2017 3/4-Ton Work Truck Challenge

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Iron Outlaw

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I didn't know ford had stepped it up with their gasser. They will probably win. Sounds nice to have new stuff for the gasser crowd

smurfs_of_war

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
?? Is a car still being compared to a tractor. Is this about comparing an apple to an apple, a 3/4 ton to a 3/4 ton. This comparison just makes it sound like the 6.4 is far less capable, as it wears other hats but wears none of them well when compared to other 3/4 tons.

Then the problem is its capacity is over rated. Can't just point out that its the transmission when there's only one transmission for the 3/4 ton 6.4. Sounds like anything over the 10k capacity is too much weight for it then.

Call it being a troll or whatever but the fact is its not as capable as a 6.0.

South, if I wanted the fastest time 0-60 unloaded, I wouldn't buy a truck. The payload results is what the "only" towing test should have been according to the specs, pretty sad it can't compete with far less powered vehicles when put to the true test.
I don't get it. You have been shown where the 6.4 Ram performed better than the competitors in multiple different tests (that include towing) yet you continue to cherry pick that one single (arguably useless) test to fit your narrative and lick GMs nut bag. I have driven both and hauled with both. I'd take the Ram 20 out of 20 times over the GM. Be damned if it can't climb straight up a wall the fastest. Who cares? I'd wonder if it is a moral like the tortoise and the hair?

Quit polluting threads. It's annoying having to scroll through pages of the same whining rhetoric to get to the useful information. Back to my time-out list you go!

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

Danno

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
I don't get it. You have been shown where the 6.4 Ram performed better than the competitors in multiple different tests (that include towing)

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

What towing test??

Certified capacity to SAE J2807 standards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So they say....

Last edited:

gustheram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L

Call it being a troll or whatever but the fact is its not as capable as a 6.0.

Are you kidding with this crap? The 6.4 outperformed the 6.0 in every test except Ike. You've even made a big deal of pointing out how the 6.0 was loaded to capacity while the 6.4 was not. However, they were loaded to the same weight so what does that tell you? The 6.4 is more capable than the 6.0. It has a higher rated capacity. And I'll tell you something else, if they would have loaded the ram to capacity, I bet it would have made it up in just about the same time. The 6.4 has 0 problem with load. What it does have a problem with, as we've all acknowledged because we're not fanboys over hear ********* our favorite truck's exhaust pipe like you seem to be doing with GM, is the fact that the 66RFE sucks. Is that a knock against the truck overall? Yes absolutely. Dodge/Ram transmissions have always sucked. They've gotten better though, so maybe for the 5th Gen we'll get a purpose built HD gas 10 speed. And I'll leave you with this last thought ... if you hate your Ram so much, sell it, leave this board, and leave us all in peace.

Danno

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
I want some of this kool-aid. So put 2-3k pounds in the bed and a technology advanced 50hp more 6.4 outperforms a decade old 6.0. That is to be expected!

Whats not to be expected is the EPIC FAIL of the 6.4 vs the 6.0 on the Ike. Who would have thought a 6.4 with the J2807 rated capacity of 15,500 can't pull 12k. But the 6.0 did with no problem which is at its max capacity, we won't even venture down the whooping the Ford issued. This proves numbers on paper is useless if they can't be put to the ground.

But good news, well not really. Ford updated the 6.2 for all more power and new transmission, sucks to be the 6.4 fanboys!!!

Reality, 6.4 setup is way over rated. True capacity is 10k is the power wagon showed. So go ahead and dry your eyes and give the reason the 6.4 has the world stacked against it. But, but, but..... :baby:

Oh, If anyone would like to add a prius to the equation, please feel free as it may pull better than a 6.4. Because as you know a Ford 9N vs an Nissan altima is like, blah blah blah..... Hey lets add a Ridgeland to the list, hopefully a 6.4 can outperform it. Well probably not.....

Last edited:

68PowerWagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Laramie 3500
Engine
6.7 CTD
I didn't know ford had stepped it up with their gasser. They will probably win. Sounds nice to have new stuff for the gasser crowd

I am not a Ford Basher but I would hope they stepped up their suspension as well. I have heard many owners & witnessed them going down the road with not much load & having the squats!:roflsquared:
They have really stepped up their look. The F150 looks better than it has in decades.

drittal

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I am not a Ford Basher but I would hope they stepped up their suspension as well. I have heard many owners & witnessed them going down the road with not much load & having the squats!:roflsquared:

They have really stepped up their look. The F150 looks better than it has in decades.

The 2017 SD that I have seen all look very high in the back. Maybe they did address the sag issues of the previous Generation. The sag is very noticeable out here in the Bakken and immediately took the SD of the list when I was looking for a SD/HD in 2015. I wonder how the aluminum body panels will handle the rigors of oil field/country roads. While lighter, it is more prone to stress cracks and I wonder about mounting points lasting.

I still don't trust the PSD.

15BlueStreak

Reaction score
Ram Year
N/A
Engine
N/A
The 2017 SD that I have seen all look very high in the back. Maybe they did address the sag issues of the previous Generation. The sag is very noticeable out here in the Bakken and immediately took the SD of the list when I was looking for a SD/HD in 2015. I wonder how the aluminum body panels will handle the rigors of oil field/country roads. While lighter, it is more prone to stress cracks and I wonder about mounting points lasting.

I still don't trust the PSD.

From a looks stand point that I saw when I test drove a 2017 is they are the same. 3 leaf springs and if you get the snow plow pkg or camper pkg you get an overload spring. I suspect they made up for squat in the ways of a spacer. I also am with you on the PSD. This generation seems to be giving good results but for how long? It looks to be the most complicated yet. If I were to get a diesel which may or may not be in the cards if my hemi disappoints on my Tennessee trip it will be a cummins most likely. Chevy also seemed to have a winner with the latest duramax but that is all new too now. I wish they would just perfect them and let the aftermarket crank out the power. How much more do people really need? I think now they are at the cutoff between reliability and fuel mileage payoff.

Last edited:

drittal

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
From a looks stand point that I saw when I test drove a 2017 is they are the same. 3 leaf springs and if you get the snow plow pkg or camper pkg you get an overload spring. I suspect they made up for squat in the ways of a spacer. I also am with you on the PSD. This generation seems to be giving good results but for how long? It looks to be the most complicated yet. If I were to get a diesel which may or may not be in the cards if my hemi disappoints on my Tennessee trip it will be a cummins most likely. Chevy also seemed to have a winner with the latest duramax but that is all new too now. I wish they would just perfect them and let the aftermarket crank out the power. How much more do people really need? I think now they are at the cutoff between reliability and fuel mileage payoff.

But, but,but the Cummins was beat on the IKE test by a diesel with over a 100 less ftlbs!!! (;

OP
OP
SouthTexan

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
I see Danno is still trying to make people as miserable as he is and drinking his kool-aid.

Danno, please read post #30 again, and again until you understand that it wasn't the 6.0L that allowed the GM truck to have a better time up the Ike, it was the transmission in the Ram going into 2nd gear mode. The engine had plenty of power to pull the weight at a faster speed than the GM which is evident by the fact that the Ram had the fastest speed up the Ike before the transmission programming forced it to stay in 2nd gear. If the transmission did not go into limp mode, then the Ram would have beat the GM hands down, and that is a fact.

kry226

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
I rented a 2017 F-250 XLT 6.7 for three weeks last November and I was impressed, to say the least. It wasn't equipped to my liking, but it really showed improvement over the previous generation. The ride was awesome with no harshness and the truck was quiet as could be. Most times, I could barely hear the engine. The cab was huge and the flat floor is a lot better than the hump in the Ram.

Ford has really stepped up their game, but I'm still distrustful of the PSD. In any case, most likely I'm out of the diesel game due to unreliability with emissions, etc. With the 6.2, 4.30s, and 48 gallons of gas, it's really hard to not give the Ford a 2nd look.

RAM_Designs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
I pulled 12k with my 6.4 with 3.73's with no issue...I don't tow in Ike conditions, ever, so that matters to me not one bit. I'd felt comfortable towing 15-16k with it, really. I never had to shift lower than 4th gear either, it was really a pretty pleasant experience.

Danno

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
I see Danno is still trying to make people as miserable as he is and drinking his kool-aid.

Danno, please read post #30 again, and again until you understand that it wasn't the 6.0L that allowed the GM truck to have a better time up the Ike, it was the transmission in the Ram going into 2nd gear mode. The engine had plenty of power to pull the weight at a faster speed than the GM which is evident by the fact that the Ram had the fastest speed up the Ike before the transmission programming forced it to stay in 2nd gear. If the transmission did not go into limp mode, then the Ram would have beat the GM hands down, and that is a fact.

Ok prove it, oh wait you can't..:think: Fact is the 6.4 didn't and cant. Would have, should have if it could have, but it can't. They ran the test twice and contacted ram engineers to be told its operating as designed AKA EPIC FAIL. Blame the transmission all you want but it's a fail as there's only one transmission mated to a 6.4 in the 2500.

Don't like the fact a GM 6.0 beat the almighty 6.4, looks at the less power and less capable Ford 6.2.

Oh look a slow cummins, what's new.... At least it can move the load as advertised unlike the 6.4....:crazy:

Ok lets put this to bed, the 6.4 is the best thing since sliced bread. It can out pull any truck every made, is the quickest and most efficient. Long live the 6.4.......
Now being that I own one I know thats a lot of BS, but if it makes the fanboys feel better there it is.... :baby:

I like the 6.4 and the 2500 and hate to beat the dead horse, but you either need a more capable truck or consider a smaller TH. Some of us learned the hard way too.

Tell us more....:roflsquared: how many model years did you end up going back to unload a 6.4??

Last edited:

RAM_Designs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Don't like the fact a GM 6.0 beat the almighty 6.4

But it's not the engine that won...you talk all day about an old 6.0 beating the 6.4, but that's not the case. It's the tranny that's the deciding factor. Put the 6.4 in the Ford and it betters it's times/loads in every aspect. So I don't know why you get all hung up on the 6.4 vs 6.0 thing, since that is not the deciding factor of the one extreme test you like to point out.

If it were like you stated, where the 6.0 is better than the 6.4, then it would also win out in all the other tests...............................but we all know the 6.4 is a better engine, it's just mated with a tranny that can't do the Ike quickly (which matters none to 99% of people). But keep harping about some workload condition that 99% of people will never see, I'm sure some fellow idiot will agree with you hahahahahahaha.

drittal

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Tell us more....:roflsquared: how many model years did you end up going back to unload a 6.4??

2 years because I was maxed out on my GVWR and GCWR and needed to go 3500 and more GCWR. 6.4l with 4.10 is not on dealer lots, especially second hand to keep from going upside down.

drittal

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I can also tell you as one of the very few people on this forum to encounter the gear hold "feature" I have lost more time to reading codes and shop visits with the Cummins than I ever did towing with the 6.4l. Numerous CEL related to DEF/Emissions and a poorly designed plastic y on the upper radiator hose meant I towed 350 miles home with my pressure cap loose at a reduced speed and I keep the code reader I bought 10yrs ago and used once before this Cummins in the door pocket. Not to mention the yearly fuel filter replacements and snaking the oil filter out a hole in the wheel liner.

...but boy does it pull the passes a minute or two faster.

OP
OP
SouthTexan

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
I can also tell you as one of the very few people on this forum to encounter the gear hold "feature" I have lost more time to reading codes and shop visits with the Cummins than I ever did towing with the 6.4l. Numerous CEL related to DEF/Emissions and a poorly designed plastic y on the upper radiator hose meant I towed 350 miles home with my pressure cap loose at a reduced speed and I keep the code reader I bought 10yrs ago and used once before this Cummins in the door pocket. Not to mention the yearly fuel filter replacements and snaking the oil filter out a hole in the wheel liner.

...but boy does it pull the passes a minute or two faster.

It sucks you have all those issues. I can't say I shared the same fate with mine before I deleted it. You should probably sell it if you are having that much problems with it and the maintenance of it.