2018 dodge ram making a creaking noise when I turn the wheel

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MeganA89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Anyone know what this could be?? In the last month we just replaced upper and lower control arms, Shocks and struts, wheel bearings, steering column shaft, sway bars, tie rods .. and it only makes this creaking noise if it’s in drive and making a hard turn like at a drive thru or smthn..

Jim BB

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 1500 classic Express
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Not sure if you have struts or coils with shocks if you have struts Check upper strut mount ! They have bearings in them that dry out non serviceable

OP
OP
M

MeganA89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Not sure if you have struts or coils with shocks if you have struts Check upper strut mount ! They have bearings in them that dry out non serviceable
I have the coils but all of that was just replaced by the mechanic shop 2 weeks ago..

Jim BB

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 1500 classic Express
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
ok cool! if it's only been 2 weeks since done and just started since done I would take it back to the shop that did the work and see if they can find anything!

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Anyone know what this could be?? In the last month we just replaced upper and lower control arms, Shocks and struts, wheel bearings, steering column shaft, sway bars, tie rods .. and it only makes this creaking noise if it’s in drive and making a hard turn like at a drive thru or smthn..

Does this creaking noise only happen while turning, when you have the steering cranked to the end of travel? And do you get the same noise intensity while turning left or right?

And welcome.gif to Ram Forum, MeganA89. :cool:

OP
OP
M

MeganA89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Does this creaking noise only happen while turning, when you have the steering cranked to the end of travel? And do you get the same noise intensity while turning left or right?

And View attachment 521419 to Ram Forum, MeganA89. :cool:

Yes only happens when turning like if I turn the wheel all the way it will go. I was thinking cv axel when it’s over extended since that’s the only thing that hasn’t been replaced? And yes same noise both ways. But it’s louder to the left side. And thank you!

OP
OP
M

MeganA89

Reaction score
Ram Year
ok cool! if it's only been 2 weeks since done and just started since done I would take it back to the shop that did the work and see if they can find anything!
Yes i have an appointment scheduled for tomorrow to see what they say now. Hopefully they can figure it out. This will be the 5th time it’s been in the shop for this lol

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yes only happens when turning like if I turn the wheel all the way it will go. I was thinking cv axel when it’s over extended since that’s the only thing that hasn’t been replaced? And yes same noise both ways. But it’s louder to the left side. And thank you!

Does the noise seem more noticeable while in reverse and with the steering cranked?

Try turning the wheel until it makes noise and then back off just a few degrees. If that silences the noise...

I had a Nissan truck that was notorious for doing exactly that same thing. The solution was gooping up the steering stops with any heavy weight grease and problem solved.

What type of vehicle are you driving? Your info just shows 2018.

OP
OP
M

MeganA89

Reaction score
Ram Year
No it’s when it’s in drive with it turned as far as it will go and it will stop once I do turn it back some. It is a 2018 dodge ram big horn 4x4. Just got it back from the shop it’s still not fixed they said at this point they don’t know what it is. They thought it was a dry upper control arm so they greased it but still doing the same thing

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sounds like steering stop on steering knuckle needs some grease, try not turning the wheel from lock to lock, it's not good for the steering rack.

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I tried to locate a picture online of a Ram steering stop and failed.

I'm confident that if I crawl under my truck to grab a picture, the bugs would drag me into the woods and suck all my blood out.

They're a bit ravenous at this time of year.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Orca