. Interesting that the low battery with air suspension message came on a day after I purchased it. They put in a new battery when I took delivery, so assumed it wasn't up to full charge. It actually went away after a couple days of driving. Then after 11 days the front end dropped and a message popped up to "Service Air Suspension Immediately" The dealership told me the system was bulletproof, I was a little hesitant to purchase the system initially. Still waiting to get the verdict on what is wrong, 11 days with my new truck and 5 and counting without. I will advise what the actual problem is once they fix, hopefully the battery warning is not an indicator of future issues.
Well, my truck came out of the shop on Friday. The problem was the air suspension module went out, they told me a very isolated incident. According to the Service Manager it was a lengthy process for setting back up. Really glad to have my truck back.

UneasyJmitchell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Is that on a 4x4? How would it work getting 35 inch tires? You could level or lift with the touch of a button, but the truck could come down and it would scrape the tires? Im a noob.

dpinvidic

This guy gets shotgun
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 RAM 1500 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just got back from a trip to the Grand Canyon.It was weird to get out when parked on a slight incline and after a minute or so the truck would try to level itself by raising the back end. One time it even let off a big blast of air like a air brake on a semi. I thought man I have lost a air bag or seal. But it worked fine the rest of the day with no side effects.

I hate to sound an alarm, but hearing a big blast of air concerns me. The Air Suspension is a "Closed" system that uses nitrogen gas. That is why the pump runs for BOTH raising and lowering. The system is supposed to have around 220PSI of pressure. It does not make sense that a working system would make that sound unless that was some over-pressure condition and it released the pressure.

Dan

dpinvidic

This guy gets shotgun
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 RAM 1500 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well, my truck came out of the shop on Friday. The problem was the air suspension module went out, they told me a very isolated incident. According to the Service Manager it was a lengthy process for setting back up. Really glad to have my truck back.

I have read that a lot of dealers DO NOT have the equipment to recharge the nitrogen gas into the system after repair. Maybe that is why it took so long. Hope it holds steady for you now.
Have you seen the "Low Battery" msg. since then??

Dan

Rday63

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
They did mention specialized equipment to diagnose the problem, I assume they have to use the same to set back up all the ride heights. Actually I haven't seen a low battery message again. Hopefully this takes care of it, I will test out the towing next weekend with my boat. It is a pretty good load so I am anxious to see how the 8 speed transmission and air suspension work towing.

bigben5054

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Does the air suspension level the front end in normal ride height mode? In other words, if two trucks were side-by-side, identical except one has air suspension and the other does not, do they have the same stance when the air suspension truck is in NRH mode?

dpinvidic

This guy gets shotgun
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 RAM 1500 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Does the air suspension level the front end in normal ride height mode? In other words, if two trucks were side-by-side, identical except one has air suspension and the other does not, do they have the same stance when the air suspension truck is in NRH mode?

Yes it does. I think it does the adjustment all the time. I know it even does it with the ignition off. After parking the truck in my driveway, maybe 10 minutes later I hear the suspension pump come on for a few seconds.

There is a link arm between the Chassis and the swing arm that controls a sensor. So the computer knows how high/low the front and back are.
This must work in all modes because the front and rear are controlled separately. When you change ride height, it kinda see-saws with the front changing a little , then the back, etc. until the final height is reached.

Dan

endorphine44

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.4L
Is that on a 4x4? How would it work getting 35 inch tires? You could level or lift with the touch of a button, but the truck could come down and it would scrape the tires? Im a noob.

I'd like to know as well, stock tires are what? 34"? It looks like 35's would be ok. It would be a close fit in entry/exit mode, but the truck should be stationary at that point so no rubbing. Aero mode might get a little close too but at highway speeds I can't imagine turning the wheel sharp enough to rub anything under the truck.

dpinvidic

This guy gets shotgun
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 RAM 1500 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'd like to know as well, stock tires are what? 34"? It looks like 35's would be ok. It would be a close fit in entry/exit mode, but the truck should be stationary at that point so no rubbing. Aero mode might get a little close too but at highway speeds I can't imagine turning the wheel sharp enough to rub anything under the truck.

I should warn you that I have left my truck in Entry mode in the garage, and then the next morning I just got in a drove off. It does not switch out of Entry mode until you reach approx. 10mph (not exactly sure of the speed).
When I drove off, I heard it bottom out on the bump stops(I think) when I went over the bump between my driveway and the street.
My point is that if the clearance is too close, you will one day forget, and could crinkle your fender.

Dan

jc55

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
I should warn you that I have left my truck in Entry mode in the garage, and then the next morning I just got in a drove off. It does not switch out of Entry mode until you reach approx. 10mph (not exactly sure of the speed).
When I drove off, I heard it bottom out on the bump stops(I think) when I went over the bump between my driveway and the street.
My point is that if the clearance is too close, you will one day forget, and could crinkle your fender.

Dan

My truck is on order, should be here in a few weeks. I am worried about this too. Does entry/exit mode only occur when explicitly selected? As in, I can't set it to automatically lower when I stop the car and turn it off? I have to sit and wait for it to lower itself after initializing?

dpinvidic

This guy gets shotgun
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 RAM 1500 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My truck is on order, should be here in a few weeks. I am worried about this too. Does entry/exit mode only occur when explicitly selected? As in, I can't set it to automatically lower when I stop the car and turn it off? I have to sit and wait for it to lower itself after initializing?

Yes....When you are pulling to a curb, you can hit the "lowering" button and it will go to entry/exit height if you are 7mph or below (check manual on speed). You also have to raise it manually unless you reach a certain speed, then it goes up by itself.
In the "Control Settings" you can disable Aero mode if you like...so that won't be "automatic".

Dan

jc55

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
How long approx. does it take to get fully lowered after hitting the button when you're in normal ride height?

bigben5054

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yes it does. I think it does the adjustment all the time. I know it even does it with the ignition off. After parking the truck in my driveway, maybe 10 minutes later I hear the suspension pump come on for a few seconds.

There is a link arm between the Chassis and the swing arm that controls a sensor. So the computer knows how high/low the front and back are.
This must work in all modes because the front and rear are controlled separately. When you change ride height, it kinda see-saws with the front changing a little , then the back, etc. until the final height is reached.

Dan

Thanks Dan. I think I understand your answer, but maybe a better way to ask my question is does the air suspension get rid of the front end rake or nose down in normal ride height mode that you see on the non-air models? From the pics that were posted at the start of the thread, it looks like the truck sits fairly level in all modes, but the measurements from front to back suggest otherwise. I suppose I could just go measure a non-air model as it sits on a dealer lot and compare that to the measurements given in the pictures. Or perhaps someone else on here with a 4WD Laramie non-air suspension crew cab could measure their front ground to fender lip and post it on here before I make it to the dealer...Thanks!

Oilbelcher

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500 4x4 Laramie Limited Diesel
Engine
Diesel 3.0
What sensor tells the system the current speed and height? I'd like to trick the system to stay in Aero mode while driving.

Adept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L v8
Sounds like a huge pain in the butt if I want a lift kit or big tires put on

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk

Adept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L v8
But overall pretty cool system

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk

dpinvidic

This guy gets shotgun
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 RAM 1500 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7
How long approx. does it take to get fully lowered after hitting the button when you're in normal ride height?

It takes about 10 seconds. For any height change, it alternates between the back and front. It raises each end a little at a time until the correct height is reached.

Dan

PTCTreeGuy

Reaction score
Ram Year
none, why can't
Engine
these be blank
The two I've testdrove didn't alternate, they went up from park mode first at the rear and then the front to keep the headlights from shining too far forward and up. If you went through multiple heights it alternated but that was because it went, for example from park, to normal to off road 1, and would stop at each level. It was annoying though that it would cancel lowering if a door opened and would not lower with the key fob.

khav

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Limited 4x4 CC
Engine
hemi 5.7
I test drove a beautiful blue Ram 1500 Laramie Limited last Saturday. I was in love. But towards the end of the test-drive, the "Service Air Suspension Immediately" message came on. The agent indicated that it probably just needed a computer update and would be good to go.

Based on this information, I agreed to buy the truck. As I finished the paperwork, the agent indicated that the service department was unable to fix the problem that day, and that I'd have to come back on Tuesday to pick it up (closed Sunday, and holiday Monday for service dept).

I pick it up Tuesday night and they indicate again it was just a computer issue and is now fixed. As soon as I pull off the lot with it, the "Service Air Suspension Immediately" message comes on again and it drives like a bucking bronco! I turn around and take it right back to the dealership. Today they say it's a problem they've never had before and have a call into Chrysler to resolve it.

So the question is - should I RUN away from this truck? Anybody had similar experiences?

The truck is gorgeous and I'd love to keep it, but this seems serious and they don't seem to know what's going on. I'm leaning toward finding a non-air suspension truck.

rpr

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Tough call, if you really don't want/need the air suspension, I would run.

My air ride equipped truck is scheduled for delivery in about two weeks, and I'm hoping I don't regret it.