2015 Ram Battery Dies if I leave for a week

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

moohampshire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I just left my 2015 Dodge Ram 1500 4WD from Tuesday till Saturday. Dead again. Tried to jump with a jump starter to no avail. Only works when I charge with normal charger. Battery is new. Less that 8 months. What the hell is killing the battery. Any help is greatly appreciated. I guess going forward will need to trickle charge the battery.

4xdad

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 powerwagon
Engine
There’s some sort of parasitic drain with mine it was the trailer light plug was shorting out due to corrosion and moisture

csuder99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
First guess is always aftermarket stuff. Do you have anything electrical added ? The other possibility is something keeping one of the communication buses awake. That could be some gizmo plugged into the OBD2 port or a malfunctioning module. I had once a broken key fob that would randomly send the unlock signal and wake up the truck.

The way to troubleshoot this is to measure the current from the battery to the vehicle and monitor over time. It should go down to 10s of milliamps when the vehicle is fully asleep. If it doesn't, start pulling fuses to figure out where the current draw is.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Get the battery load tested, preferably an old skool toaster type load tester. Having a new battery go bad isn't an uncommon as it used to be.