3 Rugged Ridge Off Road lamps on my Bullbar

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MYMISSIONISFISHIN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Hoping someone can kind of put my mind to ease, here. I have (3) 100W Driving lights on the front of my '14 Ram. Originally it was just the 2 and my 30A switch was fine running both lights but wanted to add more lighting and love the looks of the 3 lights across the front on my Bullbar, so decided to add the 3rd light. The shop that installed the 3rd light, which he spliced it into the existing wiring harness and said he did a load test and everything and with the extra light, the extra draw/load was only like 4A. Thought I read where a 100W Halogen bulb draws approx. 8A, so I figured 8X3 = 24A. The switch is rated for 30A. So, I should be good, correct? He left them on for like a half hour when he did the install, and found nothing heating up or getting hot. Only thing he told me he did was change the 10A fuse to a 20A fuse, that was it. Should I stop worrying about it, now?IMG_1412.JPG

McBroom

U.S.Marine Veteran Retired 88-2000
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
Hoping someone can kind of put my mind to ease, here. I have (3) 100W Driving lights on the front of my '14 Ram. Originally it was just the 2 and my 30A switch was fine running both lights but wanted to add more lighting and love the looks of the 3 lights across the front on my Bullbar, so decided to add the 3rd light. The shop that installed the 3rd light, which he spliced it into the existing wiring harness and said he did a load test and everything and with the extra light, the extra draw/load was only like 4A. Thought I read where a 100W Halogen bulb draws approx. 8A, so I figured 8X3 = 24A. The switch is rated for 30A. So, I should be good, correct? He left them on for like a half hour when he did the install, and found nothing heating up or getting hot. Only thing he told me he did was change the 10A fuse to a 20A fuse, that was it. Should I stop worrying about it, now?View attachment 158095

That looks badass I’m hunting for a set to go where the tow hooks should be. I want as many lumens as possible in as small a package as possible. As I plan on putting a 12K or 15K(if it’ll fit) winch behind the bumper and a level wind on it too with the fair lead behind the license plate.
A 9K portable winch that’d slide into the receiver hitch is planned too.

I love my truck!
Blue Mule 18 Ram 4x4 C/C
Tradesman Power Wagon

OP
OP
MYMISSIONISFISHIN

MYMISSIONISFISHIN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Check out youtube. I recall seeing a video on an install on a Ram with the lights going where the tow hooks would have been. Yeah, I love the LQQKS of the front of my truck. Just have to adjust the pass side light, more towards that side and then adjust the middle one to fill the void between the other 2.

TatertotScott

The man, the myth, the legend, the one and only!
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Keep in mind that IF thry are 100 watts, which is very often not 100% accurate..... they would be so at alternator voltage....

100 watts / 14 volts (+/-) = 7 amperes load.

7 amps * 3 lights = 21 amps plus resistance draw of the switch, wiring, etc.

Add in the instance draw o up to 30% and you are around 28 amps for a couple seconds at most.

You are good to go.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

OP
OP
MYMISSIONISFISHIN

MYMISSIONISFISHIN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Like I said, he did a load test plus turned them on after the install for like half an hour and had no issues and nothing heated up after that. Plus the last 2 mornings, I ran them for prob 45 mins on my way to work and they were fine. I am just very leary when it comes to wiring and etc as it would not look good if my truck caught fire because of them. The shop that did the wiring right from the beginning, starting with just the 2 lights and then added the 3rd light is a very reputable shop and does all kinds of mods and etc. He takes pride in what he does and does it right the first time. He only charged me $30 to add the 3rd light into the harness. He has done my remote starter, my wifes remote starter and stands behind his work, 100%.

sbarron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
You should be fine, but that's the reason I add additional circuits and relays to my stuff.

Badger 13

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I get the impression there is NO relay's used with this set up, just a switch ?

OP
OP
MYMISSIONISFISHIN

MYMISSIONISFISHIN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
NO, theres a relay. I bought a wiring harness on Ebay which came with a Relay, fuse and etc. My concern was the harness and etc was for 2 lights and adding the 3rd light to it, I wasn't sure if the 30A Relay/Fuse etc was enough.

Badger 13

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
With that set up it sounds like you should not have any problems, especially since your shop takes pride in their work.