4.7l burning some oil

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LS5DodgeRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L v8
Hey guys it's been a long time since I've posted and a lot had changed on the truck. But I'll have to post another time.

I'm having an issue with my motor burning some oil. A significant oil smell at start up and not so much as it warms up but it still is present. Now it isn't burning oil to the point that I see smoke coming out of the exhaust but enough to start adding a quart quicker than usual.

I work at an auto parts store so I pick up an pcv valve really cheap so I either way this will be changed. Any thought on what else to adress? My coworker recommended valve cover gaskets but i do not smell oil from under the hood but rather only out of the exhaust.
Any help is appreciated as always :)

Thanks,
Chris

jwheeler

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Don't just sniff around. You need to get under there and look. See if there are any leaks. What is quicker than usual? How many miles does it take to use 1 quart of oil?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
LS5DodgeRam

LS5DodgeRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L v8
My mileage is off so it wouldn't help but usually like 1 quart almost 2 months but now almost a month in between. It is colder in orlando that it is where I live though so that definitely doesn't help on cold starts. Also I have checked under the hood and I can't see any oil leaks under the valve covers

Notsobroke

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Mine eats a quart every 1500-1700 miles. not sure if its normal or not. It gives me a reason to look under the hood