4th Gen Remote start for under $100

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JohnD72

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
In my instructions, again not for 2013, there is a page labeled "parking light vehicle wiring reference chart" and says to splice the parking light wire on the dball to pin 1 on the black connector at the light switch, which is a white wire.

danmp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I haven't heard of anyone yet that has done this on a 14.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 3 (SM-N900V) via taptalk...

I will go to my local dealer to install the dball very soon on my 14.

I got my answer from "Directed" ( the manufacturer of the dball ) and they said that the dball for the 2013 ( not the same as the 2012 of before ) was compatible with the 2014.

danmp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Little update; They have sucessfully installed the dball kit on my 2014 truck. For not more than the price for the kit on internet. 212$ cdn installed.:rockit:

Thaylin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Do you know if it was plug in play with the correct 2014 wire harness, or did they splice into wires and make it work that way? Thanks for the update.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

danmp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
It was plug and play, but they add a switch inside the cab under the dash to diasable the remote start in case someone work under the hood.

Officially the 2014 harness doesn't exist, they use the 2013 harness.

Also I have 2 smart key, like all of you I guess, the 2 keys can start and stop the truck, but strangely , only one of them can lock and unlock the door when the truck is running. Otherwise you must use the key to open the doors.

Thaylin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yikes! Use a physical key! That's not even funny.

MusclezMarinara

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 Crew 1500
It was plug and play, but they add a switch inside the cab under the dash to diasable the remote start in case someone work under the hood.

Officially the 2014 harness doesn't exist, they use the 2013 harness.

Also I have 2 smart key, like all of you I guess, the 2 keys can start and stop the truck, but strangely , only one of them can lock and unlock the door when the truck is running. Otherwise you must use the key to open the doors.

Inaccurate I can most certainly do all functions both keys

Donelam304

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 6.4

OK. Questions here. Lol. Most likely dumb too. But anyway. I have 2 remote key fobs. And each has a key inside them for the doors and I have a key on each key ring that looks like a normal auto key. But none of the keys will start my truck. Only the fobs will. If the fobs go dead, Wth do we do. Lol.

danmp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I didn'y say I cannot use the function when the truck is running, I just said, that I can use the function with only one of the 2 fobs key. If I didn't have the "principal" fobs key, I must use a real key to unlock the door.

On the 2014 both fobs key can remote start the truck, but only one of them can unlock and lock the truck.

Thaylin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Is there a way to tell the fobs apart? I don't have the remote start yet, but don't know why there would be a difference in fobs.... Or is just because it was the first one you used to initiate the "pairing" with the dball?

thoss29

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 3500 "Black Top" Edition 6.4L
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So I'm about to order the kit off eBay but I'm a little confused by the directions. Does any part of this install require a dealer? One part of the instructions say "An XKLoader2 Gen2 Programming Tool (Flashtool) will be needed with access to a computer to do DBALL flashing". But opening the link to the instructions make it look like I can hook it up, cycle the key a few times, remove it, hook it to the laptop then reinstall... This is on a 2013. Thanks!

thoss29

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Before or after install? Or it doesn't matter? I already ordered it so I'm on the hook either way. Haha

Donelam304

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 6.4
After I think. You have to do it to wake up the camera. If you don't all you get is a blue screen.

thoss29

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If I wasn't confused before! Haha... I'm assuming we are talking about different installs at this point? I already have a camera, not needed for remote start correct?

Donelam304

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 6.4
Oops. Lol. Sorry. LoL. I'm a noob... You still have to get it flashed I think. I was reading a post about the back up camera when you replied and I mixed the 2 topics together. Lol

JohnD72

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If you're installing an aftermarket remote start, like the Expresskit, you do not have to have the truck re-flashed. The dealer has nothing to do with it. The kit for the 2013 comes with the XK loader and you do the programming.
This post was originally for 2009-12 models, but has been hijacked so many times, it's useless.
Since you have a '13, go here http://www.ramforum.com/f51/xpresskit_remote_start_2013_now_available-41263/
and see if these guys can clear up your concerns.