2018 Ram 2500 Pulling on Highway

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

crazy jerry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
i dont see what the problem is. your steering ever so slightly into the high side of the road in each direction. perfectly normal. i bet it drives straight as can be on a flat road. the steering may not be as crisp or precise as a rack and pinion system that your used to. also tire and rim size change the driving behavior. 20" bro wheels with rubber band tires will drive different than a setup with alot more sidewall

SeventyGTX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My '16 does the same thing even after being aligned twice and a Synergy track bar installed after the cheesy welding on the original. Even had it aligned to Thurens specs. It's not as bad as before the Synergy was installed, but still drives me nuts as my previous Gen 3 2500's never did this. At least not as obvious.

DodgeDude99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
From an engineering stand point as that is my field. Center divided roads are either graded from left to right or vice versa.
Non divided roads break from the center out on 4 lanes, 2 lanes can be that or left to right or vice versa.

you may also be hitting the ruts tractor trailers make. my 2500 will do the same depending on the road.

SeventyGTX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The thing that bugs me is my wifes Lexus RX or my Jeep Liberty aren't nearly as severe, in fact barely noticible on cambered highways. When towing our 5th wheel it is not nearly as bad but empty it's annoying as hell.

OP
OP
J

jwynnejr1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
The thing that bugs me is my wifes Lexus RX or my Jeep Liberty aren't nearly as severe, in fact barely noticible on cambered highways. When towing our 5th wheel it is not nearly as bad but empty it's annoying as hell.

My wife’s Pilot is the same story- hardly noticeable. I think that’s the difference between a rack and pinion steering and ours though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tommy lee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
I have a 2018 Ram 2500 4x4 that tends to pull to the right or left depending on what side of the road I'm on. To hold it straight, I have to hold the steering wheel to the right or left at about a 12:15/12:30 or 11:30/11:45, respectively.

My question is this: Is it normal or should I take it in and have it looked at. I'm still under bumper-to-bumper warranty. I know that most roads are built with a crown in the middle and sloped downward slightly on each side for drainage. I'm new to the 3/4-ton world from a 1/2 ton and know that the steering systems are completely different.

In the pics below, I was driving on an interstate. (I know- on the phone while driving. Had to get the pics, though)

View attachment 203471 View attachment 203472

this is very strange. It should be only one sided. In my case, it was a little to the left to go straight. And, it was a super easy fix that a dealer fixed it for me right away. It was just a steering wheel column adjustment.
It happens to almost every car regardless of brand. Your case is not normal.. It should be the road or your tire. The road is usually not flat to help flow the rain or water to one side. There are the roads with the middle lane higher than the right or left lane. Try to find the road and drive your truck on the middle lane to find it out.

OP
OP
J

jwynnejr1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
this is very strange. It should be only one sided. In my case, it was a little to the left to go straight. And, it was a super easy fix that a dealer fixed it for me right away. It was just a steering wheel column adjustment.
It happens to almost every car regardless of brand. Your case is not normal.. It should be the road or your tire. The road is usually not flat to help flow the rain or water to one side. There are the roads with the middle lane higher than the right or left lane. Try to find the road and drive your truck on the middle lane to find it out.

The interstates I drive are crowned in the between the left and center lane on three-lanes and the dead center on two-lanes. The truck is reacting as it would in those situations. Is your truck a 2500. If so, are you telling me yours does not pull to either side, depending on which lane you're in?

grumpyb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If you have a concrete interstate close by , pick a straight stretch and let go of the wheel and it should track straight.

SeventyGTX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My wife’s Pilot is the same story- hardly noticeable. I think that’s the difference between a rack and pinion steering and ours though.

You may be right, but I have had plenty of trucks 1500s and 2500s and none were as bad as this Gen 4 Ram 2500. Even the two Gen 4 1500's I had (09 and '12) didn't have this pulling issue. Besides that, I love the truck so just live with it on cambered highways.

OP
OP
J

jwynnejr1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
If you have a concrete interstate close by , pick a straight stretch and let go of the wheel and it should track straight.

Is the crown different on concrete interstates, or are you recommending this because concrete isn't quite as susceptible to rutting by heavy loads as asphalt? I'm afraid I'll have a hard time finding a concrete stretch where I am, as all of our interstates are asphalt-paved save some bridges.

OP
OP
J

jwynnejr1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
You may be right, but I have had plenty of trucks 1500s and 2500s and none were as bad as this Gen 4 Ram 2500. Even the two Gen 4 1500's I had (09 and '12) didn't have this pulling issue. Besides that, I love the truck so just live with it on cambered highways.

I love mine as well. My only two complaints really are this steering and the strange smells from the engine I get sometimes after I use my engine brake. It doesn't really wander. I just get tired of holding it to one side sometimes. As you said, probably something I just have to live with.

sam darakjy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Tradesman Crew Cab 4x4
Engine
6.4 Hemi
My 18 2500 does this just a little in the interstate. I was thinking of dual stabilizer or steering brace to help tighten things up

East0352

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Trying to warranty it won’t fix it. Mine is way worse and only to the left, no matter what side of road I am on. There is a tubber dampener in the steering column. It is just way too soft and allows a lot of slop in the steering. You will have to shore it up to fix this.

OP
OP
J

jwynnejr1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Trying to warranty it won’t fix it. Mine is way worse and only to the left, no matter what side of road I am on. There is a tubber dampener in the steering column. It is just way too soft and allows a lot of slop in the steering. You will have to shore it up to fix this.

Which side of the firewall is the dampener on?

East0352

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Which side of the firewall is the dampener on?

On inside. Video will show where it is. I had to pull the stuff from this guy’s fix when I made FCI warranty it out. I need to try again. Think I’m going to try epoxy, this time though. Dealer did swap it out, but after two years it is doing it again, so something is causing it. I’ve told them multiple times that there is play in the drag-link outer tie rod and they’ve changed literally everything but that tie-rod. I’m just going to get the Synergy Drag-link and call it quits. Fixes the stupid recall on the drag-link too. Makes no damned sense to weld an adjustment part.

Last edited:

LI Guy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Diesel
I have a 2018 Ram 2500 4x4 that tends to pull to the right or left depending on what side of the road I'm on. To hold it straight, I have to hold the steering wheel to the right or left at about a 12:15/12:30 or 11:30/11:45, respectively.

My question is this: Is it normal or should I take it in and have it looked at. I'm still under bumper-to-bumper warranty. I know that most roads are built with a crown in the middle and sloped downward slightly on each side for drainage. I'm new to the 3/4-ton world from a 1/2 ton and know that the steering systems are completely different.

In the pics below, I was driving on an interstate. (I know- on the phone while driving. Had to get the pics, though)

View attachment 203471 View attachment 203472

mine does the same..

OP
OP
J

jwynnejr1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
On inside. Video will show where it is. I had to pull the stuff from this guy’s fix when I made FCI warranty it out. I need to try again. Think I’m going to try epoxy, this time though. Dealer did swap it out, but after two years it is doing it again, so something is causing it. I’ve told them multiple times that there is play in the drag-link outer tie rod and they’ve changed literally everything but that tie-rod. I’m just going to get the Synergy Drag-link and call it quits. Fixes the stupid recall on the drag-link too. Makes no damned sense to weld an adjustment part.

Don’t get everyone started on that dang recall. Burns me up. Thank you for the link. I also found a video on how to do an adjustment at the gearbox.

Dalton

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 TD
I have a new 2500 and it does slightly pull or "drift" but much more noticeable on highly crowned roads.