32 Gallon Fuel Tank??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Northshoremb

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yes like Eagle ^^^^^ says. They didn't want to spend the money to put in a proper fuel gauge so they kept same one as smaller tank and just call it reserve....lol. I can guarantee that the smaller tank has no reserve and when the mileage counts down she will be empty

14GraniteSport

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
To my knowledge the larger tank is longer rather than deeper so I doubt it was a matter of cheaping out on a sending unit. In my opinion setting it up with a good reserve is a great idea, I don't even like to run my truck below 1/4 tank. When I have to, sure but if I can avoid it I wont. For one, the fuel is what keeps the pump cool and even though the fuel pump has a shroud around it that retains some fuel it stands to reason that limited amount can get warm/hot and therefore hotter pump and reduced life. And two, don't run them dry! The fuel also lubricates the pump and injectors and running completely out of fuel wreaks havoc on em. Surprised to hear a Ram tech did it on purpose, I feel he should know better.

Northshoremb

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
6th tank of gas and still after miles left countdown disappears and light comes on only get 26-28 gallons. Tank does have 32 gallon sticker so lots of reserve left

Quint

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Big Horn 1500
Engine
5.7L v8 eTorque
I guess that I was cutting it a little close today. I felt like Kramer in that Seinfeld episode driving on Empty well past the safe zone. Regardless, I got 31.5 gallons in the tank this morning. Felt good
IMG_2825_zpsioyjpry1.jpg

Squidbilly

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I guess that I was cutting it a little close today. I felt like Kramer in that Seinfeld episode driving on Empty well past the safe zone. Regardless, I got 31.5 gallons in the tank this morning. Felt good
IMG_2825_zpsioyjpry1.jpg

Holy crap! That is cutting it close.

EagleChief

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Whew!! Just seeing that made me sweat a little! :D

Squidbilly

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yes like Eagle ^^^^^ says. They didn't want to spend the money to put in a proper fuel gauge so they kept same one as smaller tank and just call it reserve....lol. I can guarantee that the smaller tank has no reserve and when the mileage counts down she will be empty

My light comes on and I can usually put in 21 to 22 gallons, I believe the DTE is around 50 so I probably got 1-2 gallons of the 26 as reserve after I'm 0'd out on the DTE (maybe 3, I'll have to pay more attention next fill up).

Quint

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Big Horn 1500
Engine
5.7L v8 eTorque
I don't think that I've filled up yet when the light came on. I must get a kick out of seeing how many gallons I can pour into her each time. The bigger the better. This habit will bite me sometime.

blackbetty14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT/Etorque
Its common to have a 3 gallon reserve after 0 miles or the gauge shows empty. OEM does this as people like to run the tank down to E and if there wasn't extra people would Be getting stuck and out of gas. Think of It as a safety margin.

OP
OP
CMil527

CMil527

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 RAM 1500 LARAMIE-CC
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Its common to have a 3 gallon reserve after 0 miles or the gauge shows empty. OEM does this as people like to run the tank down to E and if there wasn't extra people would Be getting stuck and out of gas. Think of It as a safety margin.

which we are all accustomed too but but a 6 gallon reserve is a bit much..

Quint

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Big Horn 1500
Engine
5.7L v8 eTorque
Agreed - 32 gallons isn't a bit much but not allowing the truck to recognize a full six gallons is too much but manageable