2022 Ram 1500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bob Horowski

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I want to install a front mount receiver hitch on my truck. While looking under the front of the vehicle I spotted some sort of electric motor controlled air shield /deflector. I can't find any information in the owner's manual as to what it is or does. Anyone know what this mechanism is and it's function and how it's controlled? It is NOT between the grille and radiator. It is behind the bottom of the radiator and is connected to brackets on the frame rails. I also noted the crossmember support underneath the engine between the frame rails is perforated. I imagine this is also for better air flow underneath the engine and transmission as there are factory skid plates under vehicle [off road package].

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I've removed the AAD's on all three 5th gens we've owned. Never had a CEL, but I'm told it does throw an internal code which doesn't trigger the CEL. But it never affected how any of those trucks drove, and the difference in fuel economy was negligible for us. Might make some difference if you spend a lot of time at freeway speeds. The cross-member is perforated whether you have skid plates or not. I think it's more for weight savings than aero.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've removed the AAD's on all three 5th gens we've owned. Never had a CEL, but I'm told it does throw an internal code which doesn't trigger the CEL. But it never affected how any of those trucks drove, and the difference in fuel economy was negligible for us. Might make some difference if you spend a lot of time at freeway speeds. The cross-member is perforated whether you have skid plates or not. I think it's more for weight savings than aero.
@mikeru

Had not thought about removing that dang mechanism. I did manage to drag it on some concrete parking one time. Think it did not extract back up from highway running.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juanita Kelley