2018 Ram 2500 Pulling on Highway

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jwynnejr1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I have a 2018 Ram 2500 4x4 that tends to pull to the right or left depending on what side of the road I'm on. To hold it straight, I have to hold the steering wheel to the right or left at about a 12:15/12:30 or 11:30/11:45, respectively.

My question is this: Is it normal or should I take it in and have it looked at. I'm still under bumper-to-bumper warranty. I know that most roads are built with a crown in the middle and sloped downward slightly on each side for drainage. I'm new to the 3/4-ton world from a 1/2 ton and know that the steering systems are completely different.

In the pics below, I was driving on an interstate. (I know- on the phone while driving. Had to get the pics, though)

IMG_1972.jpg IMG_1973.jpg

chadder1313

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
My power wagon does the same. My 15 Cummins did it too but not as bad as the PW. I think it’s fairly normal depending on how severe the crown of the road banks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

68PowerWagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Laramie 3500
Engine
6.7 CTD
Yeah as your pictures show, it pulls to the left when you are in the hammer lane, & pulls to the right when you are in the granny lane. Mine does it as well, but not quiet as extreme as yours is showing.

OP
OP
J

jwynnejr1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Yeah as your pictures show, it pulls to the left when you are in the hammer lane, & pulls to the right when you are in the granny lane. Mine does it as well, but not quiet as extreme as yours is showing.

I should mention that these pictures are about as bad as it gets. Usually it's not quite that bad, but I do constantly have to hold it in the lane when in a passing lane or driving lane.

OP
OP
J

jwynnejr1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins

Also,
I love your Power Wagon. We have an old power wagon on our farm that is just sitting up. I've always dreamed of getting it out and restoring it.

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
My 2016 2500 does the same thing. The alignment man said he could fix it but I would have to pick a lane. Of course the amount of correction would be twice as bad when driving in the non-preferred lane. Yours looks "even" depending on what lane you are in which would seem to indicate your alignment is OK.

OP
OP
J

jwynnejr1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
My 2016 2500 does the same thing. The alignment man said he could fix it but I would have to pick a lane. Of course the amount of correction would be twice as bad when driving in the non-preferred lane. Yours looks "even" depending on what lane you are in which would seem to indicate your alignment is OK.

They do that in the trucking industry - Alight it to where it stays straight in the right lane.

Iron Outlaw

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Those interestates have so much crown to the . Mine doesnt do it on local roads as much as on the interstate. Center lane stays straight though.

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
The crown of the road is sloped down about 2.5° toward the shoulder in Interstate highways, other roads more or less based on local requirements. Vehicles track differently depending on numerous variables. Your pull is the same both sides of road, so you appear to have pretty true set up. You could maybe try the action mentioned above and align for one lane. Good luck

SeppW

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
I would check tires for wear or broken belt and then front end alignment. Unless there are hundreds of overloaded logging, van, and dump trucks wallowing out lane, I would think a crowned road would be negligible in 4 wheeled vehicle. Wouldn't hurt to eliminate the mechanical and wear aspect. My 2500 tracks straight, no pulling to either to side unless there is really something uneven on road surface. I run 0 degree toe too.

68PowerWagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Laramie 3500
Engine
6.7 CTD
Also,
I love your Power Wagon. We have an old power wagon on our farm that is just sitting up. I've always dreamed of getting it out and restoring it.

Unfortunately that Wagon is not mine. It is just one I pulled off the web. Love to have one like it & another that I could get down & dirty in. :D

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
I would check tires for wear or broken belt and then front end alignment. Unless there are hundreds of overloaded logging, van, and dump trucks wallowing out lane, I would think a crowned road would be negligible in 4 wheeled vehicle. Wouldn't hurt to eliminate the mechanical and wear aspect. My 2500 tracks straight, no pulling to either to side unless there is really something uneven on road surface. I run 0 degree toe too.

Sounds like you've got some actual decent roads around you. Pretty much every road around me looks about like what OP has posted. Also, the larger the crown of the road, the more you're going to have this issue - having grown up on farm roads with serious crown due to heavy farm equipment destroying the roads, you'd be amazed how NOT negligible the effect of a crowned road is.

As for OP, your pics look pretty even - you probably don't have a 'problem.' It may not hurt to have it checked anyway, but you're *probably* fine. My PW does this as well.

Booner21

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 6.4
I have noticed it much more pronounced after I put on 35x12.5 tires. But along with you notice it either way depending on which side of the road I am on. I am about 6k miles intro he new tires and have not noticed any abnormal wear.

62Blazer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Really doubt there is anything wrong. My '16 with 28k miles does the same thing, and I did notice it slightly more when going to 35's. Every vehicle I have ever had did this to some degree and is just natural physics.

TXTONKA

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I have found unless it's pulling hard or always in the same direction. It's normally just the road or tires pulling the steering.

Cpap

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
My experience has been in the left lane my truck tends to do that but in the right lane it doesn't. I had a mechanic explain to me one time that the manufacturers set the alignment specs up assuming a crown driving in the right lane pulling you to the right and adjust the specs slightly to account for this. Can't attest to the source or validity of that info but from the way my vehicles tend to drive it seems accurate to me. If it were my truck would get the alignment checked.

OP
OP
J

jwynnejr1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
My experience has been in the left lane my truck tends to do that but in the right lane it doesn't. I had a mechanic explain to me one time that the manufacturers set the alignment specs up assuming a crown driving in the right lane pulling you to the right and adjust the specs slightly to account for this. Can't attest to the source or validity of that info but from the way my vehicles tend to drive it seems accurate to me. If it were my truck would get the alignment checked.

That sounds right. I’ve never heard of it coming from the dealer with that type of alignment though. I’m thinking I’ll run it by the dealer next week and let them take a look.

G. Mcpherson

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Ram 2500 CC SB Tradesman
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Check out Thuren Fabrication Tech. There is an Alignment Spec that he uses and it works well.

OP
OP
J

jwynnejr1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Check out Thuren Fabrication Tech. There is an Alignment Spec that he uses and it works well.

I just seriously doubt my local mechanic shop is going to follow that spec. I wish they would.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Orca