2019 ram 1500 classic trailer brake question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jason53177

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 ram classic
Engine
I do not have trailer brake controller on my 1500 but am borrowing a car hauler with brakes to go pick up my sons car that broke down. Since I don’t have a brake controller will I have any trailer brakes?

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
That's a lot of weight to have flinging around with no control. Get a truck with controller or call a tow truck. Don't potentially creat a worse situation than your current one. You may be a safe driver but you can't control the one who cuts you off and sends you into another car because you can't stop.

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
That's a lot of weight to have flinging around with no control. Get a truck with controller or call a tow truck. Don't potentially creat a worse situation than your current one. You may be a safe driver but you can't control the one who cuts you off and sends you into another car because you can't stop.

I'm in agreement with the above.

I'm going to put it like this - depending on the weight of the car and how far you need to go, you MIGHT get away with this, but I wouldn't do it often.

If you've only got to go a few miles with the car loaded, and it doesn't put the car hauler over its limit, and you keep your speeds down and take decent back roads, you might be okay.

If you need to go any real distance or have to get on an expressway or main roadway like a state highway, or if the car weighs a decent amount (for instance, more than the payload of the trailer), I wouldn't do it. I'd get a truck with a brake controller if you have to go any distance or higher speeds, and definitely make sure you're not over the payload of the trailer.

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I'm in agreement with the above.

I'm going to put it like this - depending on the weight of the car and how far you need to go, you MIGHT get away with this, but I wouldn't do it often.

If you've only got to go a few miles with the car loaded, and it doesn't put the car hauler over its limit, and you keep your speeds down and take decent back roads, you might be okay.

If you need to go any real distance or have to get on an expressway or main roadway like a state highway, or if the car weighs a decent amount (for instance, more than the payload of the trailer), I wouldn't do it. I'd get a truck with a brake controller if you have to go any distance or higher speeds, and definitely make sure you're not over the payload of the trailer.
Unless he meets another brakeless trailer on that back road at a curve. Ha-ha. I certainly would rather see this than a tow strap hook up running down the interstate, though.

RLJ10X

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The brake controller I have was inexpensive. It's Plug and Play. It works perfectly.

Just go buy one.

A Weigh Safe Hitch is really nice too.

Air Bags..... and you're set.

Attachments

• IMG_2482.jpg
    IMG_2482.jpg
    292.8 KB · Views: 7

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Unless he meets another brakeless trailer on that back road at a curve. Ha-ha. I certainly would rather see this than a tow strap hook up running down the interstate, though.
Which is why I said keep speeds down. As in 45 mph or less, and slow down for curves, making DAMN sure to stay on his side of the yellow.

This wasn't the 'gotcha' you thought it was.

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Which is why I said keep speeds down. As in 45 mph or less, and slow down for curves, making DAMN sure to stay on his side of the yellow.

This wasn't the 'gotcha' you thought it was.
No, didn't take it negative. Written words fail me sometimes, just needed a meme that lightheartedly showed such a meeting, but that I couldn't find. Tried to soften with the ha in there. All good.

OP
OP
J

Jason53177

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 ram classic
Engine
I ended up having it towed and ordered the brake controller. Too old to be reckless

Heatheroo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
I ended up having it towed and ordered the brake controller. Too old to be reckless
Better safe than sorry. For future reference, I have a 2019 Classic also. I installed a Tekonsha Primus IQ. IIRC it was ~$130.00. Assuming your truck already has a 7 pin connector at the bumper, installation is maybe 20 minutes, w/no drilling required.

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Better safe than sorry. For future reference, I have a 2019 Classic also. I installed a Tekonsha Primus IQ. IIRC it was ~$130.00. Assuming your truck already has a 7 pin connector at the bumper, installation is maybe 20 minutes, w/no drilling required.

While it's a good controller, frankly nothing beats the factory controller. It makes braking 100% seamless between the truck and trailer.

Irishthreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
When I had a ‘19 1500 I put in the OEM integrated controller. I want to say the part was $120 but can’t recall for sure.

RLJ10X

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The Tekonsha works really well. I woul have preferred the factory unit, but at the time, I found only one, and it was the wrong color.

When I use the Tekonsha, I simply jam it into the littleubby where the factory unit was supposed to be. When not in use, I simply unplug it and put it in the console.

My controller definitely works. It's a better Towing experience with a brake controller.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OasisNinjaBat