4x4 problem Ram 2013+ 8-speed 44-44 transfer case

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
1381545565211400_4237631057592940345_o_zpsfjitwc5i.jpg Im glad I have the 44-45 case in my Express.I wonder if the 44-44 would give me trouble when Im plowing.

How do you like that plow was looking at it the other day for Ram 1500. What size blade you can pm me so we don't completely hijack this thread.

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Of course, it would, probably better even. However, you should not be snow plowing with a 1/2 ton pickup.. even more so, one that specifically says not to. Shame on you! Hope you don't get your vin blacklisted :favorites13:

I would bet more people have plowed with a 1500 than 2500 and above until the last 10 to 15 years. They used to be how many many jobs got done. The 1500 is just fine for that size plow.

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Of course, it would, probably better even. However, you should not be snow plowing with a 1/2 ton pickup.. even more so, one that specifically says not to. Shame on you! Hope you don't get your vin blacklisted :favorites13:
Why? Why on earth would it "be even better"? If you read back to my posts from a couple years ago I actually had a chat with a borg warner engineer at an off road event about this transfer case and he said the warranty replacements were through the roof because of people plowing and just overall driving in the winter because it isn't remotely designed for that loading. The 44-45 on the other hand works just fine, just like transfer cases have for 50 years...

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

6.7CumminsDrvr

The Dude abides………
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Point being, transfer case engages. not broke.

Well, technically it shifts into low range and power is always being sent to the rear wheels regardless. The TRANSFERcase "engages" when it actually does what it's named for and that is TRANSFERRING power to the front drive wheels. Until that happens, ain't squat "engaged".

Since we're being technical and all:favorites13:

alpnst

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 1500 Spoert
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hi all,
New to the forum and this is my 1st post. I bought a 2014 Sport 4x4 in October of 2016 and we finally have some snow in Nashville that I can test out the four wheel drive. I read through this forum a bunch when I was deciding on a truck and was hoping that there were just a few trucks with bad 4x4 systems out there.

After this morning I have to agree with the people that say it is a joke. Light snow on the ground and my 4wd auto and 4wd lock act the same way. I have to spin the rear tires before the front will engage. My Grand Cherokee that I traded in to get this Ram was 10 times more capable in the snow. Hell, my wifes Nissan Rouge AWD is more capable then the Ram.

I love everything about this truck, but the lack of a true 4x4 system makes me want to trade it in. I don't feel I can even trust taking this thing into the woods now.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Point being, transfer case engages. not broke.
The gear reduction is on the input of the transfer case. There is power being delivered to the clutch that drives the front wheels. That clutch on the output to the front wheels is where the problem is.

Reactions: SyN

Billy V

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Rebel
Engine
Hemi 5.7
NEW To RAM --

Can anyone tell me what transfer case is in the 2017 Rebel --- it does not have the 4wd auto button just 4wd lock and 4wd low -- also what is the Anti spin rear differential ? Thanks in advance

clh1220

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Hi all,
New to the forum and this is my 1st post. I bought a 2014 Sport 4x4 in October of 2016 and we finally have some snow in Nashville that I can test out the four wheel drive. I read through this forum a bunch when I was deciding on a truck and was hoping that there were just a few trucks with bad 4x4 systems out there.

After this morning I have to agree with the people that say it is a joke. Light snow on the ground and my 4wd auto and 4wd lock act the same way. I have to spin the rear tires before the front will engage. My Grand Cherokee that I traded in to get this Ram was 10 times more capable in the snow. Hell, my wifes Nissan Rouge AWD is more capable then the Ram.

I love everything about this truck, but the lack of a true 4x4 system makes me want to trade it in. I don't feel I can even trust taking this thing into the woods now.

I would give it a little more time to get used to it. Did you get stuck? This case does work. For the most part it is almost instant. Unless you're rock crawling you should be ok. I'm on my third auto 4 wd and no problems. My 13 durango with AWD has no problems.

alpnst

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 1500 Spoert
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I would give it a little more time to get used to it. Did you get stuck? This case does work. For the most part it is almost instant. Unless you're rock crawling you should be ok. I'm on my third auto 4 wd and no problems. My 13 durango with AWD has no problems.

Didn't get stuck, but did not like the feel of it at all. I have a lot of little uphill intersections with stop signs. When trying to make a turn on an uphill from a stop sign i would get wheel spin and the truck would start to slide to the side before the fronts engaged. Not a good feeling. This never happened in my Grand Cherokee with the NV transfer case. I miss the feeling of having all 4 wheels locked.

6.7CumminsDrvr

The Dude abides………
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Didn't get stuck, but did not like the feel of it at all. I have a lot of little uphill intersections with stop signs. When trying to make a turn on an uphill from a stop sign i would get wheel spin and the truck would start to slide to the side before the fronts engaged. Not a good feeling. This never happened in my Grand Cherokee with the NV transfer case. I miss the feeling of having all 4 wheels locked.

Making a turn amplifies the "issue" as the abs wheel sensors are used to determine slippage..........so the inside front tire will be going faster all the while the "computer" is trying to figure out the difference front to rear, really stinks turning around or making a tight turn from a stop soft terrain (tcase emits wonderous sounds)

As stated, once you are familiar with the tcase and how it operates it will become more seamless, just have to be aware when venuturing far off the beaten path.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
^^^This. It takes a little getting used to the rear end being squirrelly for a second before the front wheels engage.

yillbs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

You were able to slide back end first with traction control on and in 4wd?

alpnst

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 1500 Spoert
Engine
5.7 Hemi
^^^This. It takes a little getting used to the rear end being squirrelly for a second before the front wheels engage.

I shouldn't have to get used to it. In 4wd lock it shouldn't get loose.

You were able to slide back end first with traction control on and in 4wd?

Yes sir. Sorry I don't have video proof, but on my way home tonight I found a snow covered side street and played in all 4wd modes. I am able to spin the rears in every mode except 4 Lo and that is only because the ratios are different and you start moving as soon as you let off the brake. So the clutch has already started engaging before you get on it.

VA10

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My question

I drive a rutted muddy, wet, loose rock road up a mountain to a hunting spot 3-4x on the weekend. When I put the truck in 4hiLOCK/4lo - once the rear wheels slip (with the accelerator pressed) does the BW 44-44 lock up until the truck comes to a complete stop?

I ask this because once my truck slips the rear wheels the fronts behave like a part time system (noises, and resistant steering). Even when my foot is off the gas (after the rears slipped while applying throttle.) but once I pressed the break and come to a complete stop it then feels like it requires slippage before it acts as 4x4 again.

If this is true which i need to test more / hear from other users. Would this technically allow RAM to say "lock" on the button? HAHA marketing these days is very technical.

I posted this in another ram forum. I am curious to see if anyone else feels this way...

WilliamS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Ill start by saying in the #1 fan of this transfer case, but that being said yours is a lot looser that it should be. Im not sure how the phrase that. The post under yours is true, in a turning situation it does exaggerate the case even more. Im one of the lucky ones where mine is hyper sensitive to a fault. If you are in 4-auto and you can get sideways before it kicks in I would be at Ram throwing tools and poo till someone fixed it.

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
My question

I drive a rutted muddy, wet, loose rock road up a mountain to a hunting spot 3-4x on the weekend. When I put the truck in 4hiLOCK/4lo - once the rear wheels slip (with the accelerator pressed) does the BW 44-44 lock up until the truck comes to a complete stop?

I ask this because once my truck slips the rear wheels the fronts behave like a part time system (noises, and resistant steering). Even when my foot is off the gas (after the rears slipped while applying throttle.) but once I pressed the break and come to a complete stop it then feels like it requires slippage before it acts as 4x4 again.

If this is true which i need to test more / hear from other users. Would this technically allow RAM to say "lock" on the button? HAHA marketing these days is very technical.

I posted this in another ram forum. I am curious to see if anyone else feels this way...
I know the one I had would unlock as soon as you let off the throttle. On the expressway I could let off and get on it again and it would slip for a second before reengaging.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk