4 Hi on Dry Pavement. Now have Issue.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bassslayer25

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 360 V8
Long story short, I am trying to sell my truck. Met a guy so he could look it over and test drive it etc. Decided to let him drive and see what he thought. Decided he wanted to test the 4x4. I figured he was just going to engage 4hi and then turn a little and feel it start to hop and then be done. Next thing I know hes whipping sharp turns around neighborhoods and continues to do this for the next minute or so.

I couldnt tell him quick enough to stop and that it was going to screw something up. Anyway, we got done and I drove it back home. Now, a week later, its been making a "clank, clank, clank" sound around turns. I can feel it on the floorboard when it does it as well. I checked the u-joints in the axles and the "seemed" okay. Not to say that they are though.

My main question is, what could have gotten screwed up when this guy did this? T-Case? Front driveshaft? Front Diff? Keep in mind that this truck has 207,000 miles on it so even though it was only for a minute, im afraid that he screwed something up regardless.

Thanks in advance.

ms8091

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L
The first thing I would do is jack up the front end and spin the wheels, grab the top and bottom of the tire and rock it to look for play as well as checking for any play in the ujoints. Thats where it sounds like this would come from, somewhere in the hub/joint area.

OP
OP
bassslayer25

bassslayer25

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 360 V8
Yeah I did that yesterday and spinning the wheels did not make any sound/grinding etc. I checked the U joints and they seamed okay. I did the top/bottom of the tire test and it was solid. However, with the truck on the ground, when I rock the truck from side to side the wheels seam to almost "pop" in and out. If that makes sense.

ms8091

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L
To me, that sounds like an issue with the hub itself. If the hub is working properly, there would be very little play when rocking the truck or pushing the front end.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk