2016 Power Wagon Performance upgrades

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Army Mike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 stroker
I have a 2011 Ram powerwagon. I currently have the motor at Basko racing. We are doing a scat pack stroker kit with a 270 cam , bigger injectors, 90mm BBK throttle body, s&b air intake 4 inch exhaust out the side of the bed before the rear tire. And I’m currently on the fence about doing a Edelbrock intake manifold. I have a tune appointment mid month. Looking forward to seeing the numbers

Army Mike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 stroker
Spoke to summit today. They said the Edelbrock intake manifold is not for trucks. Does anyone know why. Or what a good alternative is.

Michael Shelswell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Spoke to summit today. They said the Edelbrock intake manifold is not for trucks. Does anyone know why. Or what a good alternative is.

Likely because the way accessories and where the throttle body is placed. It will fit the heads but you may need to relocate things.

theviking

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
A little late to the party but here's what I've learned over the years regarding the 6.4 BGE trucks.

Torque converter is terrible in these trucks. Fortunately you can use any 545/65 converter on the market. I'm using an Edge now which was a huge improvement over stock. You can also use a MagHytec oil pan for additional capacity and cooling. As mentioned, many of the internals are straight out of the 68RFE so likely you won't blow up easily with an NA build.

Headers were a huge improvement on my truck, dropping a second 0-60 even before I tuned it. Hemifever has good tunes if you go the Diablosport route, especially with the trans tuning. Along with the Magnaflow catback it gives the truck a very aggressive sound with minimal drone. I also added a ported TB and modified air intake, but those were very minor improvements.

There is really no reason to start with the block or heads since as mentioned it's actually an upgrade over the SRT stuff. Compression is a point lower, so that hurts, but the bigger issue (according to Modern Muscle anyway) is the camshaft. I've been debating an upgrading, but was also considering a blower instead.

Speaking of, Whipple is supposed to have a 6.4 truck kit available any time now, or you can go with a Procharger kit which is available today. Issue here is whether or not the tranny will live. From what I've read at much over 500hp even the 68RFE (stock) is on borrowed time. With a good tune (and maybe exhaust) any 6.4 blower kit should easily exceed that. The build Arrington did with a Magnacharger was a one-off and they wouldn't even provide details on that build. Biggest issue with adapting a car kit is position of the TB as mentioned, and the elaborate EGR setup which is tucked in the valley under the stock intake.

Army Mike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 stroker
Got the truck back, i run 37 inch tall tires, 1 ton rear end and it’s 4wd. 370hp at the rear wheels with 420 torque at the rear wheels. The tune is a little ******, getting it re tuned soon . I will let you k ow what happens.

theviking

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Pretty good hp/torque numbers, especially with 37's and a base/bad tune. What compression pistons did you go with? Headers?