33's vs 35's........pros and cons?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WhySoSerious

Reaction score
Ram Year
Not Yet
Engine
To Be Announced
How much of a lift do you need to fit 33's? What about to fit 35's?

What is the ride quality like as opposed to regular stock tires? Is it that much worse? And I know fuel economy must suffer a little bit right?

Any drawbacks to having bigger tires? Any pluses (besides looks, of course).

triangleman29

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Dude..... There are plenty of subjects on this already.. Use your search engine.. It's a wonderful tool. I have 35"s I get worse gas millage then the stock 33's cause they are BIGGER and weight more....... Ride quality is like stock on my truck......... The pluses of having bigger tires is it will give you more clearance... Gezzzzz

OP
OP
W

WhySoSerious

Reaction score
Ram Year
Not Yet
Engine
To Be Announced
Dude..... There are plenty of subjects on this already.. Use your search engine.. It's a wonderful tool. I have 35"s I get worse gas millage then the stock 33's cause they are BIGGER and weight more....... Ride quality is like stock on my truck......... The pluses of having bigger tires is it will give you more clearance... Gezzzzz

:boxing:

reefguy89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
we need more info like what truck. 2wd vs. 4wd, 1500 vs. 2500, 4th gen vs. 3rd gen. Each one is going to be differant.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Unless you have a solid axle, your steering components wear out a lot quicker with every rise in tire height. Ride is worse, gas is more, tires cost more, brake wear or even stopping ability is effected, etc etc. The major upside is they are needed to get you through the mud or over the rocks. Be honest with yourself, do you wheel hard? 33's are very respectful for most mall machines or soccer dad weekend trips to the snow. 35's aren't too much of a change, but unless you have a diesel you will notice the lag, the wider turns, and noise over 33's. The low end torque with a diesel with the right gear really get big tires moving without even trying. Maybe even the Hemi will too, but again if you have the other engine options I doubt you would like 35's for everyday. My Hemi stock gear is a ***** when it comes to moving a big tire, if I was to get some I would change the gear to a 4:10 or 4:56.

OP
OP
W

WhySoSerious

Reaction score
Ram Year
Not Yet
Engine
To Be Announced
Unless you have a solid axle, your steering components wear out a lot quicker with every rise in tire height. Ride is worse, gas is more, tires cost more, brake wear or even stopping ability is effected, etc etc. The major upside is they are needed to get you through the mud or over the rocks. Be honest with yourself, do you wheel hard? 33's are very respectful for most mall machines or soccer dad weekend trips to the snow. 35's aren't too much of a change, but unless you have a diesel you will notice the lag, the wider turns, and noise over 33's. The low end torque with a diesel with the right gear really get big tires moving without even trying. Maybe even the Hemi will too, but again if you have the other engine options I doubt you would like 35's for everyday. My Hemi stock gear is a ***** when it comes to moving a big tire, if I was to get some I would change the gear to a 4:10 or 4:56.

Well thank you for the helpful answer. Also thank you for not poking fun at me for asking such an "elementary level question".

I was sure wrong about this place. There are a lot of good, helpful people here but I think it's time for me to go. I overstayed my welcome.

2K10HemiRam

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Hometown: Tacoma, WA Stationed: Alamogordo NM
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
How much of a lift do you need to fit 33's? What about to fit 35's?

What is the ride quality like as opposed to regular stock tires? Is it that much worse? And I know fuel economy must suffer a little bit right?

Any drawbacks to having bigger tires? Any pluses (besides looks, of course).

I'm pretty sure all trucks come stock with 33" tire's but to get 35's under your truck usually just requires a leveling kit and if you're changing the wheel at the same time, a proper offset and those. No idea what the off set should be because I believe it varies form wheel to wheel.

Stock tires are usually all season street tires so if you go to any A/T or mud tires, the ride quality and noise will change, usually get worse. Fuel economy will suffer some because you are spinning more rubber which means more weight but you're looking at maybe a -0.5 to -0.75 mpg change at most I want to say.

Drawback...slightly wider turns maybe? I didn't really notice any change with mine I believe, and a very slight hit on fuel economy and power to the wheels. The big change is being able to spin tires because again, the trucks come with street tires and if you're going 35's that means you're most likely going with a off road tire which adds weight and they grip the road pretty good. I'd spin my stock tires fairly easy pretty often out here, not on purpose most of the time, and when I went to my 35 A/T's, they've been harder to spin and I can't spin them for as long.

infernoredram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
I had an 07 4x4 1500 with 35" Nitto Trail Grapplers. All I had was a 2.5" level and had no rubbing. I saw my MPG's suffer when doing city driving, but didn't see too much of a difference on the highway. I really liked the stuffed wheel well look lol

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
2500s can fit 35s stock, there will be rubbing on the lower control arm with or with out a leveling kit and the stock wheels
You would need +2" if you had an aftermarket wheel with a 5" BS or less since it will rub on the lower fender

paulycoppola5

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you want a bada** looking truck slap the 35"s on with an aftermarket wheel and do a leveling kit... Be ready to spend big bucks on rubber each and every time you buy it, you will notice a decrease in fuel economy and turning into parking spots, navigating tight areas, etc.. will slightly change.

If you don't ever go offroading or drive in any severe snow conditions, before pulling the trigger, ask yourself if the extra money all around the is board worth it?

Don't forget if you aren't mechanically inclined you'll be paying for install on your leveling kit, you'll have to program your computer's speedo to match your new tire size, and you'll have to setup your tpms system again unless you want to stare at the error messages.

To me, it's worth it...to most, it isn't.

triangleman29

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
yeah 35" tires can be a bit pricey. Mine are Cooper STT's, they are a 10ply e-rated tire and I got them from discount tire for $280 a piece. I really like them they are really quiet on the road and from what I have researched they have a pretty good reputation for lasting awhile.

I've had them on some pretty rough stuff here in Colorado I've driven in snow, mud, rain and of course dirt roads and they have performed really great! Out of all the aggressive offroad tires I had owned and I have owned a bunch of them these so far are the best I have owned... IMO