4x4 problem Ram 2013+ 8-speed 44-44 transfer case

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Capitalis

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I want to thank all the helpful thread participants and the owners of this forum for all the information. I've been shopping 2014 1500's this week and kept hearing a strange noise while in 4WD auto.

The noise was much more pronounced and consistent on the Big Horn (48k miles) than the Laramie (26k miles) but both trucks exhibited this same behavior. This is my first experience with Ram but the sound was something that obviously shouldn't be there. The noise was present only while on the gas gently, usually between about 10-45mph max.

Of course the sales agent had no idea what the noise could be but did acknowledge the sound. He said he could not replicate the noise on brand new trucks. The particular dealer I visited refused to have a tech drive and look at it, which is unfortunate, and so I decided to seek out other options.

After reading through this thread, it seems to me that the noise I heard could be a burnt up clutch or motor. Have any of you experienced a slight noise while driving in 4wd auto at similar low speeds (this was on dry pavement).

I'm disappointed this is an issue and also disappointed that I won't be able to get a Big Horn or Laramie trim as I really do enjoy the extra features those trim levels offer, but I'm very happy to know what to look for now.

Thanks everyone for posting your experiences, doing so much research and, most importantly, sticking to your guns through all the denial, lies, and other passing of the buck.

7777xm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I want to thank all the helpful thread participants and the owners of this forum for all the information. I've been shopping 2014 1500's this week and kept hearing a strange noise while in 4WD auto.

The noise was much more pronounced and consistent on the Big Horn (48k miles) than the Laramie (26k miles) but both trucks exhibited this same behavior. This is my first experience with Ram but the sound was something that obviously shouldn't be there. The noise was present only while on the gas gently, usually between about 10-45mph max.

Of course the sales agent had no idea what the noise could be but did acknowledge the sound. He said he could not replicate the noise on brand new trucks. The particular dealer I visited refused to have a tech drive and look at it, which is unfortunate, and so I decided to seek out other options.

After reading through this thread, it seems to me that the noise I heard could be a burnt up clutch or motor. Have any of you experienced a slight noise while driving in 4wd auto at similar low speeds (this was on dry pavement).

I'm disappointed this is an issue and also disappointed that I won't be able to get a Big Horn or Laramie trim as I really do enjoy the extra features those trim levels offer, but I'm very happy to know what to look for now.

Thanks everyone for posting your experiences, doing so much research and, most importantly, sticking to your guns through all the denial, lies, and other passing of the buck.
When it's in 4 auto, 4 high, or 4 low, the T-case is engaged and it will make a little bit of noise then it would when it's disengaged.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

Capitalis

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Then there's something wrong with the transfer case on both or one of the trucks I drove. If that were the case, I would assume the noise should be fairly consistent across vehicles.

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
When it's in 4 auto, 4 high, or 4 low, the T-case is engaged and it will make a little bit of noise then it would when it's disengaged.

For the transfer case 4 auto and 2wd are essentially the same thing. The only difference is the front prop will be spinning.

7777xm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
For the transfer case 4 auto and 2wd are essentially the same thing. The only difference is the front prop will be spinning.
Correct, the transfer case engage the front axle so they're ready for 4 wheel drive but will still be sending all the power to the rear wheels.

And because of this, when going into any of the four wheel drive modes on this transfer case, there is a little more action going on up there which creates noise.

Every single Ram that I have driven with this transfer case has made some sort of noise when in 4 Auto. My room also makes little different noise when it's engaged as well and I could feel it when it's engaged.

The 44 - 44 is a different transfer case in what most of us are used to and it does sound and perform differently. I went back and test-drove other trucks to see if they did the same thing mind it because I thought mine had issues.

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Correct, the transfer case engage the front axle so they're ready for 4 wheel drive but will still be sending all the power to the rear wheels.

And because of this, when going into any of the four wheel drive modes on this transfer case, there is a little more action going on up there which creates noise.

Every single Ram that I have driven with this transfer case has made some sort of noise when in 4 Auto. My room also makes little different noise when it's engaged as well and I could feel it when it's engaged.

The 44 - 44 is a different transfer case in what most of us are used to and it does sound and perform differently. I went back and test-drove other trucks to see if they did the same thing mind it because I thought mine had issues.

The transfer case does not engage the front axle, the front axle engages on its own. The front axle being engaged is what causes more noise. The front axle runs backwards off the other side of the gear which makes more noise.

7777xm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The transfer case does not engage the front axle, the front axle engages on its own. The front axle being engaged is what causes more noise. The front axle runs backwards off the other side of the gear which makes more noise.
All I'm trying to say is that more crap is spinning when you're in for auto and it makes more noise.

The clutches are not engaged when you're not on the throttle but when you're on the throttle they engage which is why he also noticed more noise when he was on the throttle.

I don't know all the terminology in the advanced workings of it like you do and I'm not trying to say you are right or wrong.

But with this transfer case, people will often say certain things are definitely wrong when it's just the nature of this case.

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
All I'm trying to say is that more crap is spinning when you're in for auto and it makes more noise.

The clutches are not engaged when you're not on the throttle but when you're on the throttle they engage which is why he also noticed more noise when he was on the throttle.

I don't know all the terminology in the advanced workings of it like you do and I'm not trying to say you are right or wrong.

But with this transfer case, people will often say certain things are definitely wrong when it's just the nature of this case.

I'm more just trying to clarify for people who might read this thread in the future. There was a lot of misinformation in the beginning which got everyone confused. While I'm at it, the clutches do not engage in the transfer case until it detects slippage, which yes does require throttle.

GP4L

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

Allow me to help (maybe). What you two are talking about is a little difficult to follow, so I may just be reinforcing one of your points regardless. I made this video a while back to show that the front "prop" (driveshaft) spins in 2wd. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qnqoM-vJxr0

However, the last sentence quoted is true. The 44-44 works exactly how it was intended to work. A bad decision made by the product development team confused the hell out of everybody when the 44-44 started being used. It doesn't have a real, old school lock-up feature by design. The only real difference between 4 auto and 4 lock is the way the computer controls the clutch pack inside the transfer case.

The clutch pack is never engaged without traction loss AND a torque demand - which is why you can select 4wd, and watch your rear tires spin on ice, without touching the gas, or applying very light throttle. But that's also why you can leave 4x4 engaged and turn in tight circles on dry pavement without frying the transfer case. That's where the similarities end between Auto and Lock in the 44-44. The computer controls the clutch pack's engagement differently between Auto and Lock.

7777xm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Allow me to help (maybe). What you two are talking about is a little difficult to follow, so I may just be reinforcing one of your points regardless. I made this video a while back to show that the front "prop" (driveshaft) spins in 2wd. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qnqoM-vJxr0

However, the last sentence quoted is true. The 44-44 works exactly how it was intended to work. A bad decision made by the product development team confused the hell out of everybody when the 44-44 started being used. It doesn't have a real, old school lock-up feature by design. The only real difference between 4 auto and 4 lock is the way the computer controls the clutch pack inside the transfer case.

The clutch pack is never engaged without traction loss AND a torque demand - which is why you can select 4wd, and watch your rear tires spin on ice, without touching the gas, or applying very light throttle. But that's also why you can leave 4x4 engaged and turn in tight circles on dry pavement without frying the transfer case. That's where the similarities end between Auto and Lock in the 44-44. The computer controls the clutch pack's engagement differently between Auto and Lock.
It's not hard to follow, but anytime any of the four wheel drive options are selected, something is going on down there. It is not like it's in 2 wheel drive period every 44 - 44 I've driven does this.

GP4L

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
It's not hard to follow, but anytime any of the four wheel drive options are selected, something is going on down there. It is not like it's in 2 wheel drive period every 44 - 44 I've driven does this.

Yes, there's a torque tube (I'm blanking on it's formal name) that's engaged to provide torque to the clutch pack when a 4wd mode is selected. It's entirely possible, and probably likely that shaft/tube creates harmonics that are felt and heard when it's engaged.

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Yes, there's a torque tube (I'm blanking on it's formal name) that's engaged to provide torque to the clutch pack when a 4wd mode is selected. It's entirely possible, and probably likely that shaft/tube creates harmonics that are felt and heard when it's engaged.
In any 4wd mode the front axle gets engaged. Whenever it is determined there is wheel slip a electronic signal is sent to the clutch which then transfers power to the front prop shaft. There is no torque tube, it isn't a corvette.

GP4L

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
In any 4wd mode the front axle gets engaged. Whenever it is determined there is wheel slip a electronic signal is sent to the clutch which then transfers power to the front prop shaft. There is no torque tube, it isn't a corvette.

Lol, I guess I just learned that "torque tubes" are proprietary to Corvette's.
:favorites13:

mcardoza

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My issue is that once the limited slip happens (rear wheels slip while in 4x4 low, 4x4 high or 4x4 auto/ drive or reverse), it tries to engage the front wheels. At that point it pops really loud like someone is hitting the hood with a sledge hammer! It can be at an aggressive angle uphill, downhill or stuck in mud flat.
My personal thought is that the transfer case isn’t working correctly. Either the solenoid is bad or stripped somehow???
I took it into dodge here and they say that the tires are off by the spec of ¼” circumference. Which is *********. It wouldn’t matter if it was stuck in mud.
anyone else have this problem? what was the issue if so?

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
My issue is that once the limited slip happens (rear wheels slip while in 4x4 low, 4x4 high or 4x4 auto/ drive or reverse), it tries to engage the front wheels. At that point it pops really loud like someone is hitting the hood with a sledge hammer! It can be at an aggressive angle uphill, downhill or stuck in mud flat.
My personal thought is that the transfer case isn’t working correctly. Either the solenoid is bad or stripped somehow???
I took it into dodge here and they say that the tires are off by the spec of ¼” circumference. Which is *********. It wouldn’t matter if it was stuck in mud.
anyone else have this problem? what was the issue if so?
If they won't help call ram customer care. They can take a set of tires off of a lot truck and see if it fixes it, of course you might need to wait until winter for that.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

mcardoza

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
transfer case slipping? differenitial slipping?

If they won't help call ram customer care. They can take a set of tires off of a lot truck and see if it fixes it, of course you might need to wait until winter for that.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

well it did it last year and two weeks ago when i had the same tires on it. i only really need it when i go hunting so its an every year for two weeks kind of a thing. it would be nice if it worked...

tjfdesmo

Reaction score
I can't believe this thread is still alive! Anyway, a friend of mine just bought a 1500 BH and it has the 44-44. He acted before I could advise him about the -44 vs -45 t-case. I assume that nothing has changed, meaning it never truly locks?

LouM

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram Ecodiesel crewcab old/ now 2019 Laramie Hemi
Engine
eco diesel old / now Hemi missing the eco's mileage
OK, this is a 94 page discussion, I only have one question.
Has anyone had any good luck with Ram in getting this piece of crap transfer case replaced?
No one has even mentioned the all issues that I noticed last winter, my first with my fancy new ram. One when in Hi 4 Lock placing the the truck in park it is only in 2 wd , also in Low lock 4wd park is only holding the rear axle. I spun out on ice in my driveway, stopped and placed the truck in park to shovel some sand around and as soon as the brake was released as I was starting to open the door the damn truck is slidding backwards down the hill. Going down hill in any of the so called lock modes there is NO hold back from the front end. I have a very steep long driveway, I use studded snow tires to safely navigate up and down this driveway, I have done this with several vehicles, mine and my daughters, Jeep Cherokees, Suzuki Vitras, Chevy K10s and K20's, K2500s, Ford F150s F250 and 350. This is without a doubt the worst excuse for a 4wd I have ever had the misfortune to buy because of this t case otherwise I really like the truck.
And before anyone says it is to fancy of a truck to expect it to be able to work, bull. Also before anyone wants to contest my knowledge and ability to handle and understand 4wd or awd, I have run and worked on them from the mid 60's in highway trucks, farm and construction equipment, off road trucks and I know how they work.
Lou

black14sport

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
OK, this is a 94 page discussion, I only have one question.
Has anyone had any good luck with Ram in getting this piece of crap transfer case replaced?
No one has even mentioned the all issues that I noticed last winter, my first with my fancy new ram. One when in Hi 4 Lock placing the the truck in park it is only in 2 wd , also in Low lock 4wd park is only holding the rear axle. I spun out on ice in my driveway, stopped and placed the truck in park to shovel some sand around and as soon as the brake was released as I was starting to open the door the damn truck is slidding backwards down the hill. Going down hill in any of the so called lock modes there is NO hold back from the front end. I have a very steep long driveway, I use studded snow tires to safely navigate up and down this driveway, I have done this with several vehicles, mine and my daughters, Jeep Cherokees, Suzuki Vitras, Chevy K10s and K20's, K2500s, Ford F150s F250 and 350. This is without a doubt the worst excuse for a 4wd I have ever had the misfortune to buy because of this t case otherwise I really like the truck.
And before anyone says it is to fancy of a truck to expect it to be able to work, bull. Also before anyone wants to contest my knowledge and ability to handle and understand 4wd or awd, I have run and worked on them from the mid 60's in highway trucks, farm and construction equipment, off road trucks and I know how they work.
Lou
X2... Exact same situation here... Multiple dealership visits to multiple dealerships and countless phone calls to RAM that's how it's designed to work, no help as far as trading it even on a different model ram other than the standard "we will give you what is worth" as if I just feel like trading it for the hell of it. Bought an F-250 6 months ago and took the financial hit just for the safety concern alone... Good luck Chrysler seems to be in love with the design.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Last edited: