2016 front diff/gears

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jmck16ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
2016 Express 1500 4x4, 5.7, 3.21 rear gear ratio. So I'm looking into diff gears for when I level or possibly lift my truck and put bigger tires on. Not going huge whatever I do, no bigger than 37s. Figuring on 3.92s but I'm finding some weird info on the front differential having the ring gear welded to the carrier. Can anyone give me some more info on this and what I will need to do to change the gear ratio for the front diff? Or if I even need to mess with the front diff. Venturing into a world I'm pretty unfamiliar with. Thanks

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
By far the easiest way, find used OEM parts and swap the entire assemblies. Local wrecker or car-part.com.

I am not positive, but I do remember something with the front diff.

YES, you need to do both - front and rear, unless you disable the 4WD system. They need to match.

DILLIGAF

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Gen 3 Front diff swap. The Gen 4 front diff are the worlds biggest piece of **** !

And with 37s you need 4.56

RedSRT4Me

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 CC Sport
Engine
2016 Express 1500 4x4, 5.7, 3.21 rear gear ratio. So I'm looking into diff gears for when I level or possibly lift my truck and put bigger tires on. Not going huge whatever I do, no bigger than 37s. Figuring on 3.92s but I'm finding some weird info on the front differential having the ring gear welded to the carrier. Can anyone give me some more info on this and what I will need to do to change the gear ratio for the front diff? Or if I even need to mess with the front diff. Venturing into a world I'm pretty unfamiliar with. Thanks

You can get a 3.92 front pumpkin from a 2016 with the gears already installed and it's plug and play all day.

I would recommend having some sort of tuner both for PCM "engine" and BCM "cabin" to adjust for the gear ratio change regardless of your selection.

Now, if you decide 4.56 gears which I personally use and recommend along with the rest of the forum members who agree you will need the following:

2011 or older front diff (gear ratio won't matter at this time) 4.56 gears "front and rear" I use Yukon but others may recommend something else.

Front and rear master install kit. This will make everything as close to plug and play as possible.

Fluid 75-90w front 75-140w rear but you have options there. Some guys like different weights based on their use. The one's listed are pretty standard.

Optional are Diff covers (makes fluid change much easier and they look cool!)

I believe everything else will line up no issue. Brackets and stuff like that.

On my own installs, I like using new bolts for everything. Sometimes I'll have them painted to match the truck's theme.

Good luck

Either way for everyday purpose 3.92 and 4.56 hears are a lot more fun than the 3.21's

20210322_135300~2.jpg

atreides

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I've got an 8 speed 5.7 on 37x12.5 with 3.21 gears and it's not bad at all. I set the correct tire size using AlphaOBD and tossed in a Pulsar piggy back "tuner" (tuner in the loosest sense since it's just a few base maps). The truck definitely feels slower but I was still able to trailer a heavy ass Mercedes through the Sierras without any issues.

This thread is making a 4.56 swap sound a lot easier than I expected though. I had originally given up on gears once I realized the ring gear is riveted and welded LOL.

@RedSRT4Me can you elaborate a little on the master install kit, or post a link? Are you referring to something like the gear kits Yukon offers that include the front and rear ring/pinion along with the remaining hardware and bearings and what not?

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
HEMI 5.7 Revolution 4.88s
Gen 3 Front diff swap. The Gen 4 front diff are the worlds biggest piece of **** !

And with 37s you need 4.56

The minimum with 37s is 4.56 but I decided to go with the 4.88s and love it that way ... I was initially going to go with the 4.56s since a lot of members here on the forums said 4.56s but the shop I got it done at recommended the 4.88s and honestly I couldn't be happier ...

To @jmck16ram but yes, you will need to regear both front and back and the front are welded in place, some will tell you that you can't go to 4.88s on the 4wds but you can, you just have to find the shop that is willing to do the work because it is not easy and it's also not cheap, you will be spending around $3k-4k minimum on this

RedSRT4Me

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 CC Sport
Engine
Something like this should work on the front

Screenshot_20220330-080313_Chrome.jpg

dc435911

Reaction score
I'm running 37's with the stock 3.21 gears. I go wheeling and never had any issue with this arrangement, my truck is a 2016 with the 8 speed which has a lower 1st gear with 3.21's than the previous 6 speed with 4.56's. The 3.92 would be the biggest ratio you'd need to go to if you have an 8 speed and want to re-gear.

RedSRT4Me

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 CC Sport
Engine
Regearing is like pandoras box. Once you done it there is no going back.

8-speed 37's and 4.56 all day speaking from experience. :cool:.

You won't have problems with 3.21's but with my driving style I'd sell the 3.21 geared truck if I couldn't regear. I would honestly hate every second of it.

I did own a 2005 reg cab 4.7 stock wheels 5 speed with 3.55's. It was a slug.

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
No you cant, They dont make 4.88 for the Gen 3 diff. Stop posting this crap.
Yes I know you don't like it being posted , we went through this a while back I remember, but like i said, find the a shop that will do 4.88s and they will do it, I told you I have seen it done, just because you haven't found someone who does it up where you are at doesn't mean they don't do it around here .... how exactly are they doing it I have no clue, but it's being done ...

Sorry @DILLIGAF that this pissed you off it's not my intention, but I am only posting what I have seen done personally ...

dc435911

Reaction score
Regearing is like pandoras box. Once you done it there is no going back.

8-speed 37's and 4.56 all day speaking from experience. :cool:.

You won't have problems with 3.21's but with my driving style I'd sell the 3.21 geared truck if I couldn't regear. I would honestly hate every second of it.

I did own a 2005 reg cab 4.7 stock wheels 5 speed with 3.55's. It was a slug.
The old 5 speeds definitely needed re-geared. The the new 8 speed transmission and transfer case eliminate the need to re gear for everything but rock crawling which very few do with a full size truck with ifs. Kudos to you on having a setup you enjoy!

Mine doesn't feel more sluggish with 37s versus the stock wheels and a/t 33s. Works great on and off road.

DILLIGAF

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I told you I have seen it done

Yup with zero proof... just like when you posted this B******* in my gen 3 swap thread.

Im Still patiently waiting for a link on where to buy 4.88 for a Gen 3 front diff. But You'll never have one because they dont make it.

Last edited:

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I understand DOESITLOOKLIKEIGIVEAFUCK’s point of view. He has been down that road with his own truck and clearly has some knowledge in that department.

Just post up some links or info of it being done.

RedSRT4Me

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 CC Sport
Engine
There is a reason they state it only fits up to 2011.

Yes but search this topic.

Oh yeah last poke at the 3.21 guys who "don't" want a regear on 37's.

Everyone of you always points out my 1st gear 4.71 blah blah blah, but in reality it's the other 7 gears that benefit.

Here is your question. Can your lifted 1500 on 37's accelerate in 8th gear without down shifting at freeway speeds????:p 65+ mph.

No?? 4.56 FTW :D

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
Yup with zero proof... just like when you posted this B******* in my gen 3 swap thread.

Im Still patiently waiting for a link on where to buy 4.88 for a Gen 3 front diff. But You'll never have one because they dont make it.
Holy fawk dude are you still stuck on this? I already said I have no clue how they are adding the 4.88s on 4wd 1500s but it is being done, whether it's with a 3rd gen diff , 4th gen what ever generation diff I have no clue ... I will tell you this though again, if you have the money and the shops are willing to do the custom work they will do it right? ...

Now I am going to ask you a serious question so please act mature about it, is it possible that they are using dana diffs? One of my old co workers said they machined a dana diff to regear his ram with 4.88s, is that right?

This has nothing to do with me being right or you being right, just trying to figure out how they are adding 4.88s to 4th gen rams Dilligaf, that is all ....

This is one of the reasons I decided to go with a 2wd Ram because I *** told you can't go with 4.88s for 37s ...

acoffeefiend

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi