25k to replace batteries

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JerryETX

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 2500
Engine
Hemi 6.4- 3:73- 6 Speed
Came across an article that talks about battery replacement costs for the EV Ram. I’m sure this is with the extended range battery option but they’re saying about $25,000 to replace the batteries. This is sure not something a dealer will ever bring up and apparently it’s something not many EV buyers think about. I can’t help but think if this number was better known by potential buyers EV sales wouldn’t be where they are especially with the larger vehicles with bigger batteries.

Pretty interesting info in the article.

https://**************/ram-1500-revs-229-kwh-battery-could-cost-25k-to-replace/

NETim

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Just about the time you think you're going to break even on fossil fuel prices, BAM! Battery replacement. Of course, the crazy people in DC, who think we're made of money, could always work to make fuel even more expensive.

And they probably will.

Eventually $25K for batteries will seem cheap.

NCRaineman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The average vehicle on American roads is 12.5 years old, and that number gets a little higher every year thanks to the ongoing govt war on the middle class.

The average EV battery only lasts ten years.

I'll let you do the math there, but the answer is yet another reason why EVs don't make sense for most drivers.

zrock

Reaction score
EV'S do not make sense for most people.. by the time you figure battery pricing and other failures that have not been seen yet, proper power to operate your charging station. It turns out more expensive that any fuel veh. Not to mention the costs we do not see like shipping and disposal of the old battery. I find it quite funny that city/town's have purchased these veh for their city workers in some places and they never move..

OP
OP
JerryETX

JerryETX

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 2500
Engine
Hemi 6.4- 3:73- 6 Speed
The average vehicle on American roads is 12.5 years old, and that number gets a little higher every year thanks to the ongoing govt war on the middle class.

The average EV battery only lasts ten years.

I'll let you do the math there, but the answer is yet another reason why EVs don't make sense for most drivers.
I’ve been scratching my head for a while now on EV’s mostly on the larger SUV’s and trucks. The costs combined with what it takes to drive one like a truck (charging time and frequency) just doesn’t come close to making sense to me.

Swezey23

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Newer technology brings newer problems to solve.

Just because there isn't an apparent solution to you or others, doesn't mean one isn't already known or in the works.

Lsujker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
People know this. Why depreciation is so high. Nothing new. A full electric vehicle is a good option for some but would consider a lease or short term ownership. People won’t be restoring teslas like 69 chargers years from now.

markabby

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
i'd never buy any EV, i would only lease it. Let the dealer deal with all the problems.

more importantly, never EVER buy a used one from anyone.