2014 Ram Leveling problems REAL???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tyler

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I have had my 2014 ram 1500 for 2 months now and I want to level it, but I have heard stories about the balljoints popping out. I want to know what you guys have used to level with pics and how long you have had it. If you have had any problems or not. So hopefully I can buy the right one or just go ahead and do a 6" lift :naughty:

Andrew09HEMI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I think the best thing to do, since there are so many people with different results is search the site and webs for info. There seems to be different results with different levels so best thing to do is search around til you find which one you're wanting

SuperTrooper

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I used an HBS 2.5" level with Zone upper control arms. I will have to get pics later as it is raining.

However, I am considering changing out my HBS spacer to bilsteins at max setting (2.8"), because for some reason, the Zone arms lowered my front about 1/2" from completely level compared to the HBS spacer and stock UCAS. I personally want my truck almost nose high.

Aside from that, no problems. The ride feels no different to me. I've been running it for about 4500 miles.

Last edited:

NYCruiser

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you want to level a 2014 I would just figure on changing the upper control arms. Someone on here changed them with an earlier year 4th gen oem and it worked fine. There are a couple aftermarket companies making some too if you want an upgrade.

tripower

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
This is pretty simple at this point:

Level it with a spring preload based system, and you'll be fine with everything else stock - Rancho QLL and Bilstein are great choices.

Level it with the common 2-3" spacers on top of the strut and you'll need new control arms as well, since this design - unlike the preload lifts - allows the control arms to move past the ball joint's limit.

Avoid advice from people that recommend new UCAs with a preload lift - they don't really understand the issue. Good luck :)

doz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
This is pretty simple at this point:

Level it with a spring preload based system, and you'll be fine with everything else stock - Rancho QLL and Bilstein are great choices.

Level it with the common 2-3" spacers on top of the strut and you'll need new control arms as well, since this design - unlike the preload lifts - allows the control arms to move past the ball joint's limit.

Avoid advice from people that recommend new UCAs with a preload lift - they don't really understand the issue. Good luck :)

Really? Because people w/ Bilsteins and Rancho QL were having the ball joint issues as well. I would hardly "avoid advice" from those people. Can you please explain how lifting either by an adjustable strut assembly or a spacer kit is any different for the angle on the UCA? Its not.... Both lift and apply a new angle and pressure to the ball joint.

The issue is scattered. I have the HBS 2.5" Level spacer and have not had an issue yet with the ball joints after nearly 2000 miles. I keep an eye on it and at first sight, I will replace the UCAs if needed (which I will also make the jump to Bilsteins as well, they were OOS though when I did mine). Not everyone is having the issue on '13-'14 Rams but the issue is real.

myoung84

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Power Wagon
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
For the low cost of the Movotech UCA's, I'd swap them out no matter what method of leveling you choose. JMO...

iam_canadian22

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Really? Because people w/ Bilsteins and Rancho QL were having the ball joint issues as well. I would hardly "avoid advice" from those people. Can you please explain how lifting either by an adjustable strut assembly or a spacer kit is any different for the angle on the UCA? Its not.... Both lift and apply a new angle and pressure to the ball joint.

The issue is scattered. I have the HBS 2.5" Level spacer and have not had an issue yet with the ball joints after nearly 2000 miles. I keep an eye on it and at first sight, I will replace the UCAs if needed (which I will also make the jump to Bilsteins as well, they were OOS though when I did mine). Not everyone is having the issue on '13-'14 Rams but the issue is real.

Ive heard of people having issues with bilsteins as they are over all longer then the stockers, havent seen one report of issues with ranchos yet, they are the same length as the stockers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

iam_canadian22

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi

Correct, if the issue occured with a stock length preload setup then completely stock rams would be popping under full shock extension situations as they are both limited to the same max extension

tripower

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Can you please explain how lifting either by an adjustable strut assembly or a spacer kit is any different for the angle on the UCA? Its not.... Both lift and apply a new angle and pressure to the ball joint.

It is...

Both lifts are not the same, not by a long shot. Your making the same incorrect assumption that so many on this forum make. Preload lifts change the static height that the truck sits at via preload adjustment - basically, they add compression to the bottom of the spring and that raises the truck. The upper and lower limits that effect ball joint angle are not changed significantly (the Bilstein is slightly longer than the stock strut, so it does change a little, but not enough to be an issue). The strut still stops the suspension in the same places, only the static position is modified.

A spacer lift allows the control arm (and the whole front suspension) to drop much lower than stock, so it significantly changes both the upper and lower limits, and that pinches the ball joint when the suspension droops to full extension.

Sorry, but the way you're envisioning these lifts working is incorrect. :favorites13:

doz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
It is...

Both lifts are not the same, not by a long shot. Your making the same incorrect assumption that so many on this forum make. Preload lifts change the static height that the truck sits at via preload adjustment - basically, they add compression to the bottom of the spring and that raises the truck. The upper and lower limits that effect ball joint angle are not changed significantly (the Bilstein is slightly longer than the stock strut, so it does change a little, but not enough to be an issue). The strut still stops the suspension in the same places, only the static position is modified.

A spacer lift allows the control arm (and the whole front suspension) to drop much lower than stock, so it significantly changes both the upper and lower limits, and that pinches the ball joint when the suspension droops to full extension.

Sorry, but the way you're envisioning these lifts working is incorrect. :favorites13:

Then why do people still have the issue with Bilsteins?

iam_canadian22

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi

Because they are longer then stock and making that max extension farther down, not by much but enough to be border line of issue or no issue

tripower

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi

That's just it, they don't. Please point me to the threads if they're out there. This forum is PACKED with problem threads, but none about Bilsteins or Ranchos popping joints.

I've checked the Bilstein's myself and they are fine, plenty of room at the ball joint when the strut is at it's min/max.

It's possible to blow the ball joints out during installation if the installer doesn't know how to do it correctly. But that can happen with any lift.

Honestly, this whole UCA problem was caused by 2"+ spacers being added to the top of the strut by manufacturers and users that weren't checking the new 13/14 design. So everyone assumes it happens with any lift, but it doesn't for very good reasons.

arod412

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My 2 cents on this from what I have read. I'm also learning here so don't bash me too much.

The 2009-2012 uca are much thicker than the 2013+. I'm thinking it's due to the air suspension but I don't know.

So those that have problems, triple check the year of the truck. From what I have read the newer trucks 2013+ are the ones that are having more issues with the spacers because of the thinner UCA. Also if you set the bilstein to max in the newer trucks 2013+, you have problems so I see people setting them to 2.1 instead.

Personally, on my 2012, I'm having no problems with my bilstein set to max 2.8.

"Worrying about MPG on a truck is like worrying about the tow rating on a prius"

Setup
*Bilstein shocks in front set to max 2.8"
*Bilstein shocks in the rear and 1" spacer
*Aftermarket pioneer head unit (AVH - P3400BH)
*4 - kicker 6-1/2 component speakers (4 doors)
*2 - Kicker 3.5" speakers (dash)
*1 foxbox vented sub box for 2-12 inch speakers
*2 - 12" alpine Type R SWR 1243 speakers
*1- Alpine MRP -M500 amp

danmp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I have a 2014 , I wanted to install the procomp 2.5" front / 1.5" rear at my local shop. This shop have a huge reputation here and they are the shop where the ram dealers go when a Customer want a brand new truck lifted before the delivery of their truck.

This shop said they installed many of the pro comp kit on 2013 + without any issues.

But on pro comp web site they said that kit doesn't fit on 2013-2014 ram 1500.

I don't know what to do honestly.

there is a way to install the kit without any problems, or they are wrong, and the ball join will pop sonner or later ?

Last edited:

myoung84

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Power Wagon
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I have a 2014 , I wanted to install the procomp 2.5" front / 1.5" rear at my local shop. This shop have a huge reputation here and they are the shop where the ram dealers go when a Customer want a brand new truck lifted before the delivery of their truck.

This shop said they installed many of the pro comp kit on 2013 + without any issues.

But on pro comp web site they said that kit doesn't fit on 2013-2014 ram 1500.

I don't know what to do honestly.

there is a way to install the kit without any problems, or they are wrong, and the ball join will pop sonner or later ?

Movotech UCAs and be done with it...

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 3.

2014StormTrooper

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Longhorn 4x4 2003 LY Evo VIII ER Built 2.2L
Engine
6.7 CTD / 4G63
so far the only problem i have read is people having issues leveling the 2wd rams.....

which leaves me SOL lol

keith2323

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Hi everyone ,my name is keith and new to the forum. i just got the rancho quick lift and rs9000xl shocks in the rear installed today with 275/65R20 nitto trail grapplers on my 2014 ram 1500 Laramie 4X4 CC ... the rancho kit is amazing !!! lifts the front properly, and rides however you want it to ride,just set the knobs to your liking and go .... You wana change the way it rides? ok.. go firmer or softer with the turn of the knob( 9 settings )...easy money