4" Rough Country Lift?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

xrsman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Ecodiesel
Tisk, tisk... you poor Canadians, always paying out the ass. I can get both Bils and the spring compressor tool for $250.

We really are lol. I was talking about having a shop do the install though. Just looked up the parts, looks like about $329 for parts alone! (including spring compressor)

SilverStreak88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Eco Gasser
We really are lol. I was talking about having a shop do the install though. Just looked up the parts, looks like about $329 for parts alone! (including spring compressor)

For you or me? I can get the compressor for $50... Craftsman lifetime warranty.

xrsman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Ecodiesel
For you or me? I can get the compressor for $50... Craftsman lifetime warranty.
For me lol. 4 wheel parts canada is $121 on each shock, and Amazon is $49 for the spring compressor. Plus tax comes out to $329. If only our dollars were at par lol

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

SilverStreak88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Eco Gasser
For me lol. 4 wheel parts canada is $121 on each shock, and Amazon is $49 for the spring compressor. Plus tax comes out to $329. If only our dollars were at par lol

You can pick up the Bils on Amazon as well, that's where I'm going to get mine. I don't deal with 4WP because they do extremely shotty work. I wish i would have gotten a picture of my buddies Magnaflow kit they put on his Silverado... they used steel wire to hang the tail pipes on either side of the spare tire.

Edit: Forgot to add that my dad had another location put some Ranchos on his Sierra and they left the control arm bolt loose on one side and it blew the shock out.

Last edited:

xrsman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Ecodiesel
You can pick up the Bils on Amazon as well, that's where I'm going to get mine. I don't deal with 4WP because they do extremely shotty work. I wish i would have gotten a picture of my buddies Magnaflow kit they put on his Silverado... they used steel wire to hang the tail pipes on either side of the spare tire.

Edit: Forgot to add that my dad had another location put some Ranchos on his Sierra and they left the control arm bolt loose on one side and it blew the shock out.
Yes, but on the Canadian amazon they're $30 more per shock! Which is odd because amazon is usually cheaper

Rzrman328

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If I were to do it over, would I go a different route? More than likely, but no sense talking about it now. A lot of people running their kits with zero issues. And it's not like the thing was $200. The biggest complaints seem to be the finish and the fact they now run spacers in the rear (which I've replaced with coils anyway).

As one of the few on here running an RCX kit....your statement seems pretty spot on.

I have had ZERO issues from my kit.

The ride is a lil harsh but it's a lifted truck on 37's....to be expected

My biggest complaint would definitely be the finish/quality.

And for the price difference I would probably go with a zone/bds if I were to do it again.

OP
OP
S

smoothee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So got another chance to **** around with this today. With tires off the ground no play in the tie rods, but did have some play on the driver side top to bottom. So was thinking ball joint was shot. But then I noticed a clank/rattle if I tap the strut assembly and what looks the top of the Bilstein through the strut spacer. I'm assuming that isn't normal, as the passenger side isn't like it. Will have a better look again tomorrow hopefully.

*top picture is driver side

Attachments

• 20151127_160754.jpg
    20151127_160754.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 74
  • 20151127_160834.jpg
    20151127_160834.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 81
OP
OP
S

smoothee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Do you offroad it pretty hard?

No man, not at all. Definition of pavement princess pretty much. The roads around here can be pretty ****** though. Weird because everything else looks mint.

I didn't have the tools/space to install these myself at the time so maybe just a bad install hopefully...

Edit: I'm assuming I don't need a spring compressor just to pull the strut and take a look?

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

smoothee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Lower strut bushing replacement?

Another little update here. Ran into the dreaded lower strut bolt being seized to the bushing sleeve (gotta love east coast winters). Managed to remove the nut, but the bolt isn't budging. It just wants to turn the rubber. Soaked with plenty PB, hit it with a little heat, sledge, taking potential strain off with jack, etc., no dice!

So what I'm wondering is have any of you guys replaced the bushing in these 4th Gens? If so, where did you get em? I don't remember if the Bilstein's up front come with them or not? Or a trip to the dealer?

Just would like to have something lined up before I cut the bolt and beat the **** out to the bushing tomorrow. This is turning into quite the project!

ramrunner56

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Another little update here. Ran into the dreaded lower strut bolt being seized to the bushing sleeve (gotta love east coast winters). Managed to remove the nut, but the bolt isn't budging. It just wants to turn the rubber. Soaked with plenty PB, hit it with a little heat, sledge, taking potential strain off with jack, etc., no dice!

So what I'm wondering is have any of you guys replaced the bushing in these 4th Gens? If so, where did you get em? I don't remember if the Bilstein's up front come with them or not? Or a trip to the dealer?

Just would like to have something lined up before I cut the bolt and beat the **** out to the bushing tomorrow. This is turning into quite the project!
I didn't do it myself, I had a local shop do it. I'm not sure, but I think they had problems with the same bolt you're talking about. I live in Nebraska so the winters get below 0 and the summers are pretty hot. The bolt was seized and it took them an extra 3 hours just on the bolt.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

OP
OP
S

smoothee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yeah it seems to be a common issue. Pretty ****** working in the driveway yesterday at - 16 too, but at least it's warmed up a bit today. I'm just going to get it out however I can, can't see not being able to get a replacement somewhere. Hopefully.

OP
OP
S

smoothee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Really need some input here guys. Got the stubborn ******* out today finally! Don't have access to a spring compressor at the moment, but hoping you guys can tell me if I need a new Bilstein or what, judging by the pictures. As you can see in a couple there the little retaining ring on top of the body has dislodged somehow. Causing it to overextend I'm assuming? And in the 2nd last picture, I'm assuming the bushing should've been pushed in further than it was? To be flush with the LCA. Like I said earlier, this is my only wheels at the moment so I'm trying to get this fixed asap. Any help/observations greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• 20151202_144459.jpg
    20151202_144459.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 37
  • 20151202_144553.jpg
    20151202_144553.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 38
  • 20151202_154115.jpg
    20151202_154115.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 51
  • 20151202_183619.jpg
    20151202_183619.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 36

brandonjansen

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram 3500 Laramie Limited
Engine
6.7 Cummins - Tuned and Deleted
Looks like the Bilstein is shot to me. The top end of it definitely shouldn't be off like that and I'm assuming it's lost all it's dampening function now that it is broken. I'd say you're getting at least one new Bilstein but I'd be checking out the other side very closely now to see how it's looking as well.

OP
OP
S

smoothee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey Brandon, thanks for confirming, appreciate it. The passenger side looks good as of now, everything still in place and no play. But I'll definitely keep an eye on it. I wonder what would cause this to happen? They aren't very old, although they look like an anchor.

brandonjansen

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram 3500 Laramie Limited
Engine
6.7 Cummins - Tuned and Deleted
I'm not really sure. I've never seen anyone have that issue with them before. Maybe a manufacturing defect? How long ago did you buy them? Would they still be covered under warranty?

OP
OP
S

smoothee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well it's been a couple of years I guess, but not a whole lot of mileage. And of course I can't find the receipt anyway. Should be able to get to a better look when I test out this spring compressor.

OP
OP
S

smoothee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
And I don't know why the **** Bilstein thought it was a good idea to put an Allen head on top of the shock! Thing is seized solid and I can't get any leverage on it. :greenchainsaw: