2017 Ram 1500 5.7 Towing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

buckeyesfan77

Reaction score
Just bought the truck. How much weight am I able to tow? My stepdaughter is moving and might want to tow a small Uhaul trailer. Any information would be helpful

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Welcome. To get insight, got to know which Trim level you have, model, whether 2WD, 4WD etc. But any suggestions would be guesstimates. Also need to know which U Haul trailer, size, and approximate weight of items you plan to tow.

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
See the above, though your payload should be on a sticker on your driver's door jam.

That said, if it is the smaller uhaul trailers, you should be more than fine to pull it with that truck.

62Blazer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just bought the truck. How much weight am I able to tow? My stepdaughter is moving and might want to tow a small Uhaul trailer. Any information would be helpful
The "small Uhaul trailer" is about all you really need to know. The biggest enclosed cargo trailer UHaul has is only a 6x12 with a max total weight of 4,400 lbs. fully loaded. Regardless of the specific model of truck it should handle that with ease. I guess if you stuffed it full of concrete or something you could make it heavier and overload it....but I doubt you could get enough normal household furnishings in that size trailer to even get up to 4,400 lbs......

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
The "small Uhaul trailer" is about all you really need to know. The biggest enclosed cargo trailer UHaul has is only a 6x12 with a max total weight of 4,400 lbs. fully loaded. Regardless of the specific model of truck it should handle that with ease. I guess if you stuffed it full of concrete or something you could make it heavier and overload it....but I doubt you could get enough normal household furnishings in that size trailer to even get up to 4,400 lbs......

That thought occurred to me after I'd replied - uhaul enclosed trailers are pretty small usually. I went to college with a guy who pulled one of the roughly 4x8ish ones behind his Fiero to move back and forth from home...then wondered why he went through brakes a LOT. He was already a big dude (400+), and then put that behind it...

But OP should be okay, just needs to watch where he's putting the weight to make sure he's not putting too much on the truck.