4th Gen Official Timeslip/Discussion Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nocturnalsst

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Surprised there are none listed for '14 or '15 rams. I'm interested to see how the 8 speeds do in the 1/4 with different mods

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Whipple Supercharged 422" Hemi
There are a lot of fast '14 Rams, but this list has not been updated in months. Our 2 fastest naturally aspirated 2014 customers ran 12.56 and 12.70 in the 1/4, and our fastest 2014 customer with nitrous ran a 12.10 in the 1/4.

The 8 speeds trucks can be very quick.

sicmadek

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 express qc
Engine
hemi 5.7
2014 qc 6 spd 3.92 greene racing tune 2800 stall jba lt's true duals air thad ram air 170 stat clutch fan delete no spare no tailgate

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 103

BigSloth

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 1500 CCSB Black Express
Engine
5.7 Hemi
There are a lot of fast '14 Rams, but this list has not been updated in months. Our 2 fastest naturally aspirated 2014 customers ran 12.56 and 12.70 in the 1/4, and our fastest 2014 customer with nitrous ran a 12.10 in the 1/4.

The 8 speeds trucks can be very quick.

Hell yeah they can be. I'm down to a 7.85 1/8 mile in a crew cab, but that's on my home track which is a little short, so I dont post times. I'm working all the bugs out then heading to a real track soon. I'm shooting for a 7.9x 1/8 and a 12.6x 1/4

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Whipple Supercharged 422" Hemi
12.367 @ 106.84 - 2011 1500 RCSB 2WD 5.7L - N/A - HEMI450HP - 10/17/15

12.36_zpsidnvue53.jpg

thad8403

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
14 ram crew cab 8 speed
13.19 @ 103

uploadfromtaptalk1445395088479.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Joshwaa

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 CC 4x4 Laramie AirRide
Engine
5.7 Hemi
14 ram crew cab 8 speed
13.19 @ 103

View attachment 59869

What mods do you have? 4x4?

I am wanting to take my stock 2016 Ram but I have not even put the 300 mile break in on it yet. Kinda odd for me driven 200mi so far and have never even put the gas past half way. I think I have only gone into Aero mode twice now. Gawd I hope I'm not getting old.

thad8403

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
What mods do you have? 4x4?

I am wanting to take my stock 2016 Ram but I have not even put the 300 mile break in on it yet. Kinda odd for me driven 200mi so far and have never even put the gas past half way. I think I have only gone into Aero mode twice now. Gawd I hope I'm not getting old.
I don't believe in the hole break in thing just drive it lol. My truck is 2wd.
Mods are:
Stock air box mod
Greene racing tune
Jba long tubes no cats
True duals dumped before the exhaust
170 thermostat
28" slicks
3.21 Gears with lsd

Dubstep Shep

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 R/T
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Mods are:
Stock air box mod
Greene racing tune
Jba long tubes no cats
170 thermostat
28" slicks
3.21 Gears with lsd

Well you're wrong about the break in lol.

There are two very important things you must do to any new engine.

One is to mate all your bearing surfaces and ensure that they aren't deformed or damaged. This is done by using a conventional oil high in zinc and phosphorous and keeping the engine well below redline. Usually this doesn't take very long.

The second is to mate your piston rings to your pistons and cylinder liners. This is done by varying the load and rpm on the engine, and can take several hundred miles.

GP4L

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

One is to mate all your bearing surfaces and ensure that they aren't deformed or damaged. This is done by using a conventional oil high in zinc and phosphorous and keeping the engine well below redline. Usually this doesn't take very long.

The second is to mate your piston rings to your pistons and cylinder liners. This is done by varying the load and rpm on the engine, and can take several hundred miles.

^^ Take this with a grain of salt.

Engine break in is one of THE most debated topics among professional engine builders, and it all comes down to what the new engine owner is instructed to do to not void whatever type of warranty they have to cover a possible craftsmanship quality issue.

In my decade of building race engines, I've seen all kinds of methods used to break an engine in, and I'll honestly say that with materials used today, and the quality of machining that's performed on components, there is no absolute.

Argue away all you want. :) :favorites13:

sicmadek

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 express qc
Engine
hemi 5.7
Mods are:
Stock air box mod
Greene racing tune
Jba long tubes no cats
170 thermostat
28" slicks
3.21 Gears with lsd

Dumped before the exhaust?

thad8403

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7

I know you're one to argue lol but I've owned 6 new vehicles and drove all of them the same. I bought my 2012 mustang on a Friday and went to the track Sunday. Far as I know that mustang is still hauling ass today. The same goes with my current truck lol

Dubstep Shep

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 R/T
Engine
5.7L Hemi
^^ Take this with a grain of salt.

Engine break in is one of THE most debated topics among professional engine builders, and it all comes down to what the new engine owner is instructed to do to not void whatever type of warranty they have to cover a possible craftsmanship quality issue.

In my decade of building race engines, I've seen all kinds of methods used to break an engine in, and I'll honestly say that with materials used today, and the quality of machining that's performed on components, there is no absolute.

Argue away all you want. :) :favorites13:
The exact procedure is debated, and really there are a lot of variables that will determine the proper procedure.

The need to mate mate wear surfaces and seat your rungs is not widely debated.

Dubstep Shep

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 R/T
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I know you're one to argue lol but I've owned 6 new vehicles and drove all of them the same. I bought my 2012 mustang on a Friday and went to the track Sunday. Far as I know that mustang is still hauling ass today. The same goes with my current truck lol

Good for you.

But no one said not breaking in the motor correctly would cause catastrophic failure. It can, in very rare circumstances, but it's unlikely.

Rather, not breaking in the motor correctly can cause it to produce less power, wear out prematurely, and have reduced efficiency. These are all likely.

thad8403

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Good for you.

But no one said not breaking in the motor correctly would cause catastrophic failure. It can, in very rare circumstances, but it's unlikely.

Rather, not breaking in the motor correctly can cause it to produce less power, wear out prematurely, and have reduced efficiency. These are all likely.
Buying a new vehicle is different then building an engine to break it in. How many miles did you have on your truck when you bought it?

Dubstep Shep

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 R/T
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Buying a new vehicle is different then building an engine to break it in. How many miles did you have on your truck when you bought it?

The engine is new in a new vehicle?

At most the factory started the vehicle and let it idle with some mild driving. That should take care of getting the wear surfaces mated to each other. The rings still need to be broken in on a new vehicle though.

And it had like four miles on it when I bought it.

thad8403

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
The engine is new in a new vehicle?

At most the factory started the vehicle and let it idle with some mild driving. That should take care of getting the wear surfaces mated to each other. The rings still need to be broken in on a new vehicle though.

And it had like four miles on it when I bought it.
I worked as a ford/Chrysler tech at a dealership for 10 years. I did predelivery inspections on new vehicles. First off we had to drive more than 4 miles on the inspection. Whenever you test drove your truck you can not tell me you didn't go WOT. Customers come in all the time and drive the **** out of those cars to see if it's what they want. I know your an engineer and I'm some dumb tech that doesn't know anything about cars :( lmao

Dubstep Shep

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 R/T
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I worked as a ford/Chrysler tech at a dealership for 10 years. I did predelivery inspections on new vehicles. First off we had to drive more than 4 miles on the inspection. Whenever you test drove your truck you can not tell me you didn't go WOT. Customers come in all the time and drive the **** out of those cars to see if it's what they want. I know your an engineer and I'm some dumb tech that doesn't know anything about cars :( lmao

1) I can't comment on how much they drove it on the inspection. The truck had four miles on it when I test drove it for the first time.

2) Going WOT isn't necessarily bad. To some extent, you need high load on and off to seat the rings. Some will say that means WOT, some will say slightly lower load. What you don't want to do is go WOT before your bearing surfaces are mated and broken in, but that can be done on the first startup.