48re build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nick25010

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
Hey guys, so I just bought an '05 ram 2500 5.9 with a stock 48re. I'm putting a new lift pump and gauges on her soon and after that I'm looking to build my transmission considering the reputation they get. My question is what should I get done to it to bulletproof it and make it reliable? I'm not thinking of adding too much power later on, but maybe want it eventually to about 500hp. Any input would be greatly appreciated as I've never even thought about building a tranny before.

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Hey guys, so I just bought an '05 ram 2500 5.9 with a stock 48re. I'm putting a new lift pump and gauges on her soon and after that I'm looking to build my transmission considering the reputation they get. My question is what should I get done to it to bulletproof it and make it reliable? I'm not thinking of adding too much power later on, but maybe want it eventually to about 500hp. Any input would be greatly appreciated as I've never even thought about building a tranny before.
If you really want to "bulletproof" a 48RE here is a list of parts that I use..

Billet Triple Disc Torque Converter
SFI Approved Flexplate
Billet Input Shaft
Billet Intermediate Shaft
Billet Output Shaft
Billet Band Apply Levers
Billet Band Apply Struts
Kevlar Bands
Alto Red Eagle Clutches
Kolene Steels
Raybestos GPZ O/D Kit
Suncoast Governor Pressure Solenoid Kit
New TCC/OD Solenoids

There is some work that can be done to the valve body to increase pressures as well.