2017 Dodge Ram 1500 engine.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CTD

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I think that is just rust proofing grease. There was some on my truck when I first got it, just not to that extent.

Last edited:

Shady

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Looks like cosmoline to me. A rust inhibitor that it's brownish, waxy, & smells like a petroleum product. Usually it's detailed off at the dealer prior to sale. I'd take it back and have the dealer confirm what it is, and clean it up.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
T

trevorhall__

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Looks like cosmoline to me. A rust inhibitor that it's brownish, waxy, & smells like a petroleum product. Usually it's detailed off at the dealer prior to sale. I'd take it back and have the dealer confirm what it is, and clean it up.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Thank you! That's exactly what it is and smells like lol, but I'm going to the dealer Monday morning and see what they say!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: CTD

Addicted2fishing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
It look like the same stuff they spray around the tailgate hinges and at the bottom of the door panels.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jared26

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yeah looks like Fluid Film to me which I used to undercoat my truck with.

Fergusontd

FTD
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My truck was rustproofed and there was nothing like that, it was super clean as it should be. It's possible you have a oil leak like a mist, see your dealer.

JosephVK56

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
rustproofing, why is everyone making a big deal over it? why would you clean it off??? people pay good money for that stuff. i guess you wouldnt want to see my truck, you cant touch anything without getting that shyt all over your hands, i rustproofed the crap out of mine..