2015 Sport C/C Audio Build Log

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
B

BCMark

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
After looking more closely at it I think you're right. The vents on the back of the center floor console aim up so you would have upper and lower climate control for the back.

OP
OP
B

BCMark

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well not a lot of pics today from yesterday, will have more later today. Did take a pic of the routing of my wiring out of the center console from the Bit Ten to the Amps. Drilled a hole inside the front and back of the Center Floor console so that I can place the DSP in the bottom of the massive storage container. Will build a cover plate to sit over it and still be able to use the top half for storage. Also I grabbed my power/ground for the Bit Ten from the rear cigarette lighter. Don't think I'll ever need that plug anyways but if I find I do its easy to pop the back panel off and split off the connection.

JRmPeK.jpg
CxpJpw.jpg

Got my carpets and front seats all back in, the amp rack mounted, and one section of the rear seat back in. Getting a little slower moving around from being a bit stiff after 3 days of spending all day climbing around inside my truck.

Should have everything finished up today and can start tuning. Going to install the exhaust today too. My 42" light bar for the front bumper just showed up yesterday so may or may not find time for that as well lol :)

John94z

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
To have personal time is a dream I often have lol. Good work man keep the updates rolling in

WingingIt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L
When are we gonna see that amp rack mounted? [emoji16]

OP
OP
B

BCMark

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Definitely ran into a few issues with the amp rack but have it mounted now. When I get home I'll get a few more pics. Biggest problem I ran into was not building it to sit higher off the floor. There's quite a bit of depth clearance on the back wall from about a third of the way up and higher. Not at the very bottom though.

I built a couple of 1.5" spacer blocks and then cemented them to the floor. Then used metal angle brackets into those and the amp rack so that to remove it would be easy just unscrew from the blocks and pull out. Saved me from drilling any new holes in the floor or back wall as well. It's still pretty tight back there in terms of depth but it fits and all wires are in place.

Also found I was a little off in measuring how much power wire I would need and while I had just enough 0 gauge to go from the fuse holder under the hood to the amp at the back, I need another 2ft piece to go from the fuse to the battery. Called around and only 0 gauge I could find from a local car audio place is $8/ft!!

Just need to connect power to the battery (already run and fused), put my tweeters in (paint was drying overnight on the pods), and connect all the wires to the Bit Ten D. Fingers crossed I'll be onto the tuning stage tonight.

Oh and I did get my new exhaust installed yesterday and it sounds awesome!!

WingingIt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L
Almost there! I'll keep that in mind if I build an amp rack. They look so good. Good work, man.

OP
OP
B

BCMark

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ok big update of progress over last 2.5 days. I am finally onto the tuning stage as of this morning. Sounds amazing even with hardly touching it, had to adjust the tweeter output a bit as they were definitely overpowering everything with only being a few degrees off-axis and very close to the listening position. I will say though I don't find the Morel tweeters harsh at all, they are a bit bright but very musical. This is already the best sounding system I have ever done and can't wait to see what I can get out of it with enough time spent tuning :)

Here are some pics....

Tweeter install isn't anything too fancy, painted sails to match and used the supplied pods that came with them. Adjusted positioning to where I think they sounded best.

BWSGJy.jpg
VyOeBd.jpg
8KocKN.jpg
ihr3vz.jpg

Definitely a PIA running the wiring through the doors for both door speakers and tweeters.

j5bJGf.jpg

Not the best pic of the amp rack and it's a little bit of a challenge getting to the adjustments on it. I might actually redo that at a later date and move it higher. Just a tip for anyone planning an amp rack behind the rear seats, try to mount it from at least 1/3 of the way up the wall if you want good clearance and to make it easier to get to the wiring/settings!
jf4tsE.jpg

Bit Ten is "sitting" in the center console storage bin right now, but will have the wiring routed a little cleaner and the unit screwed down. Also building a cover plate with spacer legs on it to sit overtop of it so that I can still use the top half of the bin for storage. I decided not to even install the Remote for it right now as I am quite happy with everything the way it is and hate the idea of needing to use a different volume knob than the one on my head unit. I set the gains on everything so that I have full use of my Head Unit volume from 1-20 without distortion and a plenty loud enough output (unbelievably loud at 20 but still crystal clear!).
phHd5V.jpg

Fox Box assembled quite easily with the provided instructions and fits like a glove. I did have to make some adjustments for the subs I chose as the cut-out in the Fox Box is 9" wide and I needed 9.6". No problem with depth though and once I cut the hole a little wider it fit great. Overall pretty impressed with the design and output of the Fox Box, for the price I don't think you could find a better box for our trucks. Also handy that it comes with the 5/8" seat spacers, which when installed allow you to fold forward the rear seats but still lock them in place when lifted back up.
mtVWGp.jpg
E5lRsr.jpg

WingingIt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L
Looks great! I might have to put my amps on the back wall. I was thinking of cutting a wood panel and mounting them under the center of the seat, but it looks much better and will be harder to steal if I get broken into. (I live in a rough area) Love the updates.

QwikKota

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
You are brave doing all of this with an apartment, that's how I used to do it, 3rd floor too! Now I have a nice garage and no time to use it, go figure.

OP
OP
B

BCMark

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Was in an apartment when I bought the truck but this install was done in my garage at my new house I just moved into. Wouldn't attempt anything like this in an apartment lol.

WingingIt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L
Any chance to work on the cover plate for the bit ten?

OP
OP
B

BCMark

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Unfortunately no had to fly back out for work so it'll be another week before I get home to do anymore with it.

OP
OP
B

BCMark

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Finally got home and had some time yesterday to do a bit of tuning. Spent 4 hours tuning and while I am still learning a lot in this regard the sound improvement is amazing.

Had my laptop running both the Bit Ten control software and a Dayton Audio OmniMic. I am very impressed with the OmniMic, it's a condenser microphone that is USB powered. Comes with a calibration number and is pretty easy to set up with the provided software. Software includes it's own RTA as well.

Once I got everything set up and running, placed the mic at the driver side listening position, and ran a Pink Noise track on repeat, I sat in the back seats with the laptop and started making EQ and crossover adjustments. I was actually a little surprised at how much I had to cut a few of the frequencies and had some hesitations about how it was going to sound with real music making that big of a change. The biggest cut I think was to the 200hz range, took a lot to get that hump out of my nice clean line lol. The Morel tweeters only being 10-15degrees off-axis are very "in your face" and also needed about an 8db cut to them to balance everything out (even after setting the amp gains to the tweeters lower than the woofers).

After a couple hours of adjustments trying to get a perfectly flat reading (got damn close to that too) I switched over to a few SQ tracks and had a nice hour long listening session. Other than a little more or less bass for personal taste there isn't anything I would change in the EQ now, it sounds amazing and I am more than happy with the outcome! I'm hearing things in songs I've never heard before.

On a side note, I've changed my mind about using the DRC and have decided to hook it up for the convenience of bass volume control. I'm in the process of running the wire for it and putting it in position today.

WingingIt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L
Awesome update! Glad you're wrapping up. I might be restarting my project. Lol

How about a video of the sq? :D

OP
OP
B

BCMark

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'll see what I can do for a video this week. Never actually tried to post a video of anything before. Also don't think the SQ will translate well to a phone recording but I'll see what I can do.

Have had a few people listen to it now and no one can believe I'm not running dash and center channel speakers. Nice wide sound stage and you really can't pick out where the speakers are in the system.