2016 Ram 1500 ABS Module replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Helping my daughter with the ongoing ABS nightmare and not ready to feel defeated yet. That part is still in engineering review for the foreseeable future and may not be available until late next year. I've called every Dodge/Chrysler/Ram customer service line I can to see what Dodge is going to do to take care of the customers with this problem. All have told me that there's nothing they can do to help with rental car coverage. The dealer doesn't have any loaner cars available, and even if they did, they wouldn't loan one out for months. She's already had the ABS module replaced two years ago after the lights came on and the brakes locked up. It was a rebuilt part, but seemed to function okay - until last week. The lights came on again and she took it to an independent auto shop, the same one that replaced it two years ago for $1300. This time they said they can't find a rebuild and wouldn't recommend it at this point for that price point. They advised she not drive the truck due to safety concerns. I was helping her call around to find more information on this and all the dealers said hundreds of owners are facing the same issue due to the national backorder on this part and no ETA on when a newly designed one will be available. Bottom line is that Chrysler is not doing anything to make it right by the customer. Hundreds of owners cannot get a rental without paying for it and who can possibly afford months of rental costs? There are currently a couple of class action lawsuits on this, but it appears it is for the 2017-1018 2500/3500 models. The NHTSA has not issued a recall, but I did file a complaint. The dealership said it has more weight if the customer will complain, but I question that. The dealers are the ones selling the brand and if they complain enough to the headquarters it just might get some action. The dealers are the bread and butter of the manufacturer and every single one of them should file a complaint with the NHTSA because it's the volume of complaints that gets the attention. Owners should file a complaint. But at this point, Chrysler could care less. They are leaving owners stranded with no support whatsoever. And this problem is due to no fault of the driver. It is a design defect and they should make it right. They should provide rental car coverage until the new ABS module is manufactured - IF it ever is. I'm livid that people who have spent their hard earned money are being treated this way. One dealership said they are telling their customers that they can drive their vehicle after the diagnostic work has been done to confirm the failure of the ABS module. I questioned their decision to tell customers that and they said, "Well, I don't want them to not have a car to drive." ???? I told the service advisor that it is a liability issue on his part to tell the public it's safe to drive when the reality is that when the module fails, it can (and has) result in either the brakes locking during braking or causing extremely hard braking. These actions can result in the worse case scenario of an accident and I told the service advisor that he needed to think about what he would say if he was told by a driver that they had an accident due to brake failure and why were they told it was safe to drive? That's a huge liability and risk to take. Two other dealerships and an independent auto shop advised not driving it with the ABS light on. One dealership even told me that some people have reported this to their insurance company and it is being totaled because the vehicle is not driveable according to the insurance company. I am at my wits end with trying to get some kind of satisfactory resolve in this matter.

Well, I got a quote request form from Circuit Board Medics - I have to send the module for evaluation and quote. I had contacted the repair shop to ask if the vehicle could be driven with the module off, and the mechanic opined that it could, although I would need to cover the connectors on the HCU to keep dirt out. So I pulled the module... and the truck will not allow me to shift out of park with the module off. I decided to put the module back on for the time being, and after Thanksgiving I will send it to CBM. I'll just spring for a rental until I get it back.
Upfix.com will quote you over the phone. It's an option.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
@DaSOB

From UPFIX.com off web site: Not sure if that is the part you need or not. have not seen one, so no idea what they look like. Posting for FYI.

upfix.JPG

DaSOB

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn
Engine
5.7L Hemi
@DaSOB

From UPFIX.com off web site: Not sure if that is the part you need or not. have not seen one, so no idea what they look like. Posting for FYI.

View attachment 531611
Yep, that's it. A lot of different years' and makes' modules have this same configuration, but I expect there are differences in the circuitry, the pin-out, etc. But yep, this one is mine.

And thank you for your service. I'm a USAF vet (1973-77) myself.

Last edited:

DaSOB

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I'm shipping my ABS module to XeMODeX today. $278 including express shipping, which will mean one day in transit, a stated one-day turnaround, and a return he next day. I could have the module back by the weekend if all goes well.

Module removal on my 2015 Ram is easy - use a T20 to take out the top two screws, then get under the vehicle to remove the lower two. After that, you lift a latch on he connector (it hinges on one end) and then unplug the connector. The module will slip off with bit of wiggling and then you're home free.

When you purchase the repair service, you may select standard ($39) or express ($79). Standard is 3-5 days each way plus the time it takes them to repair the module (they say one day), express is 1 day up there, one day for repair, and one day back. It's worth it to me.

I sent my module off today. I'll post a report when I get it back.

DaSOB

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I had written a letter to Mopar Customer Care back on November 8, 2023 regarding the lack of availability of the ABS module #68228991AD. I got a call from them today and I was told that the module was pulled from the market due to the plethora of problems that Ram owners were having with it, and that a re-design to address those problems is underway. The expected availability date for the redesigned module is tentatively January or February, 2024.

DaSOB

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Got my original module back from United Parcel Smashers today, slightly the worse for wear. I had wrapped it in several layers of bubble wrap, then padded it with foam rubber, but the baboons who were handling parcels STILL managed to damage it. The center post was cracked and bent slightly to one side, and the two metal prongs were bent over nearly horizontally. There was a hole in the bottom of the cardboard box where the post and prongs had punched through. Fortunately, I was able to do some careful repair work and straighten out the post and prongs, and re-install the module. Truck runs fine again, but of course I still have the ABS codes. I'll get that taken care of later.

I have no idea how in blazes the parcel goons managed to damage the module even with all the packing and padding. I'm just glad I was able to straighten everything out.

turkeybird56

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Glad you were able to un-cannabalize yer part and get it to work. If it was me, I would push for Brand New re--designed module put in by Dealer when they come out on FCA's dime and try for re-imbursement you paid to get part rebuilt and truck operable. But that is just me, and I's a BOIRD.

army turk1.JPG

DaSOB

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I'd probably have to get in line to raise hell with FCA. I know you're aware of the lawsuit involving the 2017-18 modules - there needs to be one massive class action involving everyone who had an ABS module take a dump on them.

When and if a New and Improved module may come out (Gawd only knows when that might happen), I'm gonna send FCA another nasty-gram demanding a free replacement. Yeah, I'd just be pi**ing in the wind, but at least I'll be a little bit of a PITA for them.

turkeybird56

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'd probably have to get in line to raise hell with FCA. I know you're aware of the lawsuit involving the 2017-18 modules - there needs to be one massive class action involving everyone who had an ABS module take a dump on them.

When and if a New and Improved module may come out (Gawd only knows when that might happen), I'm gonna send FCA another nasty-gram demanding a free replacement. Yeah, I'd just be pi**ing in the wind, but at least I'll be a little bit of a PITA for them.
U know, class action, only person ever makes money are the lawyers unless it is the Govt forcing an action, just saying. I would do it alone, say maybe in small claims depending upon state laws and such. Class action, U end up with pennies on the dollar on a good day.

DaSOB

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn
Engine
5.7L Hemi
U know, class action, only person ever makes money are the lawyers unless it is the Govt forcing an action, just saying. I would do it alone, say maybe in small claims depending upon state laws and such. Class action, U end up with pennies on the dollar on a good day.
Yep, I was an insurance regulator for 27 years and I saw plenty of class action suits. The attorneys make out like bandits, and the class members get something like a free movie rental or a couple of bucks credit on their phone bill.

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yep, I was an insurance regulator for 27 years and I saw plenty of class action suits. The attorneys make out like bandits, and the class members get something like a free movie rental or a couple of bucks credit on their phone bill.
That is what was so heart-warming when the manufacturer of the now infamous pinto lost the HUGE personal suit for the burning death of her child, and her own lifetime burn recovery/treatments. The head cheese had hired an insurance actuarial team to put a price tag on a burning death in a pinto and burn injuries in same said unfortunate type mishap.

The presiding judge was so incensed as was the jury, that the company was denied setting up a structured settlement and was ordered to write out a HUGE check! This was according to what I read in my research.

And all to save about 2 bucks per car. 50 years should have seen a progress to a more conscientious state of business affairs, but, alas, the government has had to legislate makers of all consumer products to protect us from ourselves. In the case of gross misconduct, though, I'm all for sending the manufacturer a very hefty financial message! :)

DaSOB

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn
Engine
5.7L Hemi
That is what was so heart-warming when the manufacturer of the now infamous pinto lost the HUGE personal suit for the burning death of her child, and her own lifetime burn recovery/treatments. The head cheese had hired an insurance actuarial team to put a price tag on a burning death in a pinto and burn injuries in same said unfortunate type mishap.

The presiding judge was so incensed as was the jury, that the company was denied setting up a structured settlement and was ordered to write out a HUGE check! This was according to what I read in my research.

And all to save about 2 bucks per car. 50 years should have seen a progress to a more conscientious state of business affairs, but, alas, the government has had to legislate makers of all consumer products to protect us from ourselves. In the case of gross misconduct, though, I'm all for sending the manufacturer a very hefty financial message! :)
That story gives me a warm fuzzy. I well recall the "Five Passenger Portable Stove" and that lawsuit. I actually had a Pinto when I was in college, but I got rid of it when I heard that they tended to go "Flame ON!" when rear-ended.

Back to the OT, I got a replacement module from Car Parts Source (it came with the HCU) and installed it on my truck. Truck runs just fine, but I still get a traction control light and of course a VIN mismatch. I can now send in my original module for repair and just drive with the replacement module for a week or so while it's being fixed. I only have a low-end OBD scanner (Innova 5210) that can read ABS codes but not reset anything but the normal DTC's. No biggie - I cut my driving teeth in Dad's '50 Chevy, so I don' need no steenkin' traction control!

After I get my original module fixed, I'll decide what to do with the replacement one - maybe sell it to someone who needs a module, maybe just keep it for a spare.code.jpg

turkeybird56

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That story gives me a warm fuzzy. I well recall the "Five Passenger Portable Stove" and that lawsuit. I actually had a Pinto when I was in college, but I got rid of it when I heard that they tended to go "Flame ON!" when rear-ended.

Back to the OT, I got a replacement module from Car Parts Source (it came with the HCU) and installed it on my truck. Truck runs just fine, but I still get a traction control light and of course a VIN mismatch. I can now send in my original module for repair and just drive with the replacement module for a week or so while it's being fixed. I only have a low-end OBD scanner (Innova 5210) that can read ABS codes but not reset anything but the normal DTC's. No biggie - I cut my driving teeth in Dad's '50 Chevy, so I don' need no steenkin' traction control!

After I get my original module fixed, I'll decide what to do with the replacement one - maybe sell it to someone who needs a module, maybe just keep it for a spare.View attachment 532368
I'd keep as a spare and hope maybe FCA pony up for the money you spent and reward you with a Brand New redesigned one on their dime also (don't hold yer breath).

DaSOB

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I'd keep as a spare and hope maybe FCA pony up for the money you spent and reward you with a Brand New redesigned one on their dime also (don't hold yer breath)
But hope springs eternal! I have a feeling that their "New and Improved" one, if it ever comes out, is just going to have a different assortment of issues from the current ones.

turkeybird56

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
But hope springs eternal! I have a feeling that their "New and Improved" one, if it ever comes out, is just going to have a different assortment of issues from the current ones.
No, say it is not so.

ADDED: I did get 2 letters from FCA other day extending warranty to 8 years,150K for Rear window frame stuff and 10 years, 150K for CHMSL. SO who knows, miracles can happen.

Last edited:

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Not necessarily! Taking the Devil's advocate podium, I will say that the manufacturer (not the car company, Kelsey-Hayes, Bosch, et. al.) have had a challenge soldering electrical control modules sans lead based solder all these past 20 or so years that lead has been outlawed!

A comedian once lamented "Bring back Hee-Haw". The context alluded to a time when products were more sturdy and enjoyed longer dependability lives. I remember our old 2- color TV (Black and White ;)) made by Zenith. The chassis was hot in that it carried 120V AC. Made it quite a challenge for me as a kid to remove the tubes to take them to the 7-11 to test these tubes so we could enjoy Carol Burnett. I got stung more than a few times by this "hot" TV chassis. I learned to NOT touch it.

Remember "The quality goes in before the name goes on"? That was Zenith's ad slogan. I remember Sam Elliot and his manly voice-over advertising RAM trucks during the NFL games years ago... "GUTS! Glory! Ram!".
During those years, Chevy depicted a 1/2 ton Silverado on a construction site having a boulder dropped from a crane 8 or 10 feet up, into it's bed as Bob Seger sang "Like a Rock" in the background and the truck was driven effortlessly away!

People seem to like having their intelligence insulted. Or, perhaps, too many beers at home during a football game dulled the senses just enough to make a Tim Allen inspired "Man-Stuff" crowd believe that these trucks were actually up-scaled Tonka Toys!

Last edited:

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

After I get my original module fixed, I'll decide what to do with the replacement one - maybe sell it to someone who needs a module, maybe just keep it for a spare.View attachment 532368
I worked at one of Houston's premium Ford Dealers as a service tech during the Pinto debacle. To help clarify: Pinto Wagons never had their fuel tank in the precarious position of the sedans. That tank was nestled into the side of the rear quarter panel, and they didn't go boom upon impact.

I personally installed MANY retro kits into the Pintos as a result of the infamous media storm/ debacle of media-induced panic thanks to yellow journalism where interviews were broadcast (Thank you Geraldo!) with grossly disfigured victims of said cars.

Sadly, these VERY good, dependable cars never recovered form public scorn. I personally owned several of them with the repair kits done. Why not? A decent one was about 200-300 dollars. Nobody wanted one. The 1980 model year ended their production.... or did it. Not So fast!!

Enter the 1974 Mustang 2! Yes! The Pinto was reborn! Sportier, but still had the bones of a Pinto! People are so easily mis-led, Eh?

Ironically, I NEVER got rear-ended in my Pintos, but WAS rear-ended BY a Pinto going at a high rate of speed on November 16, 1984. I was driving a 1980 Chevy Luv. Said mini truck had no remarkable safety features. I was critically injured, but survived.... no fires were involved! No one sued Isuzu OR GM, the maker/marketer of these itty bitty trucks.

Life sure has strange twists!

DaSOB

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Not necessarily! Taking the Devil's advocate podium, I will say that the manufacturer (not the car company, Kelsey-Hayes, Bosch, et. al.) have had a challenge soldering electrical control modules sans lead based solder all these past 20 or so years that lead has been outlawed!

A comedian once lamented "Bring back Hee-Haw". The context alluded to a time when products were more sturdy and enjoyed longer dependability lives. I remember our old 2- color TV (Black and White ;)) made by Zenith. The chassis was hot in that it carried 120V AC. Made it quite a challenge for me as a kid to remove the tubes to take them to the 7-11 to test these tubes so we could enjoy Carol Burnett. I got stung more than a few times by this "hot" TV chassis. I learned to NOT touch it.

Remember "The quality goes in before the name goes on"? That was Zenith's ad slogan. I remember Sam Elliot and his manly voice-over advertising RAM trucks during the NFL games years ago... "GUTS! Glory! Ram!".
During those years, Chevy depicted a 1/2 ton Silverado on a construction site having a boulder dropped from a crane 8 or 10 feet up into it's bed as Bob Seger sang "Like a Rock" in the background and the truck was driven effortlessly away!

People seem to live having their intelligence insulted. Or, perhaps, too many beers at home during a football game dulled the senses just enough to make a Tim Allen inspired "Man-Stuff" crowd believe that these trucks were actually up-scaled Tonka Toys!
We must be of about the same "vintage", Sherman. I remember us having not one, but TWO B&W TV's - one of the two-ton console models in the living room, and a "small" one (20" or so) that weighed nearly as much in Mom and Dad's room. And yep, I well remember pulling tubes out and testing them at the local 7-11.

Quality in most everything has been made secondary to quantity and planned obsolescence. Manufacturers actually making products that are designed to last for many years has become a thing of the past - they want their products to go Tango Uniform within a few years so We the People have to buy new stuff from them. Until my home was flooded (4 feet of water) in 2016, I had an old Harvest Gold GE fridge that had been ticking along since my parents acquired it, USED, in the mid-70's. They gave it to me when they bought a new fridge in the early 80's. Even after the flood it would still run, although I had to get rid of it due to flood water having soaked into the insulation. After my home was gutted and repaired (February 2017) I bought a new Frigidaire. It lasted until about 6 months ago, just over 6 years, when it quit cooling properly. Cost to repair it would have been about twice what a new one would cost, so I took the obvious option and just replaced it. So much for "quality" in a product that used to have that.

Not to hijack the thread, but America in general has been "dumbing down" for years. I mean, when you have people watching junk like "Golden Bachelor" and most of the current sitcoms, you have to conclude that the median intellectual level is a lot more shallow than it was even a few decades ago. That makes it much easier for the corporate ad people to sell the public mediocre products with inane, outlandish commercials.

DaSOB

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I worked at one of Houston's premium Ford Dealers as a service tech during the Pinto debacle. To help clarify: Pinto Wagons never had their fuel tank in the precarious position of the sedans. That tank was nestled into the side of the rear quarter panel, and they didn't go boom upon impact.

I personally installed MANY retro kits into the Pintos as a result of the infamous media storm/ debacle of media-induced panic thanks to yellow journalism where interviews were broadcast (Thank you Geraldo!) with grossly disfigured victims of said cars.

Sadly, these VERY good, dependable cars never recovered form public scorn. I personally owned several of them with the repair kits done. Why not? A decent one was about 200-300 dollars. Nobody wanted one. The 1980 model year ended their production.... or did it. Not So fast!!

Enter the 1974 Mustang 2! Yes! The Pinto was reborn! Sportier, but still had the bones of a Pinto! People are so easily mis-led, Eh?

Ironically, I NEVER got rear-ended in my Pintos, but WAS rear-ended BY a Pinto going at a high rate of speed on November 16, 1984. I was driving a 1980 Chevy Luv. Said mini truck had no remarkable safety features. I was critically injured, but survived.... no fires were involved! No one sued Isuzu OR GM, the maker/marketer of these itty bitty trucks.

Life sure has strange twists!
My Pinto was the hatchback model. I really liked it, but I got scared by, as you pointed out, the sensationalistic "reporting" on the fires. I wasn't aware of the different fuel tank positions of the station wagons versus the hatchbacks - I know that Dad had a Pinto station wagon for years and it never blew up.