2016 Ram Hemi squealing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rambm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hi, 2016 Ram with Hemi, makes squealing or screeching noise from engine. Noise is not there during cold start up. Does go away for short periods of time. I pulled the fuse on the electric fan that confirmed that is not the problem. Let me know your thoughts.

ramab

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5 7l
I'm assisting original poster with video. Update- Noise is still present at operating temp with serpentine belt removed.
I have heard the sound in person and thought I heard the sound continue for a split second after engine was turned off.

ramab

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5 7l
Tried posting video several times... Uploads then shows- The uploaded file does not have an allowed extension.

Last edited:

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Are you trying to post the video directly here? If that isnt working upload it to Youtube or another video hosting site and then post the link here...

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Tried posting link here and said post not visible, awaiting admin approval.
When you see that notice, it needs to be approved by someone on the forum staff. Usually someone will be along within a couple of hours to approve the post.

Joe haddock

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I have a very similar noise I am chasing on a 14 hemi outdoorsman . mine is about 1200 rpms coasting 2 belt kits from napa and its still there . using a stethascope I thought i had in pinned down to idler pulley but was wrong . noise is still there

04fxdwgi

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 1500 Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Alternator or A/C compressor clutch maybe. Definitely a rotational noise like a bearing.

A stethascope will work wonders in finding source.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
That sounds like a typical water pump

First thing to do, is disconnect the negative post on the battery.
Then reach under the water pump, you should feel a hole, if your finger gets wet, replace the water pump.

If that does not work ...

Take a couple of pix of the way the serpentine belt goes around the pulleys & remove the belt
start the engine

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
^^^ DITTO ^^^

Rotational: If U pull belt and still have same noise when started, then there is another issue, as rotational internet guessnosis would be wrong since the after listed parts would not be being rotated. Rotational guesses: Sounds like either Idler Tensioner, Lone idler pulley, AC clutches, alternator, water pump.