220 amp alternator

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jknappen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What would it take to replace the current alternator with a 220 amp one? I run lights and sirens for Fire department 2013 Ram Hemi

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
I'd check to see if you could order the special service vehicle alternator through your dealership, or contact DC power to see if they have one available yet.

BlkRamRt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
check out mechman also. not sure if they make one for that rams.

OP
OP
jknappen

jknappen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Would it be as simple as swap them out or would I need new wiring harness for it?

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
completely plug-n-play. Uses the factory system for voltage regulation, though, I'd recommend a big-3 upgrade if you're going to run a high amp alternator.

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
Because you had to be a ****, and not just suggest upgrading cables x, y, and z... C'mon let's not create more strife than this forum already has. Some people aren't as knowledgeable as others, and being polite doesn't cost us anything!

You can take it that way, or you can realize that I gave him explicit directions to find the most comprehensive library of videos, images, blogs, and write-ups on the very subject he asked for without just saying 'google it' or spending a lot of my time covering a subject that other can, and have, put a lot more indepth input into; but yeah, I'm a ****.

jlb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD
All you did was google it for him. You could have linked an article you know to be correct and informative instead of just showing him the google results which normally contain 90% bull, and 10% useful info while treating him like a 5 year old.

I am just trying to make the point that there is a lot of snappy behavior on here recently, and it doesn't need to be that way. We all come here to help each other out, or to seek knowledge from the people who know more. Nothing on here needs to be a ******* match, or rude retort.

I am certainly not saying that the suggestion wasn't valid or useful!

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
Hey, I'm just glad that you took the time out of your day to add nothing useful to this thread, twice, that's over a month old with no activity since to come and call me a ****. If you had wanted to maintain the moral high ground and be helpful ,rather than come off as a complete *******, you could have told him to replace cables x, y, and z, but instead you decided that bashing my help was a better use of your time. Next time you can make a useful comment rather than go after someone else's post that DID give direction to pertinent information.

OP
OP
jknappen

jknappen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Did you figure it out and buy a 220a alt yet?

I have not things were put on hold for a bit for financial reasons. Is the special vehicle alternator a 220? also will doing a big 3 hurt a vehicle if not running a lot of extra stuff all the time? I want to put in a federal signal either model 28 or Q2b mechanical siren. Both of these will require extensive power as they pull 100 amps when maxed out. they require a 4awg wire from the battery to the switch and then switch to the siren itself. all in all am i correct in saying that I would be safe using a 220A alternator, big 3 wire upgrade, and an upgraded battery would do the trick for my needs? by the way does anyone happen to have ea part number for the 220A alternator from Mopar for the special vehicle pkg?

Dubstep Shep

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 R/T
Engine
5.7L Hemi
BTW guys, I used to work for Remy, so if you have any serious questions I can get in contact with an engineer there and get them answered.

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
It depends on the year and which alternator was installed. For the '09 there is a 135 and a 165 listed depending on what accessories were factory installed.

OP
OP
jknappen

jknappen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Uh, I thought the OEM alternator was a 220amp already?

Product Detail - 20161 NDIESC6P Reman Alternator | Remy

I believe that mine is a 180amp factory. Be nice if the stock one was 220 then I wouldnt have to buy a new one at over 400 bux. Also would the big 3 upgrade with no other modifications hurt my truck? What battery should I go with to upgrade my electrical system I see crutchfield sells them.. Just for info I am asking all this because I will be using a mechanical siren that pulls 100 amps when wound up all the way. Not all the time but here and there. also will have a fire truck air horn so the compressor as well as all the lights on my truck will be running while responding to runs.

Dubstep Shep

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 R/T
Engine
5.7L Hemi
It depends on the year and which alternator was installed. For the '09 there is a 135 and a 165 listed depending on what accessories were factory installed.
Interesting...

If Remy sells it, like in that link, it's a straight replacement for that application.

Try putting in your year truck and see what you get.

blackbetty14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT/Etorque
Anytime you upgrade the alternator u should upgrade the wire that goes to the battery. You only need to upgrade the alt when your exceeding the alt's limit on amperage in which case your also limiting the charging cable as more amps will go through it as the alt tries to
keep up with the demand and maintain voltage. A 220 amp Alt will require a min of 4 gauge but you might as well run 2 gauge to Be safe. Mainly bc u might need to go with a larger amp in the future. I'm a big fan of larger than required wire as I would kill myself if a electrical fire resulted in me being cheap or dumb. With that being said I would run the 2 and never worry about it again. I run a 4 gauge on my 130-150 amp with a manual 150 amp resetable circuit breaker to be safe. You might want to look into one of those. So you would need to upgrade the large fat wire from the alt to the battery comPletely for sure.