4WD dash light is on BUT my truck didn't come with 4WD.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Woob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L V8
I've got a Flame Red 2002 Ram 1500 2WD Quad-cab Sport with a 4.7L engine. I've had it since it was a baby. Since August 2002 to be exact. Just a handful of miles when I brought my little baby home. Now it has over 200,000 miles on it. I really like my truck. I even bought my 1 year old son a Flame Red Dodge Ram Power Wheel that same year. (We still have it as well but, the poor thing no longer works. The Power Wheel, not my son. He has a job now.) I haven't been on a forum for quite some time. I used to use dodgetrucks.org but it seems to be gone now.:( ANYWAY... The other day a strange thing happened. I started the truck and noticed a dashboard light on that I had never seen before. It says "4WD" and it is still on. BUT my truck doesn't have 4WD. So, of course, my question is WHY and HOW DO I MAKE IT GO AWAY? Thanks.

azcoyote

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Go to an O'Reilly and have them pull codes for free. Maybe that will tell you what you need. I assume you already checked the manual?

OP
OP
Woob

Woob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L V8
Thanks, azcoyote but... No codes to report and the only thing the manual says is that 4WD indicates that 4WD is working. And we all know that this is impossible on a truck that doesn't have 4 WHEEL DRIVE. Thanks for playing. Next caller, please.:driver:

azcoyote

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Good times. Is the truck stock btw? No playing around in AlphaODB or anything?

OP
OP
Woob

Woob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L V8
Yep. Completely stock. Nothing up my sleeves. Only thing I put on was a trailer hitch.

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Thanks, azcoyote but... No codes to report and the only thing the manual says is that 4WD indicates that 4WD is working. And we all know that this is impossible on a truck that doesn't have 4 WHEEL DRIVE. Thanks for playing. Next caller, please.:driver:
Don't be an ass, at least he tried to help you.

Is it the regular 4WD light as in 4WD engaged or the service 4WD light? It sounds like you may have stray voltage across the cluster, 2002's were first year and many have developed electrical gremlins over time.

Good times. Is the truck stock btw? No playing around in AlphaODB or anything?
Wouldn't matter, AlfaODB is for CAN bus vehicles. All 02-05 third gens are PCI bus.

Tim Garceau

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport Quad BSP
Engine
3.92 8 Speed 5.7 4X4
The switch sender on the transfer case is going bad, pretty common and replaced on my 2001 plow truck. Like $35

Last edited:

stimpy433

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It's a 20 year old beater, put a piece of electrical tape over it.

The switch sender on the transfer case is going bad, pretty common and replaced on my 2001 plow truck. Like $35

Might help to read before making stupid comments... his truck is 2wd so it doesn’t have a transfer case.

Tim Garceau

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport Quad BSP
Engine
3.92 8 Speed 5.7 4X4
Might help to read before making stupid comments... his truck is 2wd so it doesn’t have a transfer case.

You don't think the truck has a sender? How does his 4x4 light have voltage? Pulling I/Os out of thin air? Educate me, I was born post 1980 so it must be vacuum. hmmm

Last edited:
OP
OP
Woob

Woob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L V8
I don't think so.....… but...:favorites13:

OP
OP
Woob

Woob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L V8
Is it the regular 4WD light as in 4WD engaged or the service 4WD light? It sounds like you may have stray voltage across the cluster, 2002's were first year and many have developed electrical gremlins over time.
It's the regular 4WD engaged light.

MikeT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD
In the old days they had a male voice saying "A Door is A Jar". As a kid I often wondered how that could happen, never found the jar.

Mike

dexter

Banned
Reaction score
I've got a Flame Red 2002 Ram 1500 2WD Quad-cab Sport with a 4.7L engine. I've had it since it was a baby. Since August 2002 to be exact. Just a handful of miles when I brought my little baby home. Now it has over 200,000 miles on it. I really like my truck. I even bought my 1 year old son a Flame Red Dodge Ram Power Wheel that same year. (We still have it as well but, the poor thing no longer works. The Power Wheel, not my son. He has a job now.) I haven't been on a forum for quite some time. I used to use dodgetrucks.org but it seems to be gone now.:( ANYWAY... The other day a strange thing happened. I started the truck and noticed a dashboard light on that I had never seen before. It says "4WD" and it is still on. BUT my truck doesn't have 4WD. So, of course, my question is WHY and HOW DO I MAKE IT GO AWAY? Thanks.

A picture would help.

Is it possible the light is misaligned in the gauge cluster?

My guess would be that you have another error (not 4wd) and it is somehow showing as 4wd

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Has to be a wiring issue, but I wonder if something is crossed up and another light should be on or you've been off road a lot and the truck is telling you to upgrade. Any chance it dims with the cluster and something came off in there causing light bleed from somewhere else?