2500 exhaust options

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nukegm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
the muffler was 166 on amazon
the dude at the muffler shop was 40 plus a little corona.:)

i couldnt sleep at night once i found out that there was a valve in the stock muffler. that kind of thing makes me crazy.

theviking

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Just to confirm, when you say no drone does that mean you can't hear the exhaust at all when cruising at a steady throttle (highway speeds, etc.)?

nukegm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
Just to confirm, when you say no drone does that mean you can't hear the exhaust at all when cruising at a steady throttle (highway speeds, etc.)?
to confirm, no drone anywhere on my 30 mile city/highway/mountain drive to work.

the cab is very quiet at highway speed especially.

if there was an attempt of a drone ( bareley audible all accessories off etc ) it would be ONLY at EXACTLY 1500 rpm. anything over / under that the noise is gone - totally gone.

i guess all applications are a little different. my muffler inlet is at the inlet of where factory muffler was. then a short section of pipe....i have an 8 foot box btw. kept resonator...

after driving a little more, i like the modification even more...cheers!

OP
OP
R

reek

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 RAM 2500 CC 4x4, 72 D100, 73 D100, 01 RAM 2500 field truck
Engine
6.4 Hemi
to confirm, no drone anywhere on my 30 mile city/highway/mountain drive to work.

the cab is very quiet at highway speed especially.

if there was an attempt of a drone ( bareley audible all accessories off etc ) it would be ONLY at EXACTLY 1500 rpm. anything over / under that the noise is gone - totally gone.

i guess all applications are a little different. my muffler inlet is at the inlet of where factory muffler was. then a short section of pipe....i have an 8 foot box btw. kept resonator...

after driving a little more, i like the modification even more...cheers!

this is good to hear. I already updated my sig but my mufflex is coming tomorrow!

smurfs_of_war

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4

Snake_Eyes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l Hemi
Has anyone tried the muffler delete and left the resonator on?

Yes, that's what I have on my truck. There is no drone at any speed that I can tell. It is too quite at idle though...but when you put your foot in it, it's awesome! I've had it on for over a year now and have don't plan to change it.

hammer40

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Power Wagon
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I have the Magnaflow 19200 cat back kit. Kit uses there biggest muffler (22") plus a resonator before the axle so you eliminate the ugly factory look. Has a typical signature Magnaflow sound. I also have ARH headers so can't comment on how just the cat-back would be alone (did the headers first). I did post a couple of quick videos for those interested.

With the headers it has a slight drone at highway speeds. Certainly not overbearing but you can hear the exhaust a bit at highway speeds. Still, much quieter than Flowmaster or even Borla kits I've used in the past.

I think I'm most interested in this set up for my PW. The resonator hanging out the back just kills me. I had Corsa Sport on my 5.4 Ford and liked it. My hope is that this one is just a touch quieter.

theviking

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I've read that with the stock manifolds/downpipe it's pretty quiet. Hard to say for sure since it's such a subjective topic.

OP
OP
R

reek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
got my mufflex on. Definitely louder than a corsa. less clear and less throaty sound. Still early since I just installed it last nite but can't decide if I like it enough to keep it yet.

Skrap

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie MegaCab 4x4
Engine
got my mufflex on. Definitely louder than a corsa. less clear and less throaty sound. Still early since I just installed it last nite but can't decide if I like it enough to keep it yet.

Would you be able to post a video with sound. I'd prefer if you were driving and someone else standing on the street with camera/recorder. If you can't no big deal. I saw/listened to the Mufflex video with the white 2500 but it seems to be either poor quality or the Mufflex doesn't have the best sound in the world. Thanks

OP
OP
R

reek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Would you be able to post a video with sound. I'd prefer if you were driving and someone else standing on the street with camera/recorder. If you can't no big deal. I saw/listened to the Mufflex video with the white 2500 but it seems to be either poor quality or the Mufflex doesn't have the best sound in the world. Thanks

Not sure if I can oblige. No real recorder except my phone (poor quality droid) and I doubt the wife would want to stand on the side of the road while I drive by her. She already thinks I'm a shmuck messing with a new expensive truck that's just fine as is.

I will try to describe the sound of the mufflex / magnaflow. I personally think it sounds terrible at a cold start. I've used my remote start all day today going in and out of work. Sounds like it either is starting in 4 cylinder mode or the engine pulses are just off. under way, it sounds loud and boomy and only after passing about 3000 rpm dose it sound like a nice growling V8. Cabin noise is more than I'm used to but its more loud in volume not so much as head-killing drone.

I've only had it on a day so I'm going to let it run for a while before I decide if I'm going to put my muffler back on. Take my eval with a grain of salt, I'm in my mid forties and was probably looking for a bit more sound rather than a loud truck. aka, grumpy old man. Having said that for perspective, I just love how my GSXR sounds with its Akrapovic can and how my VFR V-4 sounds with its leo vince slip ons. My 64 Elcamino with a 383 stroker has a true dual with H pipe and Corsa reds, sound perfect. And my ex 2014 1500 5.7 with corsa cat backs was just about perfect. So I guess I'm old but not dead yet...:naughty:

Last edited:

theviking

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I just love how my GSXR sounds with its Akrapovic can and how my VFR V-4 sounds with its leo vince slip ons

Kind of cheating, VFR's V4's always sound awesome:)

luckydog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I have the Magnaflow on my '14 regular cab and love it. Magnaflow said wouldn't fit a regular cab but it does. I love the sound, just loud enough in the cab to know it's there but sounds great outside.

OP
OP
R

reek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I've now run 2 tanks of gas through the Mufflex set up. It sounds a bit better but still a bit loud in my cab. Not sure if I just need a new ****** or not but it's a little hard to bear. at 1500 rpm in 6th gear, it's just almost booming. it even drowns out my subwoofer.

tjfdesmo

Reaction score
I've now run 2 tanks of gas through the Mufflex set up. It sounds a bit better but still a bit loud in my cab. Not sure if I just need a new ****** or not but it's a little hard to bear. at 1500 rpm in 6th gear, it's just almost booming. it even drowns out my subwoofer.

I was afraid that would be the case, and that's why I have stuck with the ****** OEM flappercan. I have contacted Mufflex several times to urge them to make a setup with a larger/quieter muffler, but they just blew me off. I just want the thing to have a bit of V-8 rumble, and not sound like a damn hair dryer. I am too old to listen to racket while I am towing.

OP
OP
R

reek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I was afraid that would be the case, and that's why I have stuck with the ****** OEM flappercan. I have contacted Mufflex several times to urge them to make a setup with a larger/quieter muffler, but they just blew me off. I just want the thing to have a bit of V-8 rumble, and not sound like a damn hair dryer. I am too old to listen to racket while I am towing.

Yup, me too. I've asked for a larger can, no reply yet. my old ears can't handle the under load noise, it just is too loud. It's barely been a week but I'm already planning to re-install my OEM muffler sometime this week. I'm going to harass the guys over at Corsa some more.

grizzjeeper

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Reek, you have the resonator delete as well? I have mufflex and resonator and it's almost too quite in cab...and I'm pushing 40 and don't want a loud exhaust just a nice deep rumble.

OP
OP
R

reek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Reek, you have the resonator delete as well? I have mufflex and resonator and it's almost too quite in cab...and I'm pushing 40 and don't want a loud exhaust just a nice deep rumble.

No, kept the resonator, just the mufflex/Magnaflow. It's not always boomy. Just at about 1200-2100 rpm which unfortunately translates to about 70 mph or highway speed. perfectly flat is less evil but even a small uphill grade will make it pretty loud in the cab. no other mods to the truck. MDS turned off at the shifter most of the time. I've been accelerating somewhat aggressively to hurry up and get over 2000 rpms around town. As long as I'm not in that rev range, it sounds great, just a touch loud. at 80 mph, very nice moderate rumble sound, perfect but I can't do 80 everywhere without getting my insurance rates bumped up.

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
It will quiet down more. Granted it's a bit hard for me to tell just how much louder over stock it is while at Highway speed due to running mt's. They drown out the exhaust quite a bit. I was worried at first that it was going to be too loud but once it brakes in I couldn't imagine going with something different.

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stevo5441