4x4 without Limited Slip or Locking Axle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HAL9001

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had planned to order a Laramie and I was going to include the electronic locking rear axle option. However, the current employee pricing sale does not apply to orders and I was able to get an incredible deal on a loaded Limited that I couldn't refuse. It was a far better deal than I could ever get on an order.

It has almost every option except the electronic locking rear axle or the Anti-Spin differential. Why they would leave those out on a dealer build is beyond me, especially since I live in the Northeast where we get a lot of snow.

What kind of 4x4 performance can I expect without an anti-slip or locking rear axle? I don't plan to do any serious off-roading, but driving and possibly getting stuck in the snow is a possibility.

Farmer Fran

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited Loaded - Sold
I am not sure how RAM does it but without one or the other how is it s 4x4

Travelin Ram

Reaction score
Somewhere in NA. Probably. We travel a lot.
Ram Year
Engine
Back in the day, LSD was unusual and selectable lockers were not even an option on consumer vehicles. They still built plenty of 4x4’s and we made good use of them.

For driving in snow on graded surfaces it’s not even that big a difference. Traction control and 4wd is a very effective combination for all but the most severe off road conditions.

Winter tires are a big factor too.

BNeal

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Limited
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I wasn't aware you could even get a FWD without one or the other.

392DevilDog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
2019 was the first year ever for a RAM 1500 to have an eLocker as an option.

The anti spin rear has been around awhile...but it also has always been an option.

You do not need either. Traction control makes the truck seem like it has lockers anyways. If you know how to use it properly.

A pavement driven truck does not need them. Even in inclement weather.

Now. Given the option...sure get it. But since the OP missed that opportunity...he will be fine.

MSgtZ

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Not having either in a 4x4 makes it a 2x4 ( ok just joking, but for years I had trucks that were 4x4 without LSD or lockers and they handled the off road and snowy pavement conditions just fine using common sense, with todays traction control I bet even better than anything we had back in the old dark days of the 60's, 70's, 80's and early to late 90's)

392DevilDog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
Right now the only truck that is a 4x4 right now is a Powerwagon. And 2019 is the first year it can lock an axle in anything but 4x4 low.

blackbeautyhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
My buddy wasn’t happy with his ram 1500 having a open rear diff and had our local dealership install limited slip for $800 so if it does bother you it’s not a overly expensive fix.

Quyonmob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
For regular on road use, the average driver fares better with an open rear diff in 4wd in the snow. The tire receiving no torque acts as a lateral stability anchor on low traction surfaces.

For those of us used to aggressive limited slips and lockers, the oversteer is what we expect and want, in the name of moving forward.

Ram is likely marketing to the bulk of the market (the first paragraph) where the driver will just hit auto 4wd and expect hero status in three inches of snow.

Scott J Mirabella

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The only thing I dislike about my 2020 Ram is the lack of limited slip. As far as trucks i've had in the past, I always had to order limited slip as an option. I bought my Rebel of the lot thinking the E-locker would be fine without "posi". Dead wrong! E-locker is only for off road, you can't just leave it on continuously. This truck has no traction at all. spins the single tire on any wet surface, fishtails around turns. I know the factory Goodyears are partially to blame. I have some 35" BFG KO2's coming next week. But I'm also seriouly looking into a Tru Trac differential swap. The egine definetly overpowers the single wheel on wet surfaces. I'm worried about driving on Ice or Snow, something I didn't even think about in my AWD Rav4.

OP
OP
HAL9001

HAL9001

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks for all the great replies, it really helps. It just bugs me that I'm buying a RAM Limited with a ton of options and the original person ordering the truck left out the $495 anti-slip option.

A lot of varying opinions here, and that's understandable given all the choices on the RAM, open diff, anti-spin diff, e-locker, and how each works differently. Each is better (and worse) under certain circumstances.

On modern cars, the brakes also come into play because the computerized braking system can sense when a wheel is slipping, then apply braking to that wheel transferring power to the wheel with more traction. This is how it works on AWD vehicles and how I assume the Auto 4-wheel drive setting works on the RAM. Please correct me if I'm wrong as I don't have my RAM yet.

I currently own an AWD SUV. It's fantastic as long as you're moving, it goes through deep snow like it wasn't there. But if you come to a stop going up a steep hill in deep snow, you never know if you'll get out. You need to first turn off traction control and then put it in low gear. If you finesse it just right, the braking system will not allow any wheel to slip for very long and thus transfer the power to the wheel with more traction. This usually works, but you don't get traction to each of the front or the rear wheels at the same time.

With an anti-spin diff or an e-locker, you can get both rear wheels providing traction at once. This is not good for regular driving but excellent when you get stuck. The anti-spin diff can be used during regular driving, with some manageable side effects, but the e-locker shouldn't be used for regular driving for obvious reasons.

So, each system has its advantages and disadvantages. I would have liked the e-locker for when I got stuck hard, which admittedly may only be a few times over the life of the truck for the driving I do. And I'd prefer the anti-slip over the open diff just for some extra traction when I really needed it, although admittedly the open-diff might have better driving characteristics in the majority of driving circumstances where no extra traction assist is necessary.

Although I don't do it for a living, I'm a competent mechanic. If I end up not liking the open diff, I'll buy an anti-slip and install it myself.

392DevilDog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
Tires are the most important part of the equation. Good tires...will be what jeeps you from getting stuck.

Once stuck...knowledge will get you out. Or should I say experience.

And remember all RAM trucks come with BLDS...Brake Lock Differential System.

Just lightly apply the throttle and stay in it. The system will then make your truck act like it has lockers front anf rear

https://hdrams.com/forum/index.php?...ut-the-powerwagon-lockers-there-is-blds.1246/

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
For the average guy it's fine. I will not buy a truck without the 3.92 and limited slip because I've been stuck enough times with it. Mostly when I lose fwd due to the auto transfer case. So I need at least full 2wd on the rear. Would love a power wagon with the front and rear lockers.

runamuck

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 dsl
I didnt ask for e-locker for mine..it just came with it. I use 4wheel auto when driving in snow and have been in many miles of it with no problem. I even use auto when driving in a hard rain storm..dont know how much it helps on wet roads and ponding rain but have not had any trouble driving in those conditions. I have the Falken wildpeak tires and that probably helps too.

hardEight

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
For the average guy it's fine. I will not buy a truck without the 3.92 and limited slip because I've been stuck enough times with it. Mostly when I lose fwd due to the auto transfer case. So I need at least full 2wd on the rear. Would love a power wagon with the front and rear lockers.
Glad I don't have the Auto transfer case. I'd be pissed.

Took me a while to get used to my Ram with the open diff. Rainy Florida roads + GARBAGE stock tires + 3.92 = lots of peg-legged take offs and fun onramp adventures.

Will be looking to add an LSD at somepoint.

Fatbob Frank

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
My Laramie has open diffs.
It's the first 4x4 I've owned with no LSD in quite a while.
I'm entering my 3rd winter with it and haven't had any problems getting to work at midnight in a blizzard or even driving home in the morning in an ice storm.
I do notice it tends to squeal the rear tire on dry pavement in 2wd more easily.

Last edited:

NOV87

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
...I bought my Rebel of the lot thinking the E-locker would be fine without "posi". Dead wrong! E-locker is only for off road, you can't just leave it on continuously. This truck has no traction at all. spins the single tire on any wet surface, fishtails around turns. I know the factory Goodyears are partially to blame. I have some 35" BFG KO2's coming next week...
Do Rebels come with crappy all season GY tires? I thought they have AT tires stock.

Fatbob Frank

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
I test drove a Rebel before I bought my Laramie.
It came with GY Duratracs on it.
Probably the only GY tires I'd actually own.

NOV87

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I liked Duratracs. GY Ultraterrain AT are good too.