4X4 Transfer Problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jjdrake06

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hi,

I have an '07 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi with a 243D transfer case. Currently about 61K miles. I went ahead and changed the transfer case fluid ahead of schedule, and used AutoZone ATF+4, which is an authorized fluid in this vehicle according to the Chrysler website. Yes, I filled it to the correct level and road tested it. Worked fine initially.

About a week later, I found myself on a two-track that was a bit much for the old girl, given it's winter time in Micihgan. I had to reverse out about a hundred yards to a turn-around point. No serious beating to the truck, and it seemed ok, until I got back onto the main road.

I switched back to 2WD, (electric switch type), the lights blinked and changed like normal. However, she was quite shaky, and finally switched back to 2WD completely with an accompanying "THUD!" I both heard and felt it. Since then, every time I have shifted into 4WD, the lights work, it tries to shift, but I am getting violent shaking during acceleration the whole time in 4WD, and the same problems described above when I return to 2WD. I was hoping it was getting used to the new fluid. I have since triple verified both the fluid type and the level. Good to go. Please don't insult me or offer unsolicited advice. I fully accept that I may have caused this problem. But what that problem is, well, that's why I'm posting. Haynes manual only offered fluid level/type, and shift linkage, which of course does not apply to my electric shift model.

I hope this is enough info to point me in the right direction for at least diagnosing, if not resolving altogether. Lastly, if it's fine in 2WD, what kind of further damage can I be causing if I continue to drive her in 2WD? Thank you in advance for any help.

-Justin