3in lift kit? Need help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LS5DodgeRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L v8
Hey all you lift guys, have a few questions...

As of right now I am stock suspension... and I have a horrible and embarrassing squeak and I don't know what it is. So I'm probably going to be replacing my upper and lower control arm, and the bushings for them. Any other parts you recommend that may be it?

Now for the main part of my question.
If I am going to be take apart the suspension... I am considering a lift. I have a 04 2wd standard cab. I am looking at the rough country 3 in suspension lift kit, I am curious to see if any of you guys have a 3 in kit (doesnt matter the brand) preferably a standard cab, and can show a pic here.

Questions:
Has any one used rough country before?
How is their quality?
Smooth ride?
Is there anything about this kit/company/size of lift I need to know about?

Any answers or pictures will help!!
Sorry for all the questions, thank in advance!
Chris

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
The only complaint I've heard about it is that it leaves the upper ball joint on a pretty harsh angle

Bigboytoys

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 QC 5spd
Engine
4.7L
I have the RC 3" kit and am very happy with it, except that I want to go higher, so I am planning on getting a 3" spindle lift.
photo5-1-1.jpg

OP
OP
LS5DodgeRam

LS5DodgeRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L v8
I have the RC 3" kit and am very happy with it, except that I want to go higher, so I am planning on getting a 3" spindle lift.
photo5-1-1.jpg

nice truck! i have the bullbar as well so thats perfect, i like how it is leveled. what is your opinion on the balljoin angle? do you agree with Stangshcky12?

OP
OP
LS5DodgeRam

LS5DodgeRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L v8
do you know of any way to fix it? it looks like the ball joint screws in... is there anyway to put a "spacer" or a few washers on the ball joint bolt on top of the knuckle? if so do you think this would affect safety? will it affect to any degree the allignment process?

Bigboytoys

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 QC 5spd
Engine
4.7L
Honestly, never really thought about it. It drives just fine! Upper ball joints are the only ones at angles, and would require the entire control arm to be swapped out.

OP
OP
LS5DodgeRam

LS5DodgeRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L v8
yeah I going to do an entire front end rebuild, upper and lower control arms and bushings hopefully it wont be a problem down the road

OP
OP
LS5DodgeRam

LS5DodgeRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L v8
Damn I might have to get those... Only thing.is its 160 more than the moog controll arms I was gunna get

ZakkBaker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
I also have a 3" lift, by Rough Country. Yeah, puts the upper ball joints at a pretty bad angle. I just have mine replaced in November and they already busted again in 3-4 months..... So ill be replacing those here soon. I'm not sure if this is because of the angle or b/c I was riding it real rough offroad, guess Ill figure that out next time they get replaced. I also want to go higher, and am about to get a 6" RC. The rough country shocks that are provided ride HARD, they suck!! I didnt upgrade to the Nitro 9000 for an extra $100 (so I have the Hydro 8000) but I heard those suck too. I would suggest buying better shocks, or just testing it out first, and replacing later.

I can upload some pics of the arm and my truck later if you would like.

Bigboytoys

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 QC 5spd
Engine
4.7L
Zakk...intresting as I have the same setup and have not noticed a rough ride...of course I haven't taken mine off-roading yet...

ZakkBaker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Oh that may be why bigboy. I suppose on the streets it rides alright. I didn't notice a difference from stock, but Offroad it beats me up lol! But it's also super rocky and bumpy up here, so. I wonder if the shocks are like locking up or something. Or can they even do that.

Alright LS5, Ill do that for ya tomorrow. In class today, and it's to dark out now lol.

OP
OP
LS5DodgeRam

LS5DodgeRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L v8
BigBoy, what shocks are you running on your lift? the nitro 9000 or the hydro 8000? i looked online and on rough country's website... the upgrade to nitro is only $25, just curious to see if you think it is worth the extra $25?

ZakkBaker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Yeah I would do some research on those LS5, and make your best judgement. I've heard from others that those shocks suck as well. Its only an extra hundred though if you decide to go that way. What are you going to be using the truck for, strictly street or offroading? If its street the 8000's would probably do fine. I may be am just being to crucial of them :D I personally am just not satisfied with them. Theyre just are like a cheap mass produced chinese shock, Ive heard. Ill probably be swapping them out when I get some money within the year.

Bigboytoys

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 QC 5spd
Engine
4.7L
I have the same ones as Zakk. The Hydros. The only issue that I have is that I have chatter over bumps, but I think that is due to bushings being worn.

OP
OP
LS5DodgeRam

LS5DodgeRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L v8
alright, so my dad got mad at me for bringing up the idea of replacing the entire front end... "you will be spending more than the truck is worth and the shop... blah blah blah..."

After arguing with him and finding a video, or how to replace the shock, upper control arm and lower ball joint, he finally started siding with me. And he finally realized that I am very capable of doing this at home, and saving $1,500 on installation.

After he got on my side, I asked what is the max amount of lift he will let me do, and he said he will let me do a 6in suspension kit! This is the kit that I have wanted for a while. But he would only let me get it done at a shop... now seeing how easy it could be to do it at home, he will let me do the 6in, since I get to save money!

Thanks for all your help guys I do appreciate it!

OP
OP
LS5DodgeRam

LS5DodgeRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L v8
Zakk, I am only doing street, I cant go mudding, it is a 2wd truck.

Also, why is it that you say you need to pay an extra $100? I am looking online on rough country's website and it says the upgrade to nitro 9000 is $25 for one kit