Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Its sad that guys are recommending the absolute worst engine ever released in a modern pickup to people who require 0 down time for a business. A few success stories (which are amazing) doesn't change the probabilities of that engine ruining your year.

OP, talk to a few mechanics who fix these things before wasting your money.

OP
OP
gwuhesos

gwuhesos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I am trying to figure out how you find time to post here. With driving 600+ miles per day and all the other things necessary to run a business. If it were me, this would the last thing I would do.
Let me esplain a couple of things. LOL. Most days, it's more than 600 miles per day. Not sure if you can see my response time and rate on here, but it's not great. That 220k may have been +/-, I can do the exact numbers if you are interested, but the truck now has a bit more than 4,000 miles on the new engine.

OP
OP
gwuhesos

gwuhesos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Its sad that guys are recommending the absolute worst engine ever released in a modern pickup to people who require 0 down time for a business. A few success stories (which are amazing) doesn't change the probabilities of that engine ruining your year.

OP, talk to a few mechanics who fix these things before wasting your money.
Well... the money has been "wasted" but my hands were tied. I was stuck between a rock and a hard place...

That being said, the warranty is great (unlimited miles), so I am confident that with proper maintenance of the rest of the truck, and a little more TLC on my part, and this new engine should outlast the previous.

My dad was an A mechanic for years with Ford, so got some insight from him, as well as some local mechanics and friends in the business... advice was mixed, much like on here... with all that, the biggest circumstance was HAVING to keep the truck, so needing the best option available... which is what I believe I did.

Stavinksi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
congrats on 300k plus miles on your truck. You got your moneys worth at any rate. Extra miles on new motor=gravy, new transmission still cheaper than new truck. I’m curious if you got that many miles original transmission. Tranny fluid change ever?

FullForceRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi 2WD Quad Cab
You drove 220,000 miles in one year? 600 miles a day on average, every day? WTF were you driving around to earn extra money doing? How much did you make on that huge investment in time and the value of your truck?
and here I thought I drove alot!! LOL (Average 39-45K a year!)

Cmz2800

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Okay guys, it's go time. I need all the help I can get! Here's the quick run-down... There are many thing I likely could have done to avoid this situation, but I am where I am. Thanks for reading. Enjoy, and let me know if you can offer any insight.

So... I've had this truck, my 2017 1500 BigHorn, since early 2020... picked it up with around 40k miles on it.

Started off as a daily driver, bringing me to and from work, then started working from home, so it was just an errand runner pretty much.

Fast forward to a mid 2021 and we see the $**T hitting the fan, so I started doing some driving to earn extra money.

While I still had the extended warranty, I brought the truck in for a peculiar tick that was fairly loud... Turned out it was an exhaust leak at the header due to a broken bolt... They fixed it, and a few months later, that sound came back... and I was busy driving around, didn't really think twice about it as I had extended the warranty by getting the work done at the dealer.

Well, the warranty expired, and I was stuck with this "exhaust leak".

2022 - Drove 220,000 Miles

Replaced my front wheel hubs due to near failure, recognized symptoms pretty early, and the repair was pretty smooth. Cost like $700 at a local mechanic's shop.

Driving out to Colorado, during a pretty violent wind storm, the truck began exhibiting some issues. The truck was kicked out of cruise control, which at that point was inoperable, and the traction control light came on. I did some quick research and decided it was a wheel speed sensor that was malfunctioning due to the high wind, and load I was trailering. Continued on my trip, and the following day, the issue(s) went away.

2023 - Drove 40,000 Miles

Fast forward to a couple of months ago, I get a P0420 code... which gather is a catalytic converter issue code - which I assumed was due to THE ORIGINAL SPARK PLUGS still being used... ** I am waiting on a prototype set up spark plugs from a Nascar racing development team that they are actually making specific for GEN IV RAM's ** So my plan was take it into the shop, without really having more time to wait for the plugs to be made (available in early 2024)... I get into my truck on Thursday morning, and head over to the mechanic shop, when all of a sudden, the truck made an "odd" sound and began driving terribly. Poor throttle response, noisy, and ROUGH. I immediately turned around and came back home. Had it towed to the shop, and waiting 6 grueling hours to hear that I had collapsed lifters in bank 4.

The truck has 313,000 miles roughly. The engine is shot.

What should I do?

New engine, Used engine, rebuilt engine, rebuild my engine?

Please, I need someone to talk to about this. I think this is the best place for it.

Thanks ahead of time!

**UPDATE** Oct. 27 - Picked up my truck from the dealership, with a new longblock installed. I'll answer all posts below. Happy to answer any questions for clarity to help anyone in the future, though not sure how much of help I would be. Thanks for everyone's feedback and advice.
You drove 220k in one year?!?! WT ever F…

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
That is a load of miles for someone home based in New England. Traffic moves so darn slow back there.

Out here where i live, once i am outside of San Diego's Metropolitan area, the population thins out. 25 miles from the ocean the speed limit is 70 MPH.

I can easily drive from my place to the middle of El Paso Texas in 10 1/2 Hours, that is a distance of 700 miles.

OP
OP
gwuhesos

gwuhesos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That is a load of miles for someone home based in New England. Traffic moves so darn slow back there.

Out here where i live, once i am outside of San Diego's Metropolitan area, the population thins out. 25 miles from the ocean the speed limit is 70 MPH.

I can easily drive from my place to the middle of El Paso Texas in 10 1/2 Hours, that is a distance of 700 miles.
I should update my location... I am just north of Charlotte for the last 3 years roughly.

Pretty convenient location - more or less central to east coast transport... Though I traveled through 44 states this past year...

Not to say when I was up north I drove any less... I held several "jobs" where driving was the assignment. Traffic is no fun, but learning how to drive in NYC, driving all sorts of vehicles, box trucks, commercial vans, towing boats, etc... I generally can find my way around bad jams...

tig_d

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
@OP is there anything you'd do differently regarding the new long block? We're facing a complete engine replacement for my girlfriend's 2013 RAM 2500 and I'm wondering what questions we should be asking, requests we should make while the mechanics are in there, etc. Any guidance would be much appreciated.

Glad you're back on the road!

OP
OP
gwuhesos

gwuhesos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
@OP is there anything you'd do differently regarding the new long block? We're facing a complete engine replacement for my girlfriend's 2013 RAM 2500 and I'm wondering what questions we should be asking, requests we should make while the mechanics are in there, etc. Any guidance would be much appreciated.

Glad you're back on the road!
well, depends on what happened, and why you are in this boat... with a "long block", they don't include quite a few things, like spark plugs, intake manifold, and things like that... I can go more into detail if you need... the dealer claimed that in the case of catastrophic engine failure, the intake manifold should be replaced. Because of the mileage, I have the fuel system serviced, the coolant system services, the 4x4 system serviced... I would just make sure they change the spark plugs, belts, and hoses... and find out what is and isn't included with the new engine. I had various options including a rebuilt engine with 100,000 miles warranty (& 3 years), less with used engine... Luckily this one dealership where I got the work done gave me an UNLIMITED mileage, 3 year, warranty on all parts they installed, including the long block... your gf's ram... is it gas, or diesel?

tig_d

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
well, depends on what happened, and why you are in this boat... with a "long block", they don't include quite a few things, like spark plugs, intake manifold, and things like that... I can go more into detail if you need... the dealer claimed that in the case of catastrophic engine failure, the intake manifold should be replaced. Because of the mileage, I have the fuel system serviced, the coolant system services, the 4x4 system serviced... I would just make sure they change the spark plugs, belts, and hoses... and find out what is and isn't included with the new engine. I had various options including a rebuilt engine with 100,000 miles warranty (& 3 years), less with used engine... Luckily this one dealership where I got the work done gave me an UNLIMITED mileage, 3 year, warranty on all parts they installed, including the long block... your gf's ram... is it gas, or diesel?
Sorry I didn't see your reply for a while, but we're replacing a 5.7 with a remanufactured one from Jasper. Though I advised against it due to signs of abuse and high idle hours, she bought the truck in 2021 with 160k on the odometer. It's had lots of problems from day one. In November, the shop found metal in the oil. I've gotten good advice from others on the forum in the thread about this and hopefully will have an update there in a couple weeks. We'll run Red Line oil and try to take proper care of the new engine. This is a much-needed vehicle for our homestead and Minnesota winters!

Thank you for sharing your experience.

ThinkMud

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
This was a wild ride (no pun intended), and worth the read lol. Hope things are rolling good still gwuhesos!

VVTRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Depends on your financial situation. If all else is good on truck, reman engine and carry on. If not purchase another vehicle. Just my two cents
I agree. We can't all afford a new $70,000 Truck and a used one will have more surprises (The devil you know is better than the Devil you don't know). I f the rest of the truck is in good shape - and especially if you or some buddies can swap out the motor - Have at it! :)

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OasisNinjaBat