2016 6.4 hemi mds vibration clunking

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hoc84key

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
Hello all, I know this has been discussed but figured I'd give it another go. 2016 2500 cc 6.4 hemi This mds/eco mode is driving me insane. At highway speeds I can live it with bc for most part I don't feel much vibration but sometimes it does vibrate when I give it gas again and as soon as eco light shuts off truck Is normal again. But I cant stand it when the eco light/mds comes on when going 20-25mph on a side street. The whole truck vibrates like crazy and the most noticeable thing is right as eco light goes off I hear a "clunk" as it's going back to 8 cyl I've brought to dealer and all they did was computer updates. Other then that they said seems fine to them. They refused to let me go with them for test drive. I'm going to try another dealer. But anyone have any info. Anyone else have this problem.

Iron Outlaw

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Mine doesn't clunk but you can definitely tell it's there. Pretty good vibration.

OP
OP
H

Hoc84key

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
Yea that's what I've heard. Does your mds come on at low speeds? This clunk is so noticeable when it comes on at low speeds then I take foot off gas completely. Like going to stop sign etc

HvyDuty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I notice the MDS engage sometimes, but its mostly an audible change (I gutted my stock muffler flapper) and a very slight "tug?" when coming off throttle/light throttle. Doesn't bother me too much, its the nature of the beast. When it happens I know I just saved 1/2 oz of fuel lol.

I also noticed today that it engages even in 4x4 HI at 65-70 on the highway.:roflsquared:

Buckfat

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016-2500
Engine
6.4 Hemi
An expensive options is to get a tuner and shut it off. I did and I absolutely love my truck now. Did not do any exact math but my fuel mileage did not change for better or worse.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
At low speed turn on the ERS, I assume hd trucks have this, it will disable the MDS.

Last edited:

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Same thing was going on for me. I initially started driving the truck in manual mode all the time, then just shut MDS off with a tuner. Hated how it came on at low speed around town in full auto. Truck felt like a slug.

WaterBoy1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Laramie CC2500 Black Edition
Engine
The feeling of the MDS kicking on/off in these is nothing compared to the GM trucks. Talk about lag/clunking etc.

After going from my Silverado to this truck, I wasn't even sure it had the MDS as I couldn't feel it (comparatively speaking).

soper72

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4 Outdoorsman CC
I'm sure whatever you're feeling is normal, you get used to it. If you want to feel like you're in the high powered truck that you're in then turn off traction control and put it in tow/haul mode

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

soper72

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4 Outdoorsman CC
I'm sure whatever you're feeling is normal, you get used to it. If you want to feel like you're in the high powered truck that you're in then turn off traction control and put it in tow/haul mode

It can be a snotty ***** or a ***** footer. Depending on what you want or how you drive it! Sometimes you gotta push the gas pedal a little harder than you're used to. It's not bad thing. I've floored mine twice, both times brought a smile to my face.

Last edited:

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
When traveling under 55 I activate tow haul- I've had mds activate in 4th gear while doing 30-40mph - drove me nuts- now I just trigger tow haul

JLEONARD

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I don't really mind the MDS but I hear what seems to be a clunk like there is play in the drive shaft u-joints. Anybody hearing that?

OP
OP
H

Hoc84key

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
Yes. That clunk is what I hear as well. Just had mine at dealer for the vibration during mds and the clunking like you described. They are changing out the motor mounts. Hopefully this fixes something. The tech says some play is normal but I can't stand hearing the truck clunking all the time.

OP
OP
H

Hoc84key

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
There's a service bulletin for the motor mounts. Idk I can't attach it.

Attachments

• IMG_1445.jpg
    IMG_1445.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 109
OP
OP
H

Hoc84key

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
Np. Dealer is waiting on parts for the motor mounts I'll update here after it's done. Just hoping it helps. 1st dealer I had it at refused to do anything

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Did you try driving in tow haul?

OP
OP
H

Hoc84key

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
I use the manual +/- sometimes and it keeps mds off but it doesn't help the clunking. Originally thought it was all mds related. I just want the truck to be fixed or someone tell me this is how they all are, but hard to believe that everyone deals with these issues. I've seen few problems here and there. Just glad I found a dealer that actually is helping. It's so funny how dumb dealers are. Talked to someone in service dept and sales dept when I drove identical truck. Both had no idea what mds was.