2018 12 volt interior switched connection for aftermarket accessories?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

razor1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
2018 12 volt interior switched connection for aftermarket accessories? Since the fusebox is the engine compartment now, where in side is the best connection for radar detector and dash camera?

Loudram

Just a sinner saved by grace
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have both plugged into my cig lighters. Radar detector is in the switched one and sits on my dash and dash cam is in the constant one and it mounted next to the rear view mirror. I would think you could get behind the dash and hard wire into those. I'm content just leaving them plugged in (for now).

20220226_164233.jpg
20220226_164228.jpg

Last edited:

Dave Haddon

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You guys obviously do not have a law that prohibits radar detectors or they would not be in plain view.....we use various sneaky ways to disguise ours...hats..kleenex boxes..visor mounts

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Remove the Bezel that surrounds the radio

You don't need to touch the radio itself

Remove the 2 screws under the sun glasses holder, remove the pad & you can see them
IF, you have a 115 VAC receptacle on the right side of the bezel, there is a 3rd screw hiding someplace.

then if you don't have a full floor console

Then grab the bezel at the sunglass holder & give a it a healthy tug
The bezel clips will release at the top & down the edges

Any electrical wires are at the bottom of the bezel

At that point, you can see where your cigarette wires are
The cigarette lighter sockets can easily be replaced with these

1645933503122.png

[Upgraded Version] Quick Charge 3.0 Dual 12V USB Car Charger, Aluminum Socket with Red Digital Voltmeter, Waterproof Car Outlet with Power Switch Button, for Marine Boat Motorcycle Truck Golf Cart etc​

Visit the Qidoe Store

Loudram

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You guys obviously do not have a law that prohibits radar detectors or they would not be in plain view.....we use various sneaky ways to disguise ours...hats..kleenex boxes..visor mounts
Nope, they are legal here in NJ. I know when I was stationed in VA we were not allowed to have them.

Michael

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have both plugged into my cig lighters. Radar detector is in the switched one and sits on my dash and dash cam is in the constant one and it mounted next to the rear view mirror. I would think you could get behind the dash and hard wire into those. I'm content just leaving them plugged in (for now).

View attachment 487001
View attachment 487002
What radar detector do you have? What dash can do you have? Is it just a forward facing can or does it have forward and rear cams? Why did you place them in the spots you did? I’ve been looking some for my truck.

Michael

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
There are also built in ones that are hard to see.

Michael

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Remove the 2 screws under the sun glasses holder, remove the pad & you can see them
IF, you have a 115 VAC receptacle on the right side of the bezel, there is a 3rd screw hiding someplace.

View attachment 487027

[Upgraded Version] Quick Charge 3.0 Dual 12V USB Car Charger, Aluminum Socket with Red Digital Voltmeter, Waterproof Car Outlet with Power Switch Button, for Marine Boat Motorcycle Truck Golf Cart etc​

Visit the Qidoe Store

A usb A connecter? That’s ancient tech. My truck already has two of those that I don’t use. USB C is the one you want these days.

Loudram

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What radar detector do you have? What dash can do you have? Is it just a forward facing can or does it have forward and rear cams? Why did you place them in the spots you did? I’ve been looking some for my truck.
My radar detector is a Cobra. I forget the model but it isn't that expensive. My dash cam is a Nextbase 222.

I lost the window mount for my detector so I chose a dash mount and I wanted it higher than my wipers but not smack in the middle of my dash. The dash cam I just wanted up out of the way. I also have a 7" monitor I mount on the windshield for my trailer rear view camera when I'm towing the trailer. I needed to leave room for that.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
I am just posting an idea, who ever reads it should get the general idea & research it further
We also have friends like you that help us go that next step
:)

Michael

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My radar detector is a Cobra. I forget the model but it isn't that expensive. My dash cam is a Nextbase 222.

I lost the window mount for my detector so I chose a dash mount and I wanted it higher than my wipers but not smack in the middle of my dash. The dash cam I just wanted up out of the way. I also have a 7" monitor I mount on the windshield for my trailer rear view camera when I'm towing the trailer. I needed to leave room for that.
I have a 7” monitor I use when pulling my TT also. I have the Furrion with the two side cameras and the rear camera. Which brand do you have?

Michael

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I am just posting an idea, who ever reads it should get the general idea & research it further
We also have friends like you that help us go that next step
:)
Once I found out using a USB C, instead of a USB A, my phone would charge four times faster, I made the switch.

Michael

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

View attachment 487027

Visit the Qidoe Store

I tried to find a USB C version of that one to replace the power point in my truck, but couldn’t find one. So I had to settle for one that goes inside the power point.

Loudram

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a 7” monitor I use when pulling my TT also. I have the Furrion with the two side cameras and the rear camera. Which brand do you have?
I have a Haloview with just the rear camera.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
I don't have a trailer, i like to know what equipment makes the job easier

Loudram

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I don't have a trailer, i like to know what equipment makes the job easier

A rear view camera is nice to have but not needed. This is my 4th trailer and it's the only one I put a camera on. And it's the second shortest one I've owned so length wasn't a factor. For a travel trailer an electric tongue jack is a must!

My best advice as far as what equipment is best is either do it for years and find out by trial and error or watch a lot of YouTube. I did both but my entire family camps a lot or they used to so the learning curve wasn't as steep for me. But far and away YouTube was the biggest help. I also talk to other campers. Compare notes, check out their set ups, how they do things. You can learn a lot about what to do or not to do.

I think I'm going to start a thread on this topic. Look for it.

Edit: here's the new thread so this thread won't get hijacked.

Last edited:

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
From what i have observed, i see a driver attempting to back a trailer into a spot.
Most of them have another person that is a spotter, most of the spotters are no better than a 12 year old.
They don't move from side to side & they never think about overhead wires or tree limbs.
It would be better if they had a handi talkie for yelling STOP, but very few do.

I would want a 190 degree camera at the top back center of the trailer as an extra precaution

Loudram

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
From what i have observed, i see a driver attempting to back a trailer into a spot.
Most of them have another person that is a spotter, most of the spotters are no better than a 12 year old.
They don't move from side to side & they never think about overhead wires or tree limbs.
It would be better if they had a handi talkie for yelling STOP, but very few do.

I would want a 190 degree camera at the top back center of the trailer as an extra precaution
I use three methods to back up my trailer. My wife, my camera, and the GOAL method. GOAL = Get Out And Look.

Our camera has a mic in it. When my wife talks I can hear her in the truck through the speaker in the monitor. That's a nice feature. Then when I'm on the road I mute the monitor so I don't hear all the road noise.

Last edited:

Loudram

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7