2021 12” screen went black

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

whodatschrome

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 3500 SRW
Engine
cummins
Hi all,
new member here. I have a 2021 Ram 3500 with a 12” screen...that went black. There’s currently about 50k miles on the truck.

Now before everyone jumps on me for posting up a REALLY common question to a REALLY common problem, i have been researching on a solution to fix the screen for the past 2 weeks. Also my problem might be a little bit different...

To start out with the backstory, i was working on installing some auxiliary switches in the lower dash. I wanted to tee off 12vdc power from the cigarette plug that’s located on the top of the dash. I removed the entire 12” infotainment screen assembly (it was super easy and straightforward to do). With the screen assembly removed, the FM radio was still operational when the ignition was turned on. I ended up having the screen assembly removed from the dash for a few days. When it came time to reinstall it, the screen was black. The buttons on the sides still work to control the HVAC and the radio, but now only the AM radio works.

I’m 100% confident that all the plugs are reconnected (i triple checked) to the back of the screen assembly. I’ve spent multiple hours google searching a solution. I’ve tried multiple times to reset the screen, but nothing has worked yet.

The only thing i can narrow it down to is that possibly there’s a security system built into the screen and if it’s disconnected from the wire harness for too long that it somehow has to be rebooted by a dealer?

I’m open to all suggestions. I suppose my last resort is to take it into the dealer, but i’m hoping to sort this one out without them.

thanks C8BFFF81-1450-495B-AAC7-477BEBF7A241.jpeg

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
The only thing i can narrow it down to is that possibly there’s a security system built into the screen and if it’s disconnected from the wire harness for too long that it somehow has to be rebooted by a dealer?
I know these head units are VIN-locked to the vehicle it was initially installed in. Never heard of a situation of being out of the truck for a period and then no work.

All I can think of;
1. Check fuses
2. Check all of the connects looking for a bent pin.

OP
OP
W

whodatschrome

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 3500 SRW
Engine
cummins
I know these head units are VIN-locked to the vehicle it was initially installed in. Never heard of a situation of being out of the truck for a period and then no work.

All I can think of;
1. Check fuses
2. Check all of the connects looking for a bent pin.
Thanks for the reply Boss. If having the screen removed for a period of time doesn’t black out the screen, then at least it will narrow down the possibilities.

One of the first things i checked were the fuses. My fuse box is located up the hood, and i checked each and every fuse with my Fluke meter, and all was good there.

I’ll take another look-see if any pins were bent, but the connectors are pretty much foolproof...but then again no doubt at different points in my life i have been living proof that i’ve been a fool...

OP
OP
W

whodatschrome

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 3500 SRW
Engine
cummins
UPDATE:

I just got it sorted. Turns out i didn’t have the round white connector all the way installed. There are a total of 5 connectors that plug into the back of my 12” screen assembly. The very top is for the 12v cigarette port, two middle ones are for the main screen, and the two bottom ones are for the the aux switches and the trailer brake.

Knowing that only the two middle plugs power up the screen, i focused on them. I then mainly focused on the white round connector, just because it was a different shape plug and looked way more important that the square grey plug. I pushed the white plug in really hard and the screen briefly turned on then back off again. So obviously that was the offending spot. I then pressed the plug in REALLY hard and rocked it back and forth. I did not hear an audible click, but it was now VERY solidly connected. I then reinstall the screen and it’s all good to go! I’m VERY, VERY relieved! Especially since this is actually my sister’s truck. 9EE6094F-F1EA-4859-8F64-702BD862B74D.jpegB4509303-2C7B-4264-89E4-4F6662E0BCCA.jpeg62FE9CD4-07A0-4FA7-984E-C9BAF66478CD.jpeg6FE951DB-FC3E-4018-9374-E8EEFD6FA808.jpeg5944925A-B76D-440A-B461-5DCE99EE3CAF.jpeg

bowtie92rs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hi all,
new member here. I have a 2021 Ram 3500 with a 12” screen...that went black. There’s currently about 50k miles on the truck.

Now before everyone jumps on me for posting up a REALLY common question to a REALLY common problem, i have been researching on a solution to fix the screen for the past 2 weeks. Also my problem might be a little bit different...

To start out with the backstory, i was working on installing some auxiliary switches in the lower dash. I wanted to tee off 12vdc power from the cigarette plug that’s located on the top of the dash. I removed the entire 12” infotainment screen assembly (it was super easy and straightforward to do). With the screen assembly removed, the FM radio was still operational when the ignition was turned on. I ended up having the screen assembly removed from the dash for a few days. When it came time to reinstall it, the screen was black. The buttons on the sides still work to control the HVAC and the radio, but now only the AM radio works.

I’m 100% confident that all the plugs are reconnected (i triple checked) to the back of the screen assembly. I’ve spent multiple hours google searching a solution. I’ve tried multiple times to reset the screen, but nothing has worked yet.

I’m open to all suggestions. I suppose my last resort is to take it into the dealer, but i’m hoping to sort this one out without them.

thanks View attachment 531574
WELL????? DID YOU GET IT FIXED? MINE DID IT YESTERDAY OUT OF THE BLUE. SOOOOO FRUSTRATING

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
WELL????? DID YOU GET IT FIXED? MINE DID IT YESTERDAY OUT OF THE BLUE. SOOOOO FRUSTRATING
Did you read the post just above yours? The OP said it was fixed and there is even a picture of it working with a thumb up.

runamuck

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 dsl
mine has gone all black twice..only took turning off and back on for it to work correctly again.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OasisNinjaBat