4 Low Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Magnum5.9

Reaction score
Ram Year
01 ram 1500 4x4
Engine
Magnum 5.9
Yesterday was the first time I put the truck in 4 hi and 4 low since getting the new trans installed( 3 months and 2000 miles ago).

Truck goes into 4 hi no problem and back into 2 high no problem but once I try to put it into 4 lo it grinds. I barely attempted getting it into 4low and didn't force it but it grinded. I finally got it in 4 low with minimal grinding but then when I put it back into 2 high it clunked in( no grinding but audible and feelable clunk) but then came out into N as if it was not fully in 2H so I put it back in 2H, clunked back in and then it stayed.

All of the shifting from 2H, 4H and 4L were made while the truck shifter was in N and the truck not moving.

Before the new trans, there was no clunking or grinding in 4H,4L or 2H.

Would call the trans guys but they are closed today.

What do you guys think that's going on?

SilverStreak88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Eco Gasser
When you shift into 4low (this being that you've done it many times before), you have it in neutral, but are you holding the brake? You should be off the brake so it can roll a bit for the gears to mesh together. I know on my 07 with it being a 4 mode transfer case (not that it matters), but if I hold the brake while in neutral and shifting to 4low it will not engage until I release the brake - it then rolls a bit and locks in. I would definitely contact your trans shop - maybe the shifter linkage needs a little adjustment. I would think after he rebuilt the trans that he would have checked his work as in all gears, transfer case shifting properly?

OP
OP
M

Magnum5.9

Reaction score
Ram Year
01 ram 1500 4x4
Engine
Magnum 5.9
I was holding the brake every time I changed from 2H, 4H and 4L because every time I was on either a slight decline or incline and didn't want the truck to roll.

When you tried to changed it into 4L with your brake on, would it grind?

It's a remanufactured trans with a 3 yr warranty so I will be contacting them tomorrow

Crocdocs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
360 5.9
Every truck or suv that has a transfercase with LOW and HIGH needs to be moving slightly in neutral 1-3mph for it to engage properly

OP
OP
M

Magnum5.9

Reaction score
Ram Year
01 ram 1500 4x4
Engine
Magnum 5.9
Every truck or suv that has a transfercase with LOW and HIGH needs to be moving slightly in neutral 1-3mph for it to engage properly

Even when changing into 4H or 2H?

BlackMagnum2000

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
I had many problems with going into 4L when the vacuum lines from the X case to the front axle were partially compromised.

Crocdocs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
360 5.9
Even when changing into 4H or 2H?

Going between 4hi and 2hi is no problem becuase that just engages the front axle doesn't change any gearing so it's usually really smooth and you can even be goin upwards of 30mph on most vehicles although I wouldn't do it lol. But switching into or out of the LOW range to a HIGH range no matter if it's 2hi or 4hi you have to be in neutral and moving 1-3mph
Becuase of the significant different gear ratio your changing into

KyleW2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2008 Ram 1500
Engine
I never use 4 hi. My 4 low however, I use all the time and if I'm just going through thick dirt/light mud I never activate it till I spin in 2wd. So, when I shift into 4low my truck is always at a stop. It only grinds if I stop half way and not shift all the way through from 2H to 4L. It always activates and I get out of what I was stuck in. Happened last night matter of fact. I've never been moving 1-3 mph when shifting and it's always activated for me. Hope you figure out what your problem is

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
How to shift your truck into 4h or 4l is in the fsm. People might want to read it over. Heck it's on the back of the sun visor as well.

OP
OP
M

Magnum5.9

Reaction score
Ram Year
01 ram 1500 4x4
Engine
Magnum 5.9
I never use 4 hi. My 4 low however, I use all the time and if I'm just going through thick dirt/light mud I never activate it till I spin in 2wd. So, when I shift into 4low my truck is always at a stop. It only grinds if I stop half way and not shift all the way through from 2H to 4L. It always activates and I get out of what I was stuck in. Happened last night matter of fact. I've never been moving 1-3 mph when shifting and it's always activated for me. Hope you figure out what your problem is

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That may be my problem, I have always stopped in N in the transfer case before trying for 4L. I'll have to give it a try

OP
OP
M

Magnum5.9

Reaction score
Ram Year
01 ram 1500 4x4
Engine
Magnum 5.9
How to shift your truck into 4h or 4l is in the fsm. People might want to read it over. Heck it's on the back of the sun visor as well.

Sorry for the idiotic question, just trying to figure out if it's me not shifting into 4L correctly or if the new trans has some small issue going on

Crocdocs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
360 5.9
You shift it all the way, don't stop and yea my truck will come in and out even if I'm not moving but sometimes it doesn't like to go all the way in and it you can't tell till you put it in gear and it wil grind and pop out that's why I always like to be movin slow so I can feel it lock in

OP
OP
M

Magnum5.9

Reaction score
Ram Year
01 ram 1500 4x4
Engine
Magnum 5.9
Had a chance to try out 4low again. This time I was moving about 2mph, didn't stop in transfer case N and it slid into 4L no problem!

Sorry for wasting your guys time! Thanks for the help!