2020 1500 Lift & Tires

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

stereo_luver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I've had my 2020 1500 4x4 Bighorn for almost 2 years. It's time for new tires and I'm wanting a little more clearance and a better look. When purchased the dealer had installed the Mopar level kit with 33x12.5x20 Nitto RG tires. I'm thinking I'd like to go up in tire size to a 35". From what I'm researching I'll have to purchase a complete new lift kit to get the extra 1.5" of lift I'm looking for.

In addition to the new larger tires I'm thinking I'll need to have the transmission shift points adjusted as well as the speedometer calibrated for the larger tires. The truck came equipped with a 3:92 gear so I should be fine there. The acceleration and shift through gears is great with the 33" tires and the 3:92 gear. I'm hoping not to lose too much of that performance going up in tire size.

1.) Is a complete new kit required for the additional 1.5" lift I need? If so which is the preferred supplier?
2.) Will the dealer make the adjustments to the shift points and calibrate the speedometer? (I'm a retired technician out of the field of mechanics for over 20 years now. Can I do this on my own?)
3.) How much of my current performance can I expect to lose going up in tire size?
4.) Am I forgetting anything while planning this upgrade?

The truck has 46k miles and will still be under the 60k mile warranty when I do this upgrade. Do I wait until I am out of the 60k warranty period before doing the upgrade?

Thanks for your input.

kurek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You can recalibrate the vehicle controls easily and inexpensively with a OBD2 dongle and an Android phone or tablet running Jscan or AlfaOBD software.

The acceleration and braking performance change you will experience is roughly the same as the difference in tire circumference so 35 is 6% larger than 33.

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You will want a 4" lift kit or just go with a 6" for the small amount more in money. I would recommend a kit from Zone. Do you have a Classic (4th gen) or the new body style(5th gen)?

For tire size calibration I would recommend going with the EDGE Pulsar. This will kill 2 birds with 1 stone. Calibrate for new tires size and offer more hp and tq to combat the lose of power due to heavier tires.

Message me and we can go over options and pricing.